Release Notes - June 18, 2014

No, I have nothing on the watch list. One of my notifications is for Traditional caches - published, enabled, disabled. That's it. I.e. GS is spamming me about enabled listing of the cache I've found 2 years ago. Why??? I don't want this.

Then turn that notification off.

You are invaluable :lol: You know that?

If the whole concern is bandwidth, GS please be so kind and stop sending me notifications about caches which I've found. I am not interested. This will be very appreciated and I am asking this for several years. If I am mistaken and this option already exist, I apologize and would like to know how to set this thing up. Thx.

Strange, I never get notifications on caches I found. Do you have those caches on a watch list?

No, I have nothing on the watch list. One of my notifications is for Traditional caches - published, enabled, disabled. That's it. I.e. GS is spamming me about enabled listing of the cache I've found 2 years ago. Why??? I don't want this.

You actually have 3 notifications setup for a variety of cache types. Check it out here:

http://www.geocaching.com/notify/default.aspx

Also, you appear to have a secondary email address associated with your account which is shared by as many as 32 other geocachers.

Then turn that notification off.

You are invaluable :lol: You know that?

I wouldn't go that far.

I do, however, know not to paint myself the victim of something that I control myself. I might even go so far as to place my suggestion in the appropriate "Feature Request" forum thread if I thought it warranted.

If the whole concern is bandwidth, GS please be so kind and stop sending me notifications about caches which I've found. I am not interested. This will be very appreciated and I am asking this for several years. If I am mistaken and this option already exist, I apologize and would like to know how to set this thing up. Thx.

Strange, I never get notifications on caches I found. Do you have those caches on a watch list?

You actually have 3 notifications setup for a variety of cache types. Check it out here.

It could also be caches in a bookmark that has the option "Notify me when items on this list are logged" enabled.

Also, you appear to have a secondary email address associated with your account which is shared by as many as 32 other geocachers.

The plot thickens!

Edited by Chrysalides

You actually have 3 notifications setup for a variety of cache types. Check it out here:

Yes, I have setup 3 notifications, and ???? Why are you keep sending me notifications about my found caches? I would appreciate any type of kind help, not to point at me "hey, you have 3 notifications etc. etc.". I assume, I can have more than one e-mail address, right?

Yes, I have setup 3 notifications, and ???? Why are you keep sending me notifications about my found caches? I would appreciate any type of kind help, not to point at me "hey, you have 3 notifications etc. etc.". I assume, I can have more than one e-mail address, right?

You were given some leads to follow in the last few posts, but if you need more help please send us an email with a link to the cache so we can assist you. This thread is focused on the latest release. Thank you.

Video: http://youtu.be/m8CLaBGpmC0

1, (0:15) really small font in textarea, i dont think that oldest players can read what they are writing

2, (0:25) after sending e-mail there is no text like "E-mail was send"

3, (0:47) after sending e-mail I cant send mail to another user (nothing happend after choosing nick)

4, (is not in video) Received e-mail is in HTML, but I cant click to "User's Profile: http://coord.info/PRXXXXX" because it is only plain text.

I Just noticed that the option to specify an alternate Email address no-longer appears on the PQ creation page; so all new PQs will go to my default Email, however all my existing PQs still go to the alternate address which I set up when they were created, and there's no way to change them back to the default Email.

Edit to add: FWIW I think the change to the PQs is on the whole a positive. I asked for the notification Email to include a download link over a year ago, and this new way of notifying makes life a lot simpler for me.

Edited by MartyBartfast
however all my existing PQs still go to the alternate address which I set up when they were created, and there's no way to change them back to the default Email.

Have you tried to copy one of the old ones to a new PQ and running that? That may reset the email addy.

however all my existing PQs still go to the alternate address which I set up when they were created, and there's no way to change them back to the default Email.

Have you tried to copy one of the old ones to a new PQ and running that? That may reset the email addy.

Yes I did. No it didn't.

I suspect (and hope) this is a bug/oversight and the option to specify alternate Email addresses will be reinstated. If it's been deliberately withdrawn for some reason it should have been documented in the release notes.

Unfortunatly there are no hyperlinks in e-mails as before. So the new system is less comfortable than the former system.

My PQ notification email includes a "Download now" link. Are you referring to something else?

Sorry, I'm referring to

[...]

