SE Michigan Cachers Get-Together?

domneu

Are there any scheduled get-togethers for SE Mich. cachers? If not, do you think we could get one together? Maybe in Royal Oak, or somewhere else that would be more centrally located for others? This is just a thought. I'd like to put a face to all of the handles and names I see in the local caches.

Another idea I had was to try and see how many cachers we have in SE Michigan... If you think this description describes you... just post a reply with your name/handle, e-mail if you don't mind, city you are from, and any other information you'd like to put there about yourself.

Dominic

(domneu)

Well, I'm Dominic (domneu), my e-mail is domneu@yahoo.com, I reside in Clinton Twp., and work in Ferndale. I am a systems administrator for an electrical contractor and, like Victory Mike, am an avid motorcycle rider. I ride a 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa. My favorite way to go geocaching is at night, with a flashlight, 8 extra AA batteries and about a can of DEET. I recently introduced my friend, ctucker into geocaching, who in turn introduced his brother to it also. I use a Garmin GPS V.

... All I can think to write now.

Dominic

There has been talk of another get-together in Michigan. So far none has been organized but there is talk about a Sept. gathering in the Waterloo Recreation Area. Check out the MIGO Yahoo Group for more Michigan discussion.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/migo/

Personally, I'd like to have a get-together at Maybury State Park since there are already 3 caches in the park. Anyone interested in helping plan and organize it? Maybe late September/early October before the cold sets in?

Scook - Stephen Cook, Age 55 from Detroit.

I'd do my best to attend an SE Michigan geocacher get-together.

I live in Birmingham. I've seen some wonderful caches in this area, and discovered a few gems of unfamiliar parts around here in the process.

John

--

"Stay off that highway: word is it's not so safe

The grasses that hide the green-backs,

the amber waves of gain again" --R.E.M.

An event in SE Michigan would be great. I'd definitely go*. My suggestion if you were going to plan an event is to watch the MiGO mailing list and web site (www.mi-geocaching.org) for talk of other events. It would be great if we could avoid schedule conflicts with other events, that would give more people the chance to do more stuff.

And BTW, if you're a Geocacher in Michigan we have a growing discussion group available via the yahoogroup Scook mentioned and a web site that is starting to grow with announcements of events, guidelines for caching in some Michigan parks, articles by members, etc. You can check it all out via the link in my sig. It's a good way to keep up to date on caching in Michigan.

*Standard disclaimers of schedules, being in town, etc. apply. Offer void where prohibited, cash value $.02

--------

trippy1976

migo2.gif

I have noticed that MIGO is not all that up to date and was thinking more of a social event than a caching event. I know that there are many different types of people who go caching, and was having difficulty thinking of a location to have such a get together. At first I thought of Mr. B's in Royal Oak They have a nice large interior that would be conducive to a gathering of a good deal of people (20 or so?). I then thought that that may not be such a good idea for those families that go caching. I would like to do it somewhere indoors to avoid a rain-out. Does anybody have any other ideas on locations?

Both of these places serve libations for the older crowd and have video games for the younger folks in the group (as well as the older young folks).

D&B is perhaps a bit out of the way, but it has pool and shuffle board along with the video games.

Gameworks is right off 75, so it has that benefit.

Just a thought. I don't think an 'event' cache has to be about caching at all. I'm hoping (but it's looking unlikely) to put together a frisbee golfing geocache event at the Civic Center park in Auburn Hills. Great little park for a few quick rounds or for beginners.

--------

trippy1976

migo2.gif

D&B seems a little more centrally located to me, and there are many caches nearby to keep the curious busy if they want to head out early... If we will drive 20-30 miles to find a cache, M-59 & M-53 should be no problem for a get-together. It does have food, drinks, and video games, covering all of the necessary human needs in life. Well now that we have a placce, does anybody have any suggestions for a date? Is Saturday, August 31st good?

D&B rocks, and may be a bit more suiting for getting together than GameWorks. I still pretty new to Geocaching, but have loved every hunt, even the frustrating ones. I can't promise I'd be able to go, but would definatly be interested. joshuaw39@excite.com Calling out from Shelby Twp.

Joshua Weller

JBird77

Hmm, Clinton/Shelby Township people vote for D&B, Lake Orion people leaning toward Gameworks. icon_smile.gif Actually, D&B probably is better for a bigger group. I've been to Gameworks with ~10 people, and it was a mess.

I would definitely try to attend. Sept 7 is currently free for me. (oops, except for it being my dad's birthday. But he caches with me sometimes...when he's not PILLAGING OUR OWN CACHES!!)

[This message was edited by dinoprophet on August 14, 2002 at 12:30 PM.]

Hmm, Clinton/Shelby Township people vote for D&B, Lake Orion people leaning toward Gameworks. icon_smile.gif Actually, D&B probably is better for a bigger group. I've been to Gameworks with ~10 people, and it was a mess.

I would definitely try to attend. Sept 7 is currently free for me. (oops, except for it being my dad's birthday. But he caches with me sometimes...when he's not PILLAGING OUR OWN CACHES!!)

[This message was edited by dinoprophet on August 14, 2002 at 12:30 PM.]

Sept. 7th at 5:30 p.m. (took some liberties and just decided to call a time) at Dave and Busters sounds good to me. That's where & when it will be. I will see all of you there that can show up. Once again, Saturday, 9/7 at 5:30 pm at Dave & Busters on Hall Road (M-59) & the Van Dyke Expressway (M-53).

