The REAL reason no one does multis

Okay, I got that to work as well. However, when I select the pedestrian icon it looks like it's still using turn-by-turn navigation (i.e. it displays which roads to walk). That's not particularly useful if the subsequent stage of a multi is far from a road.

Unfortunately, walking/cycling routes only work with what information google has set up in their maps. If there are marked walking trails, walking will use them, cycling as well. If there is biking-specific data (bike-friendly roads, lanes, trails, etc) the bike routing will be optimized using that info. Every option (except transit) falls back to roads. So it may be that your area satellite imagery can see trails, but they're not (yet?) marked as such for walk routing (or vice versa; new trails are routed, but maps are showing old imagery)

Yes, I understand how routing works. My point is, if the cache isn't located very close to a route (whether its a road, or bike trail, or walking path) using google maps isn't going to work well for navigating to a cache.

I've often maintained that a contributing factor to the proliferation of park-n-grab caches is the general perception of how a "gps" works as it pertains to getting from point A (where you are now) to point B (where the cache is located). In the early days of geocaching, pretty much everyone used a handheld GPS which only provided "as the crow flies" navigation. If a cache was hidden deep in the woods, one could use a compass to tell which direction, and how far to go, or if it had mapping capability show icons for point A and B with a line between the two points. One still had to figure out how to navigate the real world terrain to get to the destination waypoint.

Then along came auto navigation GPS units which, by default, used routing information for navigating between point A and point B. The perception that a GPS would provide turn by turn directions to get from ones current location to a destination to some waypoint. This works fine for finding the nearest Thai restaurant or gas station (assuming those waypoints are in the GPS) because, in a vehicle, ones current location and the destination were always located on or very close to a route. I believe that many people coming into the game when auto navigation units started to proliferation assume, because it used a GPS, that geocaches would be hidden near roads (routes).

Now a lot of people are using smart phones with GPS capabilities and apps which use satellite imagery and more and more geocachers are looking at the satellite photos and where the cache icon appears on the photo to find (and unfortunately, hide) caches.

Multis represent just 1% of our finds. We just did one yesterday called "A Breath of Valor." The title caught my eye and the description said it had only two stages so off we went. Turns out stage 1 was at a vacant lot where a house burned down about 10 years ago claiming the life of a young firefighter. The digits in the address were used to find the final coordinates at a firefighters memorial in a park. While a simple traditional at the memorial would have been fine, visiting the site of the fire made it more personal and poignant. This kind of experience is what keeps us interested in this game called geocaching, especially since one of our sons is a firefighter.

Okay, I got that to work as well. However, when I select the pedestrian icon it looks like it's still using turn-by-turn navigation (i.e. it displays which roads to walk). That's not particularly useful if the subsequent stage of a multi is far from a road.

Unfortunately, walking/cycling routes only work with what information google has set up in their maps. If there are marked walking trails, walking will use them, cycling as well. If there is biking-specific data (bike-friendly roads, lanes, trails, etc) the bike routing will be optimized using that info. Every option (except transit) falls back to roads. So it may be that your area satellite imagery can see trails, but they're not (yet?) marked as such for walk routing (or vice versa; new trails are routed, but maps are showing old imagery)

Yes, I understand how routing works. My point is, if the cache isn't located very close to a route (whether its a road, or bike trail, or walking path) using google maps isn't going to work well for navigating to a cache.

I've often maintained that a contributing factor to the proliferation of park-n-grab caches is the general perception of how a "gps" works as it pertains to getting from point A (where you are now) to point B (where the cache is located). In the early days of geocaching, pretty much everyone used a handheld GPS which only provided "as the crow flies" navigation. If a cache was hidden deep in the woods, one could use a compass to tell which direction, and how far to go, or if it had mapping capability show icons for point A and B with a line between the two points. One still had to figure out how to navigate the real world terrain to get to the destination waypoint.

Then along came auto navigation GPS units which, by default, used routing information for navigating between point A and point B. The perception that a GPS would provide turn by turn directions to get from ones current location to a destination to some waypoint. This works fine for finding the nearest Thai restaurant or gas station (assuming those waypoints are in the GPS) because, in a vehicle, ones current location and the destination were always located on or very close to a route. I believe that many people coming into the game when auto navigation units started to proliferation assume, because it used a GPS, that geocaches would be hidden near roads (routes).

