Dispersed Camping on NFS land

zoothornrollo

We will be out in Nevada next month to do the Nevada Star. Just wondering how feasible it would be to pull off the road and sleep in our pickup truck out near the star. We usually camp in developed campgrounds, but they are few and far between out in that area. We travel in a pickup with a camper shell and just need a place to pull off the road, climb into the back and get some sleep before continuing on the power trails nearby.

We will be out in Nevada next month to do the Nevada Star. Just wondering how feasible it would be to pull off the road and sleep in our pickup truck out near the star. We usually camp in developed campgrounds, but they are few and far between out in that area. We travel in a pickup with a camper shell and just need a place to pull off the road, climb into the back and get some sleep before continuing on the power trails nearby.

Where is the Nevada Star? an you offer a GC#?

South of Yerington

GC4CM8T is at the top of the star.

Looks like NF land just to the west.

I honestly don't see any problem if you just want to sleep in the back of your truck. As long as fire isn't involved and you put yourself someplace safe, you should be fine.

Thanks for the link. We have already contacted the district office, but got a general response.

Since there are no facilities, you must bring your own water, camp at least 100 feet from all water sources and dig a hole at least six inches deep for disposal of human waste.

That's just common sense. As I have camped for years in Nevada and California, I have found it best to call or stop at the local NFS or State Park office to check on fire restrictions. When the fire danger level is low to moderate, I have been issued a permit to have a ringed fire and to use my propane stove, but only after showing the ranger that I had a camp shovel in my trunk. Since you do not have any plans for using fire, just leave "leave no trace" and you'll be fine. As far as the parts on Google Maps that aren't colored green, I have driven 20, 30 miles up dirt roads in Nevada, set up my tent and camped and never had a problem. I'm not sure where you are coming from, but you are heading into one of the more desolate areas in the country. I'm sure that you will find a nice safe place to park your truck where you can get a quiet nice night of sleep, unless the million stars in the sky distract you.

I recently did some by the side of the road camping in the H-T. Everything seemed ok to me but I never even encountered any Rangers. On two different multi-day trips last month I was able to find a pull out or a road with enough room to pull over and I just slept in the car. No guarantees you won't have issues but it was fine for me. There are a few spots where the shoulder is bad or there are other access issues, in these cases it is clearly marked as a place not to park or in some cases a place not to camp. I have also seen signs saying no overnight parking but more in the CA Sierras rather than the HT. Enjoy. If you get a chance be sure to check out GCA8 just over the border in UT or GCF9 in Central NV. Both were excellent.