No Geocaching in the Ohio Lake County Metro Parks

mcb

Sorry guys,

I am afraid that the Lake Metro Parks is not going to allow geocaching in the parks. I have been talking to the park rangers off and on for the last couple of months and was hoping they would allow me to come make a presentation about geocaching. I have not yet got that opertunity and at least for the short time they are not going to endorse geocaching in the park system. From talking to one of the park rangers just a few minutes ago it does not sound like they have made a hard and fast decision on the subject of geocaching but have decieded that until they do the will not allow it. So there is still hope that we may yet get permission.

So I would request that if you have a cache in the park system that you should archive it and please do not put anymore in the park system for now. I will be removing my cache at Indian Point this weekend sometime or at the latest early next week.

Sorry about this guys.

mcb

gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote

This sounds reminiscent of what happened at the CVNWR.. the rangers or forest service gets it in their head that this has a detrimental impact on the surroundings. Ive said it before and I will say it again.. I am an environmental engineer. I do impact analysis for a living.. this is a load of malerky. I have been to illegal caches in NPS like yellowstone and other high traffic areas and have seen little damage (in most instances) in fact I would say that going off the beaten track is benificial from an educational perspective.. especiall for children. I could go on and on on this one but i have 5 other posts in the past on this. The fact is that the little rangers in their little park system are never going to look at if from a balanced perspective. their flippen trade publications have roasted this sport with ZERO scientific date... citing only opinion... and not opinion based upon international standards of environmental impact asessment. I would not pull your cache.. make them go fetch it and learn how to use a gps! The only reason park officials devote so much time ot defamation of this hobby is becasue they can easily wrap their arms around it.. as opposed to catching those pesky mountain bikers who dont leave such an easy trail to follow to their destination... the impact from spinning tires on a mntn bike = a tremendous amount of foot traffic. icon_biggrin.gif

This sounds reminiscent of what happened at the CVNWR.. the rangers or forest service gets it in their head that this has a detrimental impact on the surroundings. Ive said it before and I will say it again.. I am an environmental engineer. I do impact analysis for a living.. this is a load of malerky. I have been to illegal caches in NPS like yellowstone and other high traffic areas and have seen little damage (in most instances) in fact I would say that going off the beaten track is benificial from an educational perspective.. especiall for children. I could go on and on on this one but i have 5 other posts in the past on this. The fact is that the little rangers in their little park system are never going to look at if from a balanced perspective. their flippen trade publications have roasted this sport with ZERO scientific date... citing only opinion... and not opinion based upon international standards of environmental impact asessment. I would not pull your cache.. make them go fetch it and learn how to use a gps! The only reason park officials devote so much time ot defamation of this hobby is becasue they can easily wrap their arms around it.. as opposed to catching those pesky mountain bikers who dont leave such an easy trail to follow to their destination... the impact from spinning tires on a mntn bike = a tremendous amount of foot traffic. icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe we could get some one from the hamilton county park district or cleveland metro park's to discuss the activity with them. Both of these park systems endorse the sport with their own programs. Well hamilton has placed their own letterbox's, but cleveland has their own geocaches. They would most likely atleast hear another park official out instead of just some guy who want's to play a game in the park.

Anyone got connection's?