Now a lot of people are using smart phones with GPS capabilities and apps which use satellite imagery and more and more geocachers are looking at the satellite photos and where the cache icon appears on the photo to find (and unfortunately, hide) caches.

As a cacher who has always used a phone, and google navigate or an automotive GPS for navigating to near the cache, I don't aggree with your perspective. I think having the Google (or Bing or whatever) 'satellite' imagery (actualy it is usualy arial, not satellite) has allowed me to get a better perspective of what is around me. I have found a lot of cool places that are not easyly accessed by roads because I could 'see' them and see how to get to them on Google maps. I would have to say that the phone, expecialy google map imagery, has improved my caching experience, as well as that of anyone who has found any of my caches.

Phones only 'dumb down' the experience for dumb people.

As a cacher who has always used a phone, and google navigate or an automotive GPS for navigating to near the cache, I don't aggree with your perspective. I think having the Google (or Bing or whatever) 'satellite' imagery (actualy it is usualy arial, not satellite) has allowed me to get a better perspective of what is around me. I have found a lot of cool places that are not easyly accessed by roads because I could 'see' them and see how to get to them on Google maps. I would have to say that the phone, expecialy google map imagery, has improved my caching experience, as well as that of anyone who has found any of my caches.

Phones only 'dumb down' the experience for dumb people.

I believe the phone has actually enhanced it for me. I've noticed the detail on the Google Maps is far greater than that of the GPSr map on my Magellan. Now, I know one can download different maps and all...but the out-of-the-box Google Maps is actually fairly well detailed. Even if a walking route isn't shown, quite often a trail will show up on the map view itself...and when it doesn't, I will use the AllTrails app to show the trail route.

...Phones only 'dumb down' the experience for dumb people.

I believe the phone has actually enhanced it for me. I've noticed the detail on the Google Maps is far greater than that of the GPSr map on my Magellan. Now, I know one can download different maps and all...but the out-of-the-box Google Maps is actually fairly well detailed. Even if a walking route isn't shown, quite often a trail will show up on the map view itself...and when it doesn't, I will use the AllTrails app to show the trail route.

I find the combination of google imagery and OpenCycle maps is amazing. If you are not familiar with open cycle maps, do yourself a favor and check them out. It has topo maps with most of the recreational trails marked. Very usefull.

(not sure what this has to do with multi caches...?)

As a cacher who has always used a phone, and google navigate or an automotive GPS for navigating to near the cache, I don't aggree with your perspective. I think having the Google (or Bing or whatever) 'satellite' imagery (actualy it is usualy arial, not satellite) has allowed me to get a better perspective of what is around me.

That may be true for many places in the world, but it's not universal. If you primary cache in urban areas satellite (pretty much every site I've seen uses "satellite" rather that "aerial") imagery can work really well. If the cache is in a densely wooded area, not so much. There are still many places where the terrain shown in the imagery is obscured by cloud cover (pretty common in rain forests). It's getting better but there are still tiles which have not yet been updated. There are also many places where the resolution just isn't good enough to determine where a cache is located relative to some recognizable feature.

That may be true for many places in the world, but it's not universal. If you primary cache in urban areas satellite (pretty much every site I've seen uses "satellite" rather that "aerial") imagery can work really well. If the cache is in a densely wooded area, not so much. There are still many places where the terrain shown in the imagery is obscured by cloud cover (pretty common in rain forests). It's getting better but there are still tiles which have not yet been updated. There are also many places where the resolution just isn't good enough to determine where a cache is located relative to some recognizable feature.

Yep, and this is why blanket statements don't go over well :)

Success of google/satellite maps depends on user intelligence, location, coverage, alignment, hider, placer, hardware gps accuracy, and so much more.

It's not optimal in all conditions, but usually user intelligence can offset any reduction in reliability of other factors. And that's where the range takes shape. Many will find that satellite creates no issue; at all; anywhere. Others have problems with it where it technically falls short. And all of that is just fine.

Whatever you use, just use it to the best of its, and your, ability.

