Indiana Needs to get it together!

Indy Diver

I agree, in principle, that we need some organization within the state. However, I'm not sure that we need just one organization. I think you'd be likely to get more participation if you had smaller groups centered in population centers, possibly with an umbrella organization at the state level covering interactions with the state agencies and acting on behalf of the smaller regional organizations.

First, it seems that local park boards would be more likely to want to work with a local group than with someone living in South Bend or Evansville or wherever and claiming to represent people statewide.

Second, speaking only for myself, I'm far more likely to drive across town to talk to other geocachers than I am to drive to Indy and back, and I suspect that's true of a lot of northeastern-area cachers. But we could probably send a delegate to represent us at the state level if the state group needed to present a united front for, say, DNR.

warm.gif

I have to agree with you about local and county park boards should be taken care of on a local basis. The thing I am most concerned about is the State Parks and the Nature Preserves, which are under control of the DNR. I think that contact with the DNR should be done from here in Indy and that it should be directed thru the Outdoors Recreation department. I think these steps should be addressed this way because the local park rangers look at a cache as trash or abandoned material. We all know that they are maintained and taken care of with each visit. Now that almost every State Park has a cache in it if not all of them it is time to consider.

I am thinking of the state of Tennessee who has a really good network going with that States DNR. I have been getting advice from them on how to go about contacting the DNR and what approach to use on them. The main thing is to go thru the Outdoor Recreation department. They can set a policy for the entire state and control it from there. This takes the local park rangers out of the picture, as far and getting approval except for where the cache is placed has to be approved at the park level.

What I do not want to see happen is a ranger stumbles on to a cache and with that discovery all caching gets banned in all parks. I can see once contact has been made that some caches might have to be relocated or removed. That would be OK, as long cachers cooperate with them.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Cache On!

Indy Diver

In Minnesota, the DNR banned geocaching in all State Parks last June. I think this was a wake-up call to get organized and be prepared for County or City ordinances. I haven't been involved with any of the meetings, but three counties are working with the Minnesota Geocaching Association to get something we can bothe live with.

You may find something useful here:

Minnesota Geocaching Association

ID - I have to admit that I don't spend any time in this discussion area but I did look this up when you said you had no replies to getting together. Maybe there are others in Indy who are like me and don't know what is going on in other states/areas to realize that we need to work with the DNR to continue being able to geocache. J & I most enjoy the caches in the parks, nature perserves, and along the trails. We sure don't want to lose those. What are the issues with the government with geocaching in other states? Maybe if people were better informed as to what was going on elsewhere, they'd be more inclined to want to get involved.

I strongly agree that we need to work together to make sure that we can continue to use the great properties that the state has.

I agree with Indy that we need a STATE organization, but also think that we need local or regional groups under the overall direction of a state organization.

I am very close to the Michigan border, so I try to keep in touch with MIGO (Michigan Geocaching Organization). When we do organize we should develop some channel of communication between groups in neighboring states.

I would be willing to come down to Indianapolis to work on getting this group going. (Event cache or not LOL) If the spring picnic was not so far off, that would be a good time to start, but it would probably be better to get going a lot sooner.

Thanks for the Adventures

Gary and Mary

I've just visted a couple forums on Illinois geocaching. You might want to check them out it may help you in your state.

The forums are:

Geocaching in Illinois (look at Dustystar's comment)and Please check out IDNR Geocaching Policy Forum These might help you when you contact you Indiana DNR.

I would like IndyDiver for taking the initiative and decide that we need to do something about the forseen restrictions to our beloved sport. This meeting I believe will spark some growth within our what used to be our silent community and get this sport in the books where it belongs. Cudos to IndyDiver!!! See everyone at the meeting!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_cool.gificon_rolleyes.gif

http:www.geocaching.com/gear_sm.jpeg[img/]

Well, I don't visit the forums much anymore and just came across this. I'm curious as to whether anyone has approached the DNR regarding geocaching. With the large number of caches in the state parks, I find it difficult, if not impossible, to believe that they are not aware of them.

I've not dealt with any state park officials but have had great success with county parks' departments. Both LaGrange county and Noble county parks were very receptive to geocaching. LaGrange county did a write up on geocaching in their parks newsletter and Noble county did an article in the local newspaper about a multi-cache that I placed in one of their parks. I also know that St. Joe county parks has put out their own caches that I've heard are quite good.

I do agree that an organized approach would be the best way to keep geocaching a viable activity in our state parks. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread and see what develops...

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.