How do I explain what geocaching is to someone?

Timatensoep

A lot of people ask what i'm doing when i'm trying to find a cache. Mostly, I lie that i'm doing a project for school. I can do that, cause i'm a kid. But when i'm older, no one gonna believe it. What do I have to say when someone stops and ask what i'm doing. One time, about a year ago, someone called the cops cause he thought i was a terrorist (he thought the geocache was a bomb). Luckally, the cops believed me that i was doing a kinda 'Hide 'n Seek' game.

Can u guys help me?

Thank You! :anibad:

Edited by Timatensoep

Being honest is usually the best course of action, ESPECIALLY if the person asking is law enforcement or security personnel.

Printing out a few of these....

http://www.gpsmaze.com/uploads/files/GEOCACH_F2.pdf

....to hand out to curious muggles can also be helpful....makes you look more legitimate.

This is best ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑. It works well for general muggles, LEO's and border crossings.

It three-folds perfectly, and if you reverse the paper you use both sides -- saving paper.

We carry them in our geobag, both of our vehicles and also I have some in my Harley sidebags.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

If asked by LEO or SO, always tell the truth--in as much detail as they want.

Casual passersby, I've used "Just taking pictures" of trees, of cracks in buildings, of insects, practically anything goes here except of kids on playgrounds. I just don't like having to explain geocaching to people who haven't a clue.

I can never understand the need for all the secrecy. :anicute: I like to share this wonderful past-time with family/friends, anyone who will listen, so I simply tell them I'm "Geocaching", and that it is "a scavenger hunt game that is played using a GPS unit."

I've created several converts this way. :)

Also, if you look like you are up to something you will draw unnecessary attention to yourself. I am rarely approached by anyone, as I take a casual approach while I'm caching. YMMV

Being honest is usually the best course of action, ESPECIALLY if the person asking is law enforcement or security personnel.

Printing out a few of these....

http://www.gpsmaze.com/uploads/files/GEOCACH_F2.pdf

....to hand out to curious muggles can also be helpful....makes you look more legitimate.

Here is a more printer friendly version...

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/Brochures/EN/EN_Geocaching_BROCHURE_online_bw.pdf

Like some others have said, I carry a credit card size, laminated sheet in my wallet. I don't always have a geocaching bag with me to carry the larger pamphlet but I always have my wallet with me. I usually carry about 5 at a time. Also like others have said, I initially say I'm on a type of scavenger hunt and there's supposed to be something in this vicinity. Quite often people accept this, wish me luck and walk away. Those that show more interest I usually mention Geocaching. If they continue to show interest, I take out one of my credit card sheets and give it to them. Just another thing, I always wear a high-vis vest whenever I am urban caching. Sometimes I also carry a clipboard and wear a hard hat! I ignore everyone walking past and continue searching. Most people don't give you a second glance as they think you are going about your work business, which you are apart from the fact it's not "work". :D I never try to spin a story because I find telling the truth is much easier. It always sounds suss whenever I tell a story. I do like the one about the Slug Survey, that's hilarious!!!!

c0dae416-526b-4742-aebc-f39366ebd352.jpg?rnd=0.3850672

Like some others have said, I carry a credit card size, laminated sheet in my wallet. I don't always have a geocaching bag with me to carry the larger pamphlet but I always have my wallet with me. I usually carry about 5 at a time. Also like others have said, I initially say I'm on a type of scavenger hunt and there's supposed to be something in this vicinity. Quite often people accept this, wish me luck and walk away. Those that show more interest I usually mention Geocaching. If they continue to show interest, I take out one of my credit card sheets and give it to them. Just another thing, I always wear a high-vis vest whenever I am urban caching. Sometimes I also carry a clipboard and wear a hard hat! I ignore everyone walking past and continue searching. Most people don't give you a second glance as they think you are going about your work business, which you are apart from the fact it's not "work". :D I never try to spin a story because I find telling the truth is much easier. It always sounds suss whenever I tell a story. I do like the one about the Slug Survey, that's hilarious!!!!

c0dae416-526b-4742-aebc-f39366ebd352.jpg?rnd=0.3850672

That is awesome, I want one of those!

Thanks guys, I will use this the next time someone ask what i'm doing. I hate it when people going to search for the cache along with me. In The Netherlands, where I come from, we call this a "Blok aan been" (BAB).

:anibad:

:D Technically we say the same in Germany. ;)

"Klotz am Bein"

I often jsut say "I'm looking for something". Some are satisfied and leave the scene.. if they are curious enough, they might stay and ask further. Depending on the situation I explain thet I'm on a scavenger hunt. Sonetimes, what GC is.

Two weeks ago I looked for a cache on a playground.. there was a family with small kids. When they asked me what I was doing, I directly explained it to them, since I can understand that it might not be funny for parents seeing someone (even a girl) sneaking around a playground.

But I like the leaflets.. will print some out when I have the chance to. :)

Some days ago there was a homeless drunk asking me waht I was "sneaking around the cars" on an open parking area (not even a car park, just a free area with stoney ground). He was so rude and told me to call the police.. since I am working with the BKA at the moment (just as student! So technically I have absolutely "no rights" :D) I showed him my BKA pass.. he disappeared.

Of cause, this pass is definitely not valid outside the BKA and in addition: I am no policeman.But the guy disappeared.. he was too rude to explain anything. -.- (at least: it worked.. never do this again. X.X)

Edited by Erbspueree

We downloaded a layout for "Muggle Cards" then personalized it and made it front and back, even put QR codes linked to www.geocaching.com. We have laminated ones in our cache kit that we regularly leave as swag for other cachers; and of course the laminated ones have Team Dredd printed under "Compliments of". We have them in Publisher template to print on business cards.

IF ANYONE WANTS THEM SEND US A MESSAGE AND I WILL EMAIL THEM TO YOU. You will need publisher or a program that opens .pub files to open or edit them. If I knew how to post a link so someone could download them somehow I would, but I have never done that.

MuggleCardFrontforothers-New_zpsbf0a5c2e.jpg

MuggleCardBack-New_zpsa31b2369.jpg