This release also increased performance to a new email system.

My PQ notification email is ok.

I Just noticed that the option to specify an alternate Email address no-longer appears on the PQ creation page; so all new PQs will go to my default Email, however all my existing PQs still go to the alternate address which I set up when they were created, and there's no way to change them back to the default Email.

I've noticed that too. I suspect that the removal of the alternate is intentional as I imagine the reason for it was to prevent primary email boxes filling up with the attachments. Now that's no longer an issue then the alternate isn't required. I guess that continuing to send emails about existing PQs to the alternate email is an oversight and should be corrected. Or give us back the alternate :).

On a similar note, the emails now have a subject of:

"Geocaching: Your Pocket Query, [PQ name], is now available."

Please could this revert to the more succinct, simpler to filter, and defacto standard of:

"[GEO] Pocket Query: [PQ name]"

Yes I did. No it didn't.

I suspect (and hope) this is a bug/oversight and the option to specify alternate Email addresses will be reinstated. If it's been deliberately withdrawn for some reason it should have been documented in the release notes.

This was indeed an oversight and will be returned to normal very soon.

Please give us the PQ back in the email.

I use more than one account to get the PQ's I need, and have been using the email to collect all my accounts PQ's in a single mailbox.

With the new setup, I have to log in to every single account, and manually download the PQ's.

The feature with PQ in emails a very useful tool for me, and the new setup is a long step backwards.

/HelgeLarsen

Please give us the PQ back in the email.

I use more than one account to get the PQ's I need, and have been using the email to collect all my accounts PQ's in a single mailbox.

With the new setup, I have to log in to every single account, and manually download the PQ's.

The feature with PQ in emails a very useful tool for me, and the new setup is a long step backwards.

/HelgeLarsen

Got the same problem got multipple accounts only pourose is to get PQ files in mail

After this update, emails sent through the website to other users... are now received in my mailbox as HTML-only, which is rather annoying.

I am also receiving HTML emails now. I really hope that the loss of the text-only option was an oversight and not intentional?

Edited by DavidMac

Another change that does not appear to have been covered yet. Prior to the update, I could go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/statistics_edit.aspx & edit my milestones to change & lock/unlock them if the automated process got them wrong - for example you logged (often even purposely pre-selected) a certain cache as your xxx'th milestone, only for the system to select some other one on that day due to some random order known to itself (order of logging?, time stamps?).

Subsequent to the update I can no longer edit my milestones. I get to view the list and even see the popup: "A list of geocache milestones for <username> is displayed. To edit your own milestones visit the statistics settings page." When I click the link all I can change is the "Show milestones" checkbox.

Another change that does not appear to have been covered yet. Prior to the update, I could go to http://www.geocachin...stics_edit.aspx & edit my milestones to change & lock/unlock them if the automated process got them wrong - for example you logged (often even purposely pre-selected) a certain cache as your xxx'th milestone, only for the system to select some other one on that day due to some random order known to itself (order of logging?, time stamps?).

Subsequent to the update I can no longer edit my milestones. I get to view the list and even see the popup: "A list of geocache milestones for <username> is displayed. To edit your own milestones visit the statistics settings page." When I click the link all I can change is the "Show milestones" checkbox.

Go here: http://www.geocachin...statistics.aspx

Click on the "Milestones" tab. Under the "action" catagory, click on each milestone's pencil icon to choose the cache.

On another note, maps aren't appearing on any statistics pages. I'm using Chrome Version 35.0.1916.153 m

Edited by ADKer

Another change that does not appear to have been covered yet. Prior to the update, I could go to http://www.geocachin...stics_edit.aspx & edit my milestones to change & lock/unlock them if the automated process got them wrong - for example you logged (often even purposely pre-selected) a certain cache as your xxx'th milestone, only for the system to select some other one on that day due to some random order known to itself (order of logging?, time stamps?).

Click on the "Milestones" tab. Under the "action" catagory, click on each milestone's pencil icon to choose the cache.

Thanks for the quick response. All hunky dory & I can happily edit away.

Though this raises another question. Why are there now two apparently almost duplicate pages? I could understand if one was the "private" page & the other the "public" but both are talking to "you" and both the basic & maps tabs are identical (apart from one having buttons & the other tabs that is).

http://www.geocaching.com/my/statistics.aspx

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/

Thanks for the quick response. All hunky dory & I can happily edit away.

