Terrain 1 Cache Ideas

I've been doing kind of a local C&D (cache and dash) series for a few of my friends who have running streaks/calendars for rainy/snowy days where they just need to fill a slot. (Don't worry -- zero of them are under LP skirts or inside guard rail ends. That was my one major rule. They're all at least a little unique and fun.) Unfortunately, because I'm not incredibly creative, to pull most of them off, they had to be 1.5 terrain or higher.

While doing said series, it came to my attention that one of the local cachers, who I've met and conversed with a few times at events and by email, has a handicapped son that does C&Ds with him sometimes. Said kid cacher is in a wheelchair, meaning that his terrain level is limited to 1. I read a log post on one of my recent C&Ds where said cacher moved my magnetic cache temporarily from its hiding place in order for his son to "find" it. I have NO problem with that. In fact, I am thinking the opposite.

Our area has a glaring lack of terrain 1 caches, and the ones that are terrain 1 are almost exclusively LPCs. (Yuck!) Anyway, since I am not the most inventive person in the world, I am looking to borrow ideas. I would like to make some of those C&Ds terrain 1 level caches for the handicapped cachers amongst us, especially this young fellow I mentioned.

I would like some contributions from the community at large for some ideas for creative terrain 1/urban caches. Rules: They CAN'T be under light post skirts as I just refuse to place any, and I would like to make them either really creative or slightly difficult. I would also like to find a way to have a swag sized cache hiding in plain sight. I imagine handicapped folks don't get many swag swapping opportunities.

tl;dr: Any help would be appreciated. Can I have examples of caches you all either own or found that can be done in an urban or terrain 1 setting?

Edited by ruralseeker

Think about creative ways to disguise a cache in plain sight. I've seen a couple good ones: a radio mounted at a gas station, a small cache located in the pocket of a geared-up mannequin outside an Army surplus store, a puzzle cache in a safe located outside a locksmith. Probably takes a little bit more coordination with whoever owns the property, since it'll be openly "visible".

Think about creative ways to disguise a cache in plain sight. I've seen a couple good ones: a radio mounted at a gas station, a small cache located in the pocket of a geared-up mannequin outside an Army surplus store, a puzzle cache in a safe located outside a locksmith. Probably takes a little bit more coordination with whoever owns the property, since it'll be openly "visible".

^ this.

Sometimes a theme presents itself and allows you to hide it in plain view. Example: A modified scuba tank outside a dive shop (http://coord.info/GCR759). I've also seen a few making use of abandoned utility boxes mounted to power poles and there is a local CO who has a whole series making use of the Little Free Library boxes people install in their front yards. She mounts those old-school library check-out sleeves and cards (example) as the log sheets...with the owner's permission, of course.

Regarding wheelchair accessibility, though...I don't like to assume that means it has to be within arm's reach of a level sidewalk. It seems like there is some gray area of what counts as wheelchair accessible...some being more capable and mobile than others. I think it's great that you're not just placing only guardrail caches or LPCs. If I were wheelchair-bound, I would be bored to tears by this game if that's all I could ever find with a T1 rating.

Edited by J Grouchy

Great idea! I'm planning the same thing! One idea that I have seen several times is using a magnet foil and sticking a laminated paper that looks like some kind of sign or information (not official road sign, of course) onto the front. Attach the whole thing onto a metal surface and put a logsheet in between. Here are pics: http://derschnellelinus.blogspot.de/2013/12/magnetfolien-cache.html . Of course this would only be a micro or better "other". You can also print a small GC logo onto it. So it's visible for cachers but not for muggles. Of course attach it at a height that cachers in a wheelchair will be able to reach it!

I don't know where you live, but in some countries there is a universal key for public restrooms for people with handicap. In Germany there is a cache with a box that can only be opened with such a key that many handicapped people have. I just googled it, and the UK and Australia seem to have similar systems.

I don't recommend something like abandoned utility boxes because you don't want people to accidentally mess with the real thing. I love ones where at first glance you think "no, that belongs there" but at second or third glance you realize it's actually totally out of place. Like a security camera mounted somewhere you realize has zero need for a security camera.

Another resource I have to reference frequently as an architect:

http://www.access-board.gov/guidelines-and-standards/buildings-and-sites/about-the-ada-standards/background/adaag

Section 4.2 deals with standard reach ranges

Section 4.4 deals with protruding objects along an accessible route or pathway

Section 4.8 deals with ramps and maximum slopes

Other pertinent stuff:

4.1.2 talks about accessible sites. It's all very well and good if you have a cache on a guardrail next to a sidewalk, but consider how someone in a wheelchair might access the sidewalk in the first place. It's important when thinking about wheelchair access to think about the entire experience and approach to the hiding spot. If a wheelchair can't get up on that sidewalk, it's not a T1 in my opinion.

4.3.8 talks about changes in level (such as at door openings or different ground/floor conditions). This might be important if you are taking someone off a sidewalk to a level portion of ground.

This is all stuff that has been codified and ought to be considered if you are truly planning to rate your cache as "wheelchair accessible". Then again, you also don't want to "dumb the cache down" and assume that just because someone has a disability they can only find something that conforms to every letter of the ADA guidelines. I just think it takes some good reasoned thought when you are planning to hide a T1 cache.

May be worth a read of http://www.handicaching.com/ to give an idea of what is/isn't 'accessible'

All very well being able to get to GZ in a chair, but if the cache is too low/too high to retrieve... It rather defeats the reason for the cache!

Yes. My 1 terrain cache is wheelchair accessible. Worked hard at that! Not too far from parking. Sidewalk is accessible from the parking spot. Cache is 3-4 feet off the ground. Of course, it is a micro, in a series of micros. And is 5 for difficulty. (Always wanted to hide a 5/1!) No handicapped cacher has noted finding the cache. But it is there and accessible!

People often assume that wheelchair accessible means easy, but not always. We went up to Clingmans dome which is the highest point in the Smokeys. It's a fairly strenuous walk up a paved path, but someone in a wheelchair was there and was elated to have made it. "1" terrain could be theoretically a half mile or more, but just reachable. Think of something well camoed, but reachable from a wheelchair.

People often assume that wheelchair accessible means easy, but not always. We went up to Clingmans dome which is the highest point in the Smokeys. It's a fairly strenuous walk up a paved path, but someone in a wheelchair was there and was elated to have made it. "1" terrain could be theoretically a half mile or more, but just reachable. Think of something well camoed, but reachable from a wheelchair.

There is a 3/1 cache I DNFd a few years ago that is on a tank. The 1T rating theoretically should have narrowed down the search area but I still didn't find it.