GPSMAP 64 v3.00 Released

GPSMAP 64 software version 3.00 has been released.

Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:

• Fixed issue with geocaching 'Next Stage' feature.
  • Fixed potential issue with geocache filters.

Busy week for Garmin! Just in time for a good workout in the woods this weekend. :D

Version 3.00 doesn't fix the initially bogus geocacher filter problem.

To recap: if a geocache has type "other" or "not chosen", it doesn't appear on the map after power-up. If you then go to the geocache filter screen, don't make any changes (since my filter is already set to show everything) and hit the "apply filter" button, those caches now appear on the map.

Sigh. Before I realized this bug existed, I biked right past two geocaches that existed but didn't appear on my map. :-(

Thanks for the heads up! Haven't loaded it myself yet, but I will give it a try today or tomorrow. Doesn't sound like it's totally fixed per the above info. Still, glad these bug reports are at least going somewhere in Garmin, and not just into the abyss.

Edited by Pacific NW

Version 3.00 doesn't fix the initially bogus geocacher filter problem.

To recap: if a geocache has type "other" or "not chosen", it doesn't appear on the map after power-up. If you then go to the geocache filter screen, don't make any changes (since my filter is already set to show everything) and hit the "apply filter" button, those caches now appear on the map.

Sigh. Before I realized this bug existed, I biked right past two geocaches that existed but didn't appear on my map. :-(

That might not be a Garmin bug. I think I read elsewhere that Groundspeak changed some programming in their GPX file format that is responsible for the '?' caches not being recognized properly by a variety of devices and apps.

Did the update to FW 3.00. Yup, confirming the same as klossner above, the cache filter issue with "Other" and "Not Chosen" sizes still not working right. If it is due to Groundspeak's changes with GPX files, hopefully things are returned to how they were.

Edited by Pacific NW

I'm at fw 3.0 and have a problem. I have removed the default geocaching database, cause it was not relevant/updated (just renamed GGZ-folder to GGZ-backup). Then I created a Pocket Query with the geocaches in my area and downloaded the file to the GPX folder in the GSPMAP 64st. Powered on and all the caches was there - perfect! But then I powered off to save batteries, and when I powered on again the caches doesn't show - but the file is still there in the GPX-folder - nothing else changed - just a power off and then on again.

Bug?

The only way I could figure out to get it temporary working again was:

1 - Remove the GPX-file from the computer

2 - Disconnect from the computer and then power on and power off GPSMAP 64 st

3 - Connect to the computer and place the GPX file again in the GPX-folder

4 - Disconnect from the computer

5 - Power on when I want to use GPSMAP 64st for geocaching.

Is there a way to fix it - or is it a bug in the firmware?

I'm going to guess that perhaps renaming the GGZ folder is what caused the problem. I upgraded to FW 3.00 yesterday and then copy 'n' pasted two GPX files to the GPX folder. Seems to be fine after many power off/ons. However, I have nothing in the GGZ folder -- I deleted all three files there and just kept the empty folder (the caches are out of date anyways).

So if you're trying to preserve the big GGZ file for later, maybe rename the GGZ folder to how it was originally, and just copy the three GGZ files to your computer until needed. I have no idea if you can have both GPX cache files *and* GGZ cache files present on the device at the same time.

Not to keep dogging on Garmin, but it would be really nice for them to provide instructions for how to handle all these different files and folders on the GPS unit.

Edited by Pacific NW

Sorry - I forgot to write that I made an empty GGZ folder, so your suggestion doesn't do the trick for me. I even tried to make a GGZ-file from a GPX with ggzgen.exe. Seemed to work nice, until I connected Basecamp - then the manual uploaded GGZ-file (named as preload.ggz) was not recognized any more by the GPSMAP 64st.

Got it (for now - wonder just for how long?) working again by removing the GGZ-file connected to computer, power-off, power-on without connection to computer, power-off, power-on with USB-cable and move the GGZ to GPSMAP 64st again, remove USB-cable, power-on again and answer yes to import, wait 15 minutes and the power off, power on and then it's working again.

If I make a GGZ-file it seems to work longer, but be aware that I think Basecamp is screwing up the GGZ-file.

Yeah - It would be nice to have a proper way/instruction how to handle your GPX-files, cause every active Geocacher would probably update their GGZ/GPX-file every week. This is the main reason I bought a GPSMAP 64st - and that function is bugging a lot!

