Creating a waypoint in the app?

Hi, I've got an iPhone 4 and I'm from Australia.

I was wondering if I can create an waypoint using this app? I've got the latest version as I downloaded it on the 9th of June 2014 when I became a member.

So I was wondering if you could create a waypoint in this app or do I need to download another app to do it? Because I'm planning on listing some caches soon and heard you needed to make a waypoint but I was thinking I could do it on my iPhone but wasn't sure if I could or not?

I'm thinking of buying a gps anyway at some stage but don't know what to do about if I can create a waypoint on my iPhone or not?

So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Thanks

From Clint in Australia

When you say you are using "the" app you need to be specific....there are several Geocaching apps for the iPhone.

For argument's sake I'll assume we're talking about the official Geocaching app from Groundspeak. I'll also assume we're speaking of the paid app and not the free Intro app. OK then....

While navigating to a cache, in the Map view, the little button in the upper right hand corner, the one with the three little dots on it....tap that to bring up the Add Waypoint screen.

Now, a word of caution.....you've been playing for barely a week and you have 5 finds. It is HIGHLY recommended that you spend a little more time playing as a seeker before hiding your first cache. For one thing, you really should experience the game for awhile and see the variety of caches that are out there, get comfortable using the GPS, see what makes a great cache and what makes a lame cache. Get a little on you first, so to speak. More importantly, get past the honeymoon period and make sure this isn't just a passing fancy for you, and that you'll be playing long-term, before taking on the responsibility of cache ownership. Once you put it out there it's yours to take care of. I only say this because we've seen many, many brand new players who get all giddy about this new game they've discovered, run out and hide a couple of caches, then a few weeks later get bored with it and move on to the next thing, leaving their (usually not very well planned) cache out in the wild to deteriorate. Don't be that guy.

Now, when you have thought about it, played for awhile, read the Guidelines a few times to make sure you know what you're doing, you'll need to obtain some accurate coordinates. The app is not designed for hiding caches, so put that idea aside. To get the most accurate coordinates, you'll need to obtain several samples and calculate the average...the more samples and the longer, the better.

To accomplish this last thing, I suggest a free iPhone app called Perfect Mark, which will do the averaging for you.

I was wondering if I can create an waypoint using this app? I've got the latest version as I downloaded it on the 9th of June 2014 when I became a member.

So I was wondering if you could create a waypoint in this app or do I need to download another app to do it? Because I'm planning on listing some caches soon and heard you needed to make a waypoint but I was thinking I could do it on my iPhone but wasn't sure if I could or not?

I'm thinking of buying a gps anyway at some stage but don't know what to do about if I can create a waypoint on my iPhone or not?

Thanks

From Clint in Australia

You need to be specific about what app you are using.

Help Center → Apps

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12'>http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=12

As for hiding caches, it is highly recommended that you do some research first. "Hearing" about something is not the best way to learn about it.

First, you will need to read the Guidelines. All the blue text on the page indicates links that need to be opened and read. It's recommended that you thoroughly read the Guidelines more than a few times.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Then there is the Help Center.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Over on the left side you will find the links to the various sections, such as:

Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

B.

Thanks

From Clint in Australia

I forgot to mention that I'm using the Geocaching Intro iPhone app which I downloaded for free from the iTunes App store..

When you say you are using "the" app you need to be specific....there are several Geocaching apps for the iPhone.

For argument's sake I'll assume we're talking about the official Geocaching app from Groundspeak. I'll also assume we're speaking of the paid app and not the free Intro app. OK then....

While navigating to a cache, in the Map view, the little button in the upper right hand corner, the one with the three little dots on it....tap that to bring up the Add Waypoint screen.

Now, a word of caution.....you've been playing for barely a week and you have 5 finds. It is HIGHLY recommended that you spend a little more time playing as a seeker before hiding your first cache. For one thing, you really should experience the game for awhile and see the variety of caches that are out there, get comfortable using the GPS, see what makes a great cache and what makes a lame cache. Get a little on you first, so to speak. More importantly, get past the honeymoon period and make sure this isn't just a passing fancy for you, and that you'll be playing long-term, before taking on the responsibility of cache ownership. Once you put it out there it's yours to take care of. I only say this because we've seen many, many brand new players who get all giddy about this new game they've discovered, run out and hide a couple of caches, then a few weeks later get bored with it and move on to the next thing, leaving their (usually not very well planned) cache out in the wild to deteriorate. Don't be that guy.

Now, when you have thought about it, played for awhile, read the Guidelines a few times to make sure you know what you're doing, you'll need to obtain some accurate coordinates. The app is not designed for hiding caches, so put that idea aside. To get the most accurate coordinates, you'll need to obtain several samples and calculate the average...the more samples and the longer, the better.

To accomplish this last thing, I suggest a free iPhone app called Perfect Mark, which will do the averaging for you.

Hi thanks for that.

I actually downloaded the geocaching intro app for free for the iPhone. So by the looks of it you can't create an waypoint using this app then? So i'm going to purchase the full version of the app which is the paid version.

As for playing it for a short term i'll be playing for the long term because I'm enjoying it! I've also been doing a lot of research lately on ideas for some caches and I've found some great ideas so going to start designing some myself. So I'm here for the long term!

I've already bought my first couple of containers to use as caches when I hide mine and I've read the information about hiding your cache and everything else about it including how to activate the travel bug ones too. So I've done a lot of research on youtube and on the geocaching website too.

So I've just bought and downloaded the paid version of the Geocaching app which is the official app and I'll have a look at it. I'm not a premium member yet but I'm going to buy the membership soon because it's worth joining!

So thanks for your advice..

Cheers from Clint