Wisconsin Geocaching Assocation and the DNR

kbraband

Several of you have been asking about our state's official position on geocaching. In light of what is happening in Minnesota, we want to be proactive and create a friendly, cooperative, and informative relationship with the Wisconsin DNR. Therefore, we've decided to initiate contact with the DNR now, before they formulate a final opinion on the sport.

We WGA planners, are asking you to let us represent you to the Wisconsin DNR. By working together, we have the best chance of seeing that geocaching is allowed to continue on state-run land.

To make this work, it's going to take a unified effort on the part of Wisconsin geocachers. If you have comments that you would like to see entered into the discussion with the DNR, please post them in this special forum we have created at the Wisconsin Geocaching Association web site. We will take your comments, consolidate them, and attempt to put them together in a thoughtful, cooperative manner so we can assure the DNR we are serious about helping them preserve the state's public lands for all to enjoy.

Ken Braband

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Ken,

I think that opening a dialog is a good way to go. From my conversations with the folks in the southern unit of the kettle moraine, their biggest concern and misconception is that finds are buried and that we will harm fragile areas. I do quite a bit of work for these folks (just built a parking lot west of paradise springs this week) and brought up the subject of geocaching to "BUD" who's head of maintenance. His main concern is damage to the environment. His budget is $5k per month for the entire southern unit, so I can see his concerns. I think that persuading the DNR that we (geocachers) can be used as an asset is a pretty good strategy. Getting involved in some of their volunteer programs such as adopt a trail would be a start. It seems that the DNR has a problem in getting the information down to the worker bee level as well, we saw that during the campout at dodge. So I would recommend to contact the people at the top, but I would also recommend that every geocacher talk to park people at every opportunity. That means all the employees; rangers, maintenance, volunteers, etc. Having a few voices stand up for us during their meetings would go a long way towards furthering our cause. Contact me if theres anything I can do to help.

Larry

1.jpg

NOW WHERE DID I LEAVE THOSE SKIS?

I have just gotten into Geocaching at the end of May 2002 and realized that I loved the hobby/sport right from the start. I've hidden 8 caches so far and 4 of them are in the Roche-A-Cri State Park (please see Roche-A-Cri #1 - #4) with permissions from the Ranger. (I had to wait 2 weeks to get the permission after my first presentation/approach)

Because I came to them first with considerations.. backed with my commitment to constantly monitor the impact to the area I hid the final cache upon.. I was given permissions. This State Park has a Registered Historical Site plus has a protected Natural area. I respect why the DNR wishes to protect certain areas.. my micro cache there is easily gained without breaking their rules yet allows a fun hunt and a beautiful view. As far as my normal cache placement was reconsidered after I gave much thought to how some geocachers love to blaze off trails.. so hence my first site option was moved to a less sensitive area. (I did not hide the cache first then ask permissions to relocate it. I went back to get the Ranger's permission to relocate it.) And yes, I did get permission to hide the normal cache container "off trail". Surprised??

I feel if we work hand in hand with the State Parks that we can actually have their respect. But if we sneak around behind their backs and show no respect to their rules, naturally we all then look like we do not respect the area they try to preserve.

After my 75th cache.. I cannot call myself an expert on Geocaching.. all I can state is how much I love this sport and how much I am willing to commit time to it. It has given me (a single white female over the age of 35) the option to enjoy these areas by myself. How, without Geocaching.com, I'd have never ventured into the scope of understanding how beautiful our "Wisconsin" truly is.

I thank all those geocachers that have taken the time to find these special placement spots and how much it means to me to share in their secrets/discoveries. We are not a bunch of renegades that trash our natural resources.. I constantly walk with trash bag in hand now as most other geocachers do.. and I take great pride in knowing that Wisconsin is staffed with quality DNR/Ranger staff.. so why not respect what they are trying to protect and work with them instead of against them.

A parting comment.. I just came from a full day at Governor Dodge State Park and I had the amazing experience to venture into a small cave (please see "I Dare You" cache). I had stopped to pick up the official park map and NOWHERE was this cave mentioned on their map, yet there are two signs on the small trail that says "CAVE" so it's common understanding that the Park allows entry into this area. Yet it took Geocaching for me to find it and enjoy in the experience. And this is only one of the AMAZING adventures I've been on..

I've done most of my caches solo, yet with being a member of Geocaching.com, I DON'T feel alone when on my trips. And I'm constantly showing others, that I encounter on my journey, how amazing this hobby is.. because they think it's amazing to see a single older female out hiking.. I even had an Amish family, at Roche-A-Cri, help me in finding the perfect spot for my micro. It was a perfect day and many more to come.

~The Lil Otter

(AKA Lorrie)

(will post this to the Wisc Geocaching area as well)