On my 64s, I deleted the entire GGZ folder and it's contents with no ill effects. I put all my maps and GPX files on the SD card and have had no troubles like this.

When I did my experiment with editing and adding to the GGZ files, I used GSAK instead of BaseCamp. I do not believe Basecamp recognizes GGZ files.

Haven't been using Basecamp at all, thought it was more effective to place it directly on GPSMAP 64st 8GB internal memory. But I think I'll have to give up. It gives me two option left:

1 - Use Basecamp to import the GPX-files

2 - Buy an SD-card and place the GPX-files there

Testing option 1 to see if its stable... If not I'll go for option 2.

I have no problems with the OSM-map-files (img), placing then directly to the GPSMAP 64 st memory.

Hi

I tryed to help an good friend to put his old maps from an dakota 20 over to his brand new gpsmap 64s. Did it the same way as on his old gps, but nothing showing up in gps/maps. I put the maps in the memmorycard in folder named garmin....

Is there some changing how to do it... Orginale maps of course

Can you provide more specific information? Without knowing more it's hard to know what advice to give.

Were they Garmin maps he paid for, or else third-party free maps from online? Did they come on an SD card originally, were installed from a CD or DVD, or just downloaded? Were they unlocked to his original GPS, the Dakota 20?

Its from his PC, any cd is gone. His Dakota is broken, but he did make a backup from the old garmin. That map info i tried to put into the same folder and place on the new 64s gps. Nothing show up after restarting...

Next option before his holiday, is to try putting in some free maps, so his holiday caching is not broken :-)

Edited by hIa69

Some maps get locked to the device and will need Garmin's assistance to get the license transferred to a new device. Some of the Garmin maps are easily transferred from device to device. I had the Garmin 24k topo maps on an eTrex 30 and had no issues when moving it to the 64s when I upgraded.

Haven't been using Basecamp at all, thought it was more effective to place it directly on GPSMAP 64st 8GB internal memory. But I think I'll have to give up. It gives me two option left:

I have no problems with the OSM-map-files (img), placing then directly to the GPSMAP 64 st memory.

Option 1 wasn't stable - the caches was suddenly gone - now going for option 2

Option 1 wasn't stable - the caches was suddenly gone - now going for option 2

Nope - that (use an microSD-card) didn't do it either. After a couples power off/on the geocaching files is not longer recognised by the GPSMAP 64, and it doesn't matter if you place them directly on the microSD card or by using Basecamp. I would say that the GPSMAP 64st right now at fw 3.0 is almost useless if you want to put your own GPX-files (like PQ from www.geocaching.com) on it. You'll only be frustrated that the files are there, and when you are out on the field and power on again (or replacing the batteries) the caches won't be recognised - ahhhh.

Nope - that (use an microSD-card) didn't do it either. After a couples power off/on the geocaching files is not longer recognised by the GPSMAP 64, and it doesn't matter if you place them directly on the microSD card or by using Basecamp. I would say that the GPSMAP 64st right now at fw 3.0 is almost useless if you want to put your own GPX-files (like PQ from www.geocaching.com) on it. You'll only be frustrated that the files are there, and when you are out on the field and power on again (or replacing the batteries) the caches won't be recognised - ahhhh.

I've had a 64s for a few months and have not had any difficulties in this area with mine. I keep all GPX files and maps on the SD card. I have not had any troubles recognizing GPX files directly from Groundspeak (PQ files), GPX exports from BaseCamp, or GPX files exported from my Android mobile app, CacheSense. There was a bug concerning Geocache Filters in pre-v3.0 firmware, but I can verify that it was fixed with 3.0. I suggest you check your geocache filter settings, and make sure the filter is set to show ALL caches.

If you are losing cache listings after a power cycle, you may have a defective 64. Garmin customer support should be able to help you resolve this.

You might try contacting Garmin's customer service. You should be able to copy pocket query GPX files to the GPX folder on the device, and have them recognized.

Yepp - I've contactetd Garmin support here in Sweden - but no solution from them - just question. The weird think is that the GPX-file is recognized for a couple of boots, and then it refuses - but the file is still there - and I've haven't been USB-attached it meanwhile - just been using it in the woods....