etrex20 missing waypoints/caches

hi there; this might be an old issue so point me to other threads if necessary....

etrex20 has been working well for the past 6 months, then this week I turned it on to find no waypoints and no geocaches, yet the gpx files for both are present where they've always been (I haven't moved them ever). so, the waypoint and PQ gpx files are in the same, and correct, location on the etrex20's drive in windows, but when actually trying to use the waypoint or geocache icon on the device itself, they say 'none found'. I've factory reset it and updated the software. anyone have any advice or can remind me of something I might be missing?

thanks,

tr

This tends to happen, although infrequently, on the current eTrex series. The solution is to remove all GPX files from the unit then turn the unit on. This will clear the internal database the GPS creates from the GPX files. Sometimes it takes almost as log to clear out the memory as it does to load it so don't be surprised if it seems like the GPS has hung. After the unit is up, reload the GPX files to the GPS and restart it again.

Note that if you don't use a microSD card, the only way to do this is with the computer which means you will have to cut your caching trip short if it happens while you are out. If you have loaded the caches on the microSD card, all you have to do is remove the card and power cycle the GPS. When memory is clear, power off and reinsert the card. Power on and you can continue caching.

I've fixed the problem on my etrex by pulling a battery and putting it back in and restarting. The caches show up every time.

You have been fortunate. I have tried that some time ago and it did not work and, of course, removing the batteries does nothing to the internal database. But it's easy and fast, so it is certainly worth a try.