Though this raises another question. Why are there now two apparently almost duplicate pages? I could understand if one was the "private" page & the other the "public" but both are talking to "you" and both the basic & maps tabs are identical (apart from one having buttons & the other tabs that is).

http://www.geocachin...statistics.aspx

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/

No problem!

I think the one is suppose to mimic the how the public views your profile, while the other gives some more in depth personal stuff. I do remember Moun10Bike saying a little while ago that they were working on redesigning the "personal" page. So maybe it's all the beginning of that.

I received a notification about a player sending the answers to one of my Earthcache's in HTML. Looked through all my account settings and cannot find a way to have text only. In this day and age of data cap's and mobile devices, Need to find a way to disable or strip to plain txt. This is a MUST have feature.

Really like that can download 10 PQ's a day and will probably never reach the maximum. There are times that a sixth was needed.

Have watched the site grow from the beginning of my time here (2008) and is very robust. Yes, some growing pains and cannot please everyone.. But in the end.. We have a great time caching once a week.

This is clearly the most bang that I can get out of $30/yr and have a lot of great fun.

After this update, emails sent through the website to other users (EDIT: apparently this affects all emails, including PQ emails ... argh!) are now received in my mailbox as HTML-only, which is rather annoying. Previously there was a text/plain option that my email client displayed without problems. Now my mails look like this:

It would be most appreciated if this could be fixed.

I would also be most appreciative if this could be un-broken. I quite often use a command line client to read email (oddly enough, I also use mutt) and HTML formatted emails are not terribly useful in that environment.

Edited by van der Decken

I received a notification about a player sending the answers to one of my Earthcache's in HTML. Looked through all my account settings and cannot find a way to have text only. In this day and age of data cap's and mobile devices, Need to find a way to disable or strip to plain txt. This is a MUST have feature.

Funny you should mention "in this day and age": the first thing that occurred to me was just the opposite: that some people prefer to read mail with text tools that date back before everything just had to be graphical.

My PQ to find New Hides in my area has not updated since this upgrade took place. I did get one notification following the upgrade that a new hide was published (nothing since then)and it did not show up on my "New Hides" PQ. How can I fix the PQ to get correct results again. I looked at the structure of the request and it seems OK. :(

The change from attachment to link is not an issue for me UNLESS the link expires or is overwritten quickly. When I run a PQ to download caches I intend to look for, the PQ is generally more than 500 caches, so I would not have received an attachment anyway. For this type, the new link is better. My problem may be for my scheduled PQ's. I have 2 PQ's that I have scheduled to run twice a week.

PQ-Mystery - This is the PQ of caches in my Mystery database in GSAK. It includes solved puzzles and multi's I have started, and not yet finished. This PQ updates infor like active/disabled/archived and also adds most recent logs.

PQ-My_Hides - This PQ of all my hides that I use to update the logs in my MY_Hides GSAK database, so that the stats I generate are correct.

I typically load the Mystery PQ into GSAK about once a week or two. The My Hides update of GSAK is done less often - as time permits.

If these PQ results are overwritten each time the PQ is executed (like shows up in the ready for download link), I will need to be updating GSAK every few days. This would be quite inconvenient. For Mystery's, missing a PQ wouldn't be a big deal, but missing a My Hides PQ may cause me to miss loading some logs, if the cache has many finds over a short time.

I just downloaded my weekly PQ to GSAK. It worked for me just like it always did with the attachment; click the link and I get an option to save the file or open it in GSAK. My area has just enough activity that my PQ (caches published or logged in the past week) is right around 500, sometimes more and sometimes less. In the past, sometimes my email would have an attachment, and sometimes just a link, depending how much activity was in the area. This new system saves a step if I have over 500 caches in the PQ. I like it.

Read the previous release notes

Release Notes:

Premium Member Pocket Queries make a leap forward in two words: More and Easier.

• More: Now Premium Members will be able to download twice as many Pocket Queries a day, from 5 to 10 PQ's a day.
  • Easier: All PQ's deliver a new custom email with a direct link to download the PQ in one click. Users must be logged into Geocaching.com to download the file directly.