If you can make it, e-mail me so I can get a count and maybe get some sort of reservations. E-Mail is dominic@ferndale-electric.com.

See You Soon,

Dominic

Hi everyone, first of all I want to say I am brand new as of tonight (I just signed up). Haven't even gone out for the first cache yet, but very excited to. i hope to have my gps by next weekend, still deciding on what garmin will be good (any suggestions?). well, anyway back to the dave and buster subject. did you all know that they also have a murder mystery dinner there on certain nights? heard it was fun and since we are all into games and figuring things out i thought i would mention it. well, talk to ya later, fleabandit

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

Both of these places serve libations for the older crowd and have video games for the younger folks in the group (as well as the older young folks).

D&B is perhaps a bit out of the way, but it has pool and shuffle board along with the video games.

Just a thought. I don't think an 'event' cache has to be about caching at all. I'm hoping (but it's looking unlikely) to put together a frisbee golfing geocache event at the Civic Center park in Auburn Hills. Great little park for a few quick rounds or for beginners.

--------

http://www.wunderware.com/mike/geocaching/

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

--

Aha! Was wondering when someone was gonna combine disc golfin' with cachein'. We got a grueling up-and-downer course up here in Traverse City (Hickory Hills DG course) on a wintertime ski hill...one of the most challenging I've been on, what with the trees, narrow "fairways" and extensive hilly terrain, save for a few flat runs on the bottom.

It'd make a great place for an informal gathering up here...I hope you have success with this excellent idea! Disc Golf Rocks!

Sad Note: "Steady Ed" Headrick, Disc Golf's Founder and creator of the original Frisbee passed into the great DG Course in the sky...where you're reward is eternal hole-in-one's! He will be greatly missed!

See story on the home page of the Disc Golf Association...it's right on the main page.

Disc Golf Mourns "Steady Ed" Headrick

May your discs never Anhouser...Anheiser yes--then you have an excuse icon_wink.gif...but never Anhouser. . .unless you want them to, that is!

Warm regards,

Stephen "Flying Fishe" Brown icon_wink.gif

196939_600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

--------

http://www.wunderware.com/mike/geocaching/

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

--

Aha! Was wondering when someone was gonna combine disc golfin' with cachein'. We got a grueling up-and-downer course up here in Traverse City (Hickory Hills DG course) on a wintertime ski hill...one of the most challenging I've been on, what with the trees, narrow "fairways" and extensive hilly terrain, save for a few flat runs on the bottom.

It'd make a great place for an informal gathering up here...I hope you have success with this excellent idea! Disc Golf Rocks!

Sad Note: "Steady Ed" Headrick, Disc Golf's Founder and creator of the original Frisbee passed into the great DG Course in the sky...where you're reward is eternal hole-in-one's! He will be greatly missed!

See story on the home page of the Disc Golf Association...it's right on the main page.

Disc Golf Mourns "Steady Ed" Headrick

May your discs never Anhouser...Anheiser yes--then you have an excuse icon_wink.gif...but never Anhouser. . .unless you want them to, that is!

Warm regards,

Stephen "Flying Fishe" Brown icon_wink.gif

196939_600.gif

As far as GPSes, you'd probably get more information in the GPS Units and Software forum, but I have a Garmin eTrex Venture (Green one? I think it's Green.)

I highly reccommend the eTrex series. If you're really new to the sport and just want to get to some caches without dumping a lot of cash into a GPS unit, I'd reccommend the Venture. The advantage is that it comes with a data cable, and has slightly updated components. No mapping capability.

If you need mapping, I'd suggest either the Garmin eTrex Legend (Blue) or the eMap by Garmin.

I have no real experience with non-Garmin GPSes. I got mine because of it's size. I didn't care about maps, and to buy a cable for the yellow (lowest end Garmin) made it cost about the same as the Venture - so I just got the more modern Venture.

And now the shameless plug. If you are new to caching in Michigan, you might be interested in checking out the information on www.mi-geocaching.org and joining the discussion group we have there icon_smile.gif

TTYL!

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

As far as GPSes, you'd probably get more information in the GPS Units and Software forum, but I have a Garmin eTrex Venture (Green one? I think it's Green.)

I highly reccommend the eTrex series. If you're really new to the sport and just want to get to some caches without dumping a lot of cash into a GPS unit, I'd reccommend the Venture. The advantage is that it comes with a data cable, and has slightly updated components. No mapping capability.

If you need mapping, I'd suggest either the Garmin eTrex Legend (Blue) or the eMap by Garmin.

I have no real experience with non-Garmin GPSes. I got mine because of it's size. I didn't care about maps, and to buy a cable for the yellow (lowest end Garmin) made it cost about the same as the Venture - so I just got the more modern Venture.

And now the shameless plug. If you are new to caching in Michigan, you might be interested in checking out the information on www.mi-geocaching.org and joining the discussion group we have there icon_smile.gif

TTYL!

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by FLEABANDIT:i hope to have my gps by next weekend, still deciding on what garmin will be good (any suggestions?).

I was just replying to a "getting started" thread that talked about the Garmen eTrek Venture, I have one and several people discuss this model in that thread youi may want to check out. Great features and low price. I myself didn't need the robust features seen on more expensive models, and the eTrek line is perfect for backpacking and geocaching!! good luck. JBird77

thanks to everyone that helped me get my gps. i got the legend today and am headed out tomorrow. thanks again. i guess the murder mystery dinner theatre at dave and busters went over like a lead balloon eh? whatever you guys decide i will try and make the get together to meet you all. have a great day! Stef

LIVE FOR TODAY!