Peoria, IL Visit

GeoSharks

I will be visiting Peoria on April 7,8 and 9.

I have Sunday the 7th free and thought it

be fun to find a cache or two. Might even bring

a travel bug out from California.

I will not have a car and will be staying downtown. Are there any caches within walking distance of the downtown area?

Thanks, Alan

Unfortunately, no. The downtown area doesn't lend itself too well to caches. The largest green area around there is across the river or a very large cemetery.

The closest currently active one to downtown Peoria is It Lays/Plays in Peoria #2 (GC1238) - a very worthy cache and a good hike, but by no means walking distance from downtown at 4.40 miles from the city center.

What about renting a car for the Sunday (Rent-A-Wreck or something like that) that would be the cheapest means possible? With that you could open your door to the possibility of some really good caches - do a search on zip code 61602.

If you end up getting transportation, I've heard some really good things about Jubilee Creek Cache and I've found It Lays/Plays in Peoria #2, Cache by the Lake, and the first couple of parts to Pimiteoui's Challenge (which is temporarily inactive) by rcharlier. I know that he puts out a really good cache.

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

If I had the day off to travel I'd even consider meeting you for a cache day, but the drive is 2 hours to Peoria from me (although I wouldn't mind finding some of the newer ones in that area - even Jubilee Creek.

The problem with the Peoria area is that there are only a few cachers and only a few caches, so contacting someone from the direct area would probably result in someone who's found all of them, or placed quite a few (like rcharlier).

If my schedule permits, I might just be able to help out icon_wink.gif

Markwell

If I had the day off to travel I'd even consider meeting you for a cache day, but the drive is 2 hours to Peoria from me (although I wouldn't mind finding some of the newer ones in that area - even Jubilee Creek.

The problem with the Peoria area is that there are only a few cachers and only a few caches, so contacting someone from the direct area would probably result in someone who's found all of them, or placed quite a few (like rcharlier).

If my schedule permits, I might just be able to help out icon_wink.gif

Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Thanks Markwell. That is kind of you to consider driving all the way to Peoria. But you don't have to do that. Maybe I'll grab a cheap rental car to hunt down a cache and see the local area. I have been there may times before on business with Cat and have seen most of the downtown attractions. It would be nice to venture out.

Thanks again, Alan

That's OK anyway - I'd have to cancel out anyway. The wife will be in DC for 7 days around then, and I'd also have to bring my to little ones (2&6). That's wouldn't make for as enjoyable of a drive down to Peoria. icon_wink.gif

Good luck - and come back and post the links for the caches you find here (I'm watching all the Peoria area ones anyway - so I'll know. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

That's OK anyway - I'd have to cancel out anyway. The wife will be in DC for 7 days around then, and I'd also have to bring my to little ones (2&6). That's wouldn't make for as enjoyable of a drive down to Peoria. icon_wink.gif

Good luck - and come back and post the links for the caches you find here (I'm watching all the Peoria area ones anyway - so I'll know. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

If you want some reviews or ideas for what to hit in Peoria, I can probably help you. I have found all but the currently unavailable Pimetoui's Challenge and the two Old Dirty Dogs. And I hope to get the dirty dogs tomorrow. (Fingers crossed.) Any specific difficulty or terrain requests? You can email me or post here.

rdw