Posting Waymarks with HTML Codes

jhuoni

You could use a text editor outside of the waymark page, then copy/paste the whole HTML into the description. I don't do this myself, but I could. I use gvim for all of my text editing. My whole family web page is raw HTML that I entered with gvim, rather than some HTML editing program. But you could use one and copy/paste.

If you use chrome or firefox there are various extensions/add-ins that will give you "what-you-see-what-you-get" editing capability that will automatically do the html while you type and format your text much like you would in a word processing program. Once it looks like you want you switch to the html mode and copy and paste into waymark.

If you use chrome or firefox there are various extensions/add-ins that will give you "what-you-see-what-you-get" editing capability that will automatically do the html while you type and format your text much like you would in a word processing program. Once it looks like you want you switch to the html mode and copy and paste into waymark.

You have my attention - what are some of the ones that work with Chrome?

The two I use are NoteBook Professional and Popup HTML Editor. Both are extensions for Chrome.

If you've seen any of our waymarks, you know that we use a lot of HTML. We like to pretty up a page, instead of submitting boring B & W text. Whenever I have some time I play around a bit and add more features or try to pretty things some more. Then I'll stick with a given format for months, 'til I get tired of it and decide we need something new.

So.... I use a lot of boilerplate - reuseable HTML that gets copied and pasted into the waymark so only the text needs to actually be typed. I have one long page of boilerplate in Notepad++ for divisions, blockquotes, images, tables, etc. for various uses and occasions. It makes creating non boring pages a breeze.

Example: http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMMDF6_Pandosy_Mission_Sesquicentennial_Kelowna_BC

That page is a bit long, but I felt the subject needed a lot of background info. All the HTML was copy and paste.

If you've seen any of our waymarks, you know that we use a lot of HTML. We like to pretty up a page, instead of submitting boring B & W text. Whenever I have some time I play around a bit and add more features or try to pretty things some more. Then I'll stick with a given format for months, 'til I get tired of it and decide we need something new.

So.... I use a lot of boilerplate - reuseable HTML that gets copied and pasted into the waymark so only the text needs to actually be typed. I have one long page of boilerplate in Notepad++ for divisions, blockquotes, images, tables, etc. for various uses and occasions. It makes creating non boring pages a breeze.

Example: http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMMDF6_Pandosy_Mission_Sesquicentennial_Kelowna_BC

That page is a bit long, but I felt the subject needed a lot of background info. All the HTML was copy and paste.

Nice.

But. Could you make it 'not so wide...' :)

fba838bf-ea98-48a9-963e-94b483ef33c5.jpg?rnd=0.7265897

Makes reading the description a little difficult, and means we don't get the full benefit of your hard work on the waymark.

:D

Nice.

But. Could you make it 'not so wide...' :)

fba838bf-ea98-48a9-963e-94b483ef33c5.jpg?rnd=0.7265897

Makes reading the description a little difficult, and means we don't get the full benefit of your hard work on the waymark.

:D

Yeah - I was afraid of that. Gonna hafta change the width to a percentage for the folks with a lesser screen resolution. What browser and what screen resolution do you use?

Odd. I use HTML just about every time and I don't have to worry about screen resolutions and percentages.

Why not just let the text wrap like it normally would? The pretty boxes don't really add anything at all to the Waymark. An occasional table, when called for, is useful. But if one has to worry about how wide the viewer's screen is (beyond a reasonable, but very small, limit), then there's something too complex going on.

The two I use are NoteBook Professional and Popup HTML Editor. Both are extensions for Chrome.

BruceS - A bit late, but I downloaded Popup HTML editor. It seems to be what I needed. Now I can type it up and just paste, I really hated having to make sure that every command I put in had an OFF Switch. This does all that for me!

The pretty boxes don't really add anything at all to the Waymark. An occasional table, when called for, is useful. But if one has to worry about how wide the viewer's screen is (beyond a reasonable, but very small, limit), then there's something too complex going on.

I have to agree. HTML should only be used when it will make things more readable, not just to "pretty it up". IMO, colourful boxes with unnecessary graphics and hard-to-read fonts (red on blue is a bad combination) actually reduce the quality of a Waymark, not increase it.

...also, using one of the most hated fonts of all time makes things even worse. Ban Comic Sans!

The pretty boxes don't really add anything at all to the Waymark. An occasional table, when called for, is useful. But if one has to worry about how wide the viewer's screen is (beyond a reasonable, but very small, limit), then there's something too complex going on.

I have to agree. HTML should only be used when it will make things more readable, not just to "pretty it up". IMO, colourful boxes with unnecessary graphics and hard-to-read fonts (red on blue is a bad combination) actually reduce the quality of a Waymark, not increase it.

...also, using one of the most hated fonts of all time makes things even worse. Ban Comic Sans!

What is wrong with Comic San? dry.gif

Sometimes you just have to change it up!

Luckily, my favorite font is not available here - THRILLER.... rolleyes.gif

Seriously, I agree, keep the font to Arial - it makes it easier to read.

All I have is a nickel, anyone have change on my $0.02 worth? (I just noticed that there is no "cent" symbol on a QWERTY keyboard)