Now back to multi-caches... :P

My DH has a multiple waypoint letterbox that is intended to be done on foot, but it is possible to do some projections on Google Earth and come up with coordinates that are within 100 yards of the cache. On a couple of occasions he's noticed local geocachers looking at the wrong spot, and he takes much pleasure in saying "You used Google Earth, didn't you?" and then pointing them to the hiding spot.

I haven't made many multis. Sometimes I try, but after sth like this I have enough:

"A = number of the building" - it happens to have 2 number!

"B, C - there are 2 3-digits number there" - OK, I see none, but if I'd found them, how I'm expected to know which is B and which is C?

This is the main problems with the multis - sometimes it's completely unclear what the owner wants you to do :(

Like people have said, I think lots of people aren't thrilled with finding 5 containers (or so) and getting one smiley.

However, when I ravel, I enjoy doing mutlicaches, because they show me areas in the city that I might not check out before. For example, this summer I'm taking a trip to Whistler. I wouldn't know what to look at there, before I move on to my next BC destination, but there's a multicache that takes you on a tour of the village, and it looks like it has some nice stops.

I guess if I'm travelling, I'd like to do a multicache that shows me the area, not a brutal 5 stage terrain 4 hike through a swamp.

I sometimes donèt like multis because: if I am traveling I usually do not have lots of time to geocache and multis can take REALLY REALLY long!

I also think some other people do not do multi caches is for the numbers so, when a multi can TAKE A HOUR LONG they can do 20 traditionals in the same amount of time.

When traveling, I might stop for a multi if it is short offset at an interesting historical location. But with my noncaching family I cannot go off on a long chase that takes me to unknown destinations - and since the search is the least interesting thing about this game, there has to be something to get me to look for more than one container.

My order: virtuals, earthcaches, Wherigo, letterboxes, traditional, puzzle (if there is something that makes me want to solve it), multis. Since I exclude my finds from any search, the color is not a factor. But a deep blue icon might . . .

That used to be my order. Wherigos have taken a back seat ever since I spent way too much time trying to get my smart phone to pick up a stage for the Wherigo outside of the Alamo. If only those zones had been bigger...now I don't even plug them into the GPSr unless I'm going solo, the wife has lost all patience for them.

My order: virtuals, earthcaches, Wherigo, letterboxes, traditional, puzzle (if there is something that makes me want to solve it), multis. Since I exclude my finds from any search, the color is not a factor. But a deep blue icon might . . .

Interesting, my order when traveling is virtuals, traditionals, earth caches, puzzles (if they are at the posted coordinates, ie: challenges, multis (if a simple offset), and I have never done a letterbox or Wherigo while traveling.

That used to be my order. Wherigos have taken a back seat ever since I spent way too much time trying to get my smart phone to pick up a stage for the Wherigo outside of the Alamo. If only those zones had been bigger...now I don't even plug them into the GPSr unless I'm going solo, the wife has lost all patience for them.

I was at the Alamo a couple of months ago, very cool place but I didn't even load the Wherigo, just seemed like too much hassle.

Edited by Roman!

I really like all types of caches and one aspect of geocaching that I like (among others) is diversity that different types bring to the game. I do have more traditionals found but just because there are more traditional caches out there to be found. The only situation when I prefer traditionals (or other cache types that bring me directly to the final location) more is when I'm traveling and looking for caches to find during traveling. But only because I usually don't have time for more time intensive caches, not because I don't like multis, puzzles or other time intensive types.

Last multi I found is really great cache, maybe one of the best I found (http://coord.info/GC58N1D). It was a real adventure searching for it, and it includes old bunker exploration, field puzzle, heavy jungle-like vegetation. Superb caching experience.

We did the Wherigo at the Alamo in 2011, it was a very short Wherigo. We had lots more fun with another nearby Wherigo: The Lost Treasure of Cabeza de Vaca.

Interesting, my order when traveling is virtuals, traditionals, earth caches, puzzles (if they are at the posted coordinates, ie: challenges, multis (if a simple offset), and I have never done a letterbox or Wherigo while traveling.

That's pretty much my order as well, but I will usually check the area I'm going to visit for puzzles that I can solve before I've left home, and once I have, they've effectively become traditionals.

I was at the Alamo a couple of months ago, very cool place but I didn't even load the Wherigo, just seemed like too much hassle.