With this update we're retiring the older system of including attachments for PQ's with 500 or fewer results. We've also reverted the change from "Unknown" to "Mystery" in GPX files, meaning that "?" caches will display and filter properly in those applications and devices that could not handle the terminology change.

This release also increased performance to a new email system.

Thank you for the increase in number of pocket queries per day. While increasing the number of caches per pocket query would have allowed me to download the same number of caches a day, it would mean that I could not directly load a single pocket query directly onto some of my GPS's. This would have been a new hassle. You struck a good balance.

I do not use the emailed PQ's so this does not impact me. Years ago, it might have.

Thanks again.

Dear Groundspeak,

after the last change I'm unable to receive PQs via mail. Is thery any chance to get the old pq-mailing back? Since I have a 2nd Premium Account only used to receiving PQ mails, it makes no longer sense to pay for it. Is there any chance to get the money back?

Regards

Marmotte

Well since the change I reorganised my PQs and decided to schedule them all over the weekend to check that they return the right caches, so scheduled 10 for Saturday and 10 for Sunday, they all ran perfectly and I got 20,000 caches downloaded - that would previously have taken my whole quota of 500 cache PQs scheduled over a week.

I asked for a direct link to the PQs in the notification Emails ages ago and I for one am happy with this change.

I asked for a direct link to the PQs in the notification Emails ages ago and I for one am happy with this change.

Asking from pure curiosity - the URL to download a PQ never changes, so why is it useful to have it in the notification email?

The download URL for each PQ (the one that says "Download Now" in the mail) is specific to that PQ, and if I generate new PQs they will also come with their own download URL. So all my PQ mails are sent to a dedicated account which automatically downloads the PQ using the embedded URL which is better than having the attatchments clogging up the mailbox.

Well since the change I reorganised my PQs and decided to schedule them all over the weekend to check that they return the right caches, so scheduled 10 for Saturday and 10 for Sunday, they all ran perfectly and I got 20,000 caches downloaded - that would previously have taken my whole quota of 500 cache PQs scheduled over a week.

Before in the same way you did now 4 days instead of 2 now... 5PQ/day with 1000 in each the sama way as you did now...a big improvement?

Asking from pure curiosity - the URL to download a PQ never changes, so why is it useful to have it in the notification email?

The download URL for each PQ (the one that says "Download Now" in the mail) is specific to that PQ, and if I generate new PQs they will also come with their own download URL. So all my PQ mails are sent to a dedicated account which automatically downloads the PQ using the embedded URL which is better than having the attatchments clogging up the mailbox.

What I meant is that once a PQ is created, the download link is fixed, so you could create an association of PQ name to URL. I do agree that having the URL within the email makes it easier to maintain.

I've managed to download by using the authentication cookie from my browser, but it seems a little clunky. How do you download the PQs automatically?

Before in the same way you did now 4 days instead of 2 now... 5PQ/day with 1000 in each the sama way as you did now...a big improvement?

The big improvement is that the Email has a direct link to the download. Previously the Emails had a link to the PQ page and you then had to click to the downloads tab and click on the individual PQ, all of which made it pretty much impossible to automate

What I meant is that once a PQ is created, the download link is fixed, so you could create an association of PQ name to URL. I do agree that having the URL within the email makes it easier to maintain.

I've managed to download by using the authentication cookie from my browser, but it seems a little clunky. How do you download the PQs automatically?

But now we never need to go to the bother of maintaining the associations of PQs to URLs, and adding new ones every time a new PQ is added. With the URL being included in the notification Email there is now no need for any manual intervention on my part, I create a PQ of any size and it will appear on my system without clogging up my inbox with .zip files.

I'm on linux, and I use curl to get the PQ, first extract the URL from the Email and then do something like

curl --cookies=mycookies.file http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/downloadpq.ashx?g=yadayadayada > PQname.zip

I'm on linux, and I use curl to get the PQ, first extract the URL from the Email and then do something like

curl --cookies=mycookies.file http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/downloadpq.ashx?g=yadayadayada > PQname.zip

Thanks for the info! I used a similar method using wget. It would be nice if there's a command line option in Firefox (which has my cookies) to force it to save files without asking, but I have not been able to find one.

Thanks for the info! I used a similar method using wget. It would be nice if there's a command line option in Firefox (which has my cookies) to force it to save files without asking, but I have not been able to find one.

You got mail ...