Garmin - the Advanced User Manual >> HERE!

What I could see online is all pretty dated material (only older units features and methods are covered), but some of the basic principles of GPS would apply across the board. But for the most part, this book would only apply to users of units discontinued some years back.

This manual taught me how to access every function and was invaluable to work out what i could do with the Etrex 20!

The information here is up to date because the features you find in the new models only differ in presentation, the functions remain the same under the bling. How different is it to drive a car after 10 new models, nothing!

GPS is no newer than when the older units on the cover were made! Don't confuse bling for bang, once your learn the basics everything else becomes easy.

It's as relevant today as when it was written.

B)

@Odourless

The specific techniques required to perform certain functions have drifted a good bit from the old paradigm with the 'current' touchscreen models and several of the toggle versions. You'd need to incorporate, at a minimum, the sort of information found here http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com to bring that tome up to date. My 60csx didn't have the first clue about a "profile", for example, nor why I'd care about them, and neither does the book.

^^ No book covers the basics like this one. So what's changed so much that makes this manual obsolete? Gee do satellites send out new signals? Does north point somewhere else besides north. Is a waypoint something different to what it is? Hardly.

The manual covers the fundamentals for Garmin. If you need to learn newer functions like how to use a touch screen then buy Touch Screen For Dummies.

Most cars still have four wheels but I guess you don't need to know that...

As I said originally, "...but some of the basic principles of GPS would apply across the board." but that's about all. The manual doesn't cover the 'fundamentals' of operation for the vast majority of the newer Garmin units, and with Garmin's documentation as thin as it is (which no doubt prompted the writing of the book in the first place!), other sources ARE useful ... just not this one. As noted in the signature line, I have both older and newer models, and the differences may be more significant than you realize. For example (and this perhaps one of the BIGGEST differences), newer models operate as a 'mass storage device' (like a thumb drive), which opens up all kinds of new possibilities, and certainly changes ones interaction with the device when it comes to loading and deleting content. One certainly couldn't just slide a *.gpx file onto a Summit HC using a PC's copy and paste.

Really, that page is mostly useless for a new unit. There is no paperless Geocaching, which is very important to the people on THIS site. There is no track management (in the way it is done currently). Just two major examples.

I remember that guide. It is from the very early days.

Edited by Red90

Really, that page is mostly useless for a new unit.

I have an Etrex 20 and it answered almost all the questions I had that the manual didn't cover.

You don't know what you're talking about!

Paperless geocaching is a feature, not a function. :rolleyes:

I have an Etrex 20 and it answered almost all the questions I had that the manual didn't cover.

I actually do know what I'm talking about. I've owned a dozen units since the late 90's. You do not know very many features of your own GPS if you think that old guide is complete. This is a Geocaching specific site so Geocaching features are of the utmost importance to the people here. Perhaps you should find somewhere else to complain.

Edited by Red90

I can't help thinking this fact might have something to do with all the problems you seem to have with your Etrex20 and the fact you think it's such a bad piece of kit, whereas many others think it's a great unit B)

I'm not talking about paperless functionality, I'm talking about things like the basic computer interface, which isn't anything like the older models. Get yer butt out here to Colorado and I'll introduce you to units made in this millennium that don't fit your model very well. I own both old and new Garmins, so it's not like I don't know the difference.

Sounds like someone as a vested interest in stimulating interest.....Hmmmmm I thought that was frowned upon here.....

In other news, I found a great book for learning everything you need to know about computers! It answers all your questions.....

0511-c64.jpg

I actually do know what I'm talking about. ....

10-4, I never argue with Red90.

Ok, ok! It seems that I'm just wrong with everything, so be it... I learnt more stuff about how to operate my Etrex 20 than any other source I could find. :P

...I put this up for those who were looking for a manual to work out what the heck stuff means when trying to learn GPS. :)

OK, so it's some what out of date but sheesh, Garmin stuff ain't that advanced for it to be completely obsolete!

This book covers the basic functions of GPS and in some depth. What it does not cover is individual functions of particular models. I found this helpful because it teaches the art not the machine as such.

That said, let others look at it when info like this is generally unavailable and then let those lookers judge for themselves.

I was only trying to help, I guess I won't bother 'trying' here again.

<_<

Edited by Odourless

Ok, ok! It seems that I'm just wrong with everything, so be it... ..

I was only trying to help, I guess I won't bother 'trying' here again.

<_<

That's OK. This forum is about hiding and finding caches anyway, of which you do none.

CowboyPapa

Who has never done a brain surgery and does not go on medical forums telling medical doctors about their medical instruments.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Nasty comments not welcome!

Troll troll troll ... I've given up 'discussing' with Odourless :)

Excuse me but how can 'I' be the troll IN MY OWN THREAD! :rolleyes:

It seems you "Susy" are the biggest forum troll of all. If you don't have anything positive to add then why are you here, AGAIN?

telling medical doctors about their medical instruments.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/index.html

LOL, I refer to one of the authorities on Garmin GPS through one of the definitive online manuals and you laud mass ignorance as an excuse to stifle debate here...

:blink:

~

Edited by Odourless

I'm guessing that they believe you are still interested in selling the hard copy version?

Selling?

original-copy.jpeg

I'm interested in buying the hard copy version if only I could find a copy to buy.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Odourless