I'm going to be in San Antonio in a couple of weeks but will be getting there in the evening (on a bus from Austin) and then will have to be at the airport by 11:30 the next morning for a flight to Mexico City, then a five hour layover before continuing to San Jose, Costa Rica. I will probably only have time to find a few caches near the hotel in San Antonio and the Alamo is only about six blocks away. Unless I get up real early I wouldn't do the Wherigo but I might do the webcam (which hasn't been on anyones list, but would be one of the first types I'd look for).

I don't have a different list/order of priority depending on if I am travelling or not. I enjoy multis (and other "not traditional") types everywhere. If I know I am going to a new area, I will check out the multis, puzzles, wherigos, etc in advance to see which ones I can do.

Now having said that, there are some aspects I take into account:

1. Language: Unless there is what appears to be a good translation on the page, or I have a local speaker with me, I won't do multis or most puzzles. And I won't do a Wherigo in a language I don't speak. I have done Wherigos in non-English speaking countries when a English version was provided.

2. Time and Distance: Wherever I am, I take into account what time I have. So if I am at home and want a little walk and a cache in my lunch hour, I won't choose a multi which takes 3 hours. Same when I am travelling. When travelling I am more likely to be limited on time so I would avoid a long multi, but I would do a short one. (Note I rely on the description to give some idea of the length. If it isn't clear I'll assume it might be long).

So it really depends. When I have time, I have found some excellent multis, multi-stage puzzles, and Wherigos which give a great tour of the local area. But other times I've been limited on time and just went for a traditional or virtual.

I might do the webcam (which hasn't been on anyones list, but would be one of the first types I'd look for).

It'd be on my list, I realized I left it off after I posted.

I do have two critera: they need to work on my smart phone, and they need to be convenient. I got 2 of the 3 on Cape Cod; I almost ended up getting none. I just happened to be waiting with the baby while others were shopping and showed up just in time to the one that takes photos hourly; I initially passed on the one that costs $20 for parking during beach hours, but then we happened by after parking was free (and even then, I almost bagged it because the cell coverage was almost nil); the one that is only available twice a day, I skipped.

(And although I've not always lived by this rule in the past, I will no longer log a webcam find unless I can get it on a webcam -- no more selfies at the coordinates, too many caches getting archived because of abuse.)

Edited by hzoi

That's pretty much my order as well, but I will usually check the area I'm going to visit for puzzles that I can solve before I've left home, and once I have, they've effectively become traditionals.

I'm going to be in San Antonio in a couple of weeks but will be getting there in the evening (on a bus from Austin) and then will have to be at the airport by 11:30 the next morning for a flight to Mexico City, then a five hour layover before continuing to San Jose, Costa Rica. I will probably only have time to find a few caches near the hotel in San Antonio and the Alamo is only about six blocks away. Unless I get up real early I wouldn't do the Wherigo but I might do the webcam (which hasn't been on anyones list, but would be one of the first types I'd look for).

When I was there the webcam was down so I could not do it but I just checked and it is back up now.

I tend to start by checking out puzzles before the trip. If I can solve them, or if they're on-site puzzles, then I try to target them during the trip. One of my Favorites is an on-site puzzle that I did during a business trip.
I tend to start by checking out puzzles before the trip. If I can solve them, or if they're on-site puzzles, then I try to target them during the trip. One of my Favorites is an on-site puzzle that I did during a business trip.

I have a long list of puzzles I solved for trips but did not get a chance to find. I have a crazy dream that I will get back to find them before they get archived.

I have a long list of puzzles I solved for trips but did not get a chance to find. I have a crazy dream that I will get back to find them before they get archived.

So do I. I use the correct coordinates feature and add a personal not to all of the puzzle caches I have solved. I have this crazy dream that someday GS will get around to adding the feature that would allow me to search for caches of which I've corrected the coordinates or added a personal note.

I use the correct coordinates feature and add a personal not to all of the puzzle caches I have solved. I have this crazy dream that someday GS will get around to adding the feature that would allow me to search for caches of which I've corrected the coordinates or added a personal note.
Amen!

So do I. I use the correct coordinates feature and add a personal not to all of the puzzle caches I have solved. I have this crazy dream that someday GS will get around to adding the feature that would allow me to search for caches of which I've corrected the coordinates or added a personal note.

the Android app NeonGeo does that for you. Very nice feature.

Edited by Andronicus

Last night I had another dream. I dreamed that GS would implement features we've asked for instead of making us pay for a third party apps and a new device to do them.

Last night I had another dream. I dreamed that GS would implement features we've asked for instead of making us pay for a third party apps and a new device to do them.

Don't worry, they're on the to-do list. Somewhere. Probably right behind "poke ourselves in the eye with a sharp stick" and "rub ourselves all over with red meat and run through the lion enclosure".

I just put all of the solved caches into a Bookmark List.

I just put all of the solved caches into a Bookmark List.

Which is only a couple of extra steps then being able select a "has corrected coordinates" filter on the PQ form. The point is, if you've already corrected the coordinates on a bunch of puzzle caches, there isn't an easy way to search for puzzle caches that you have solved.

The point is, if you've already corrected the coordinates on a bunch of puzzle caches, there isn't an easy way to search for puzzle caches that you have solved.
And if you're in the mood to work on puzzles, then the bookmark list doesn't really help with the inverse search: show me puzzles that I have NOT solved yet. If they add a "has corrected coordinates" option to PQs, then they could also add a "does not have corrected coordinates" option. Both would be very useful.

I think all it would take for multi's to become more popular is to simply make the cache's page look more interesting (this goes for every cache type). I just put out a multi-cache (GC58R4X) in an area where multi's only get found a few times a year if they are lucky. It has been fairly popular and I believe it has been due to the effort put into the page.

Edited by ottieolsen

My order: virtuals, earthcaches, Wherigo, letterboxes, traditional, puzzle (if there is something that makes me want to solve it), multis.

When I travel my order is:

1) virtuals - I use them as way points for my route and plug them in to my nuvii. They make for great sightseeing.

2) traditionals - the staple of my trip.

3) earthcaches - I use a few for navigation as long as the questions are easy and sparse.

4) unknowns - only if they are at posted coordinates although I look at the odd one before my trip and if I solve it I may find it.

5) multis - I've found 2 while traveling, one I solve online before my trip the other was at an earthcache I went to and was a 30 meter offset.

6) letterbox, Wherigo - I ignore then and don't include them in my PQs.

Some letterboxes will be at the posted coords and some Wherigos are easy. The ones I baulk at are the Multis, Letterboxes and Wherigos that may take you many miles away from the posted coords. Always best to read the cache page and logs before going after them.

My current theory as to why multis are not as popular as traditionals is their color on the map. They look so much like yellow smilies, they are easy to miss. The green boxes, on the other hand, are super easy to spot and REALLY annoying to look at so you just HAVE to go find the cache so that your map looks pretty.

I think the icons for multis should be purple so they stand out better.

Discuss.

I think they look more like orange pork chops

It would have to be bright purple. Dark purple just doesn't stand out well enough. What about bright aqua blue?

I am fairly new to the game but am pushing up in 200 caches found. I've seen quite a few different types of hide including most of the various types of cache out there. Currently I really enjoy going after the high difficulty traditionals. The 4's and 5's. Sure it can be frustrating but also very rewarding. I will consider any multi but I am a bit reluctant to go after them if they are 3+ stages and haven't been logged in a while. It sucks to go after a tough one only to come up empty on stage 4 after half a day of sweat and toil over the first 3 stages as has happened to me more than once now.

Edited by F.U.E.L

I think they look more like orange pork chops

It would have to be bright purple. Dark purple just doesn't stand out well enough. What about bright aqua blue?

You win a prize for being the first one to actually read my original post. <_<

I agree, bright aqua blue would work.

I wonder if the blue would blend in with lakes and stuff.

I wonder if the blue would blend in with lakes and stuff.
Very possibly. The blue line that Google Navigate uses to show my route is the same blue as the rivers, lakes, and other bodies of water. Thus, when I happen to glance at the screen to see what is coming up at the same time that I'm approaching a bridge over a stream or creek, it often looks like my route is splitting into 3 separate paths: my actual path, plus the "path" of the water to the left, and the "path" of the water to the right.