third party leaderboards

flask

I'm not going to go back and review it right now, but it has never been clear to me exactly how Cacherstats knows what state to rank us in. Perhaps, the site owner was actually able to move her to the land of the Ice Road Truckers, or maybe even Germany, where her numbers would be way down on the list?

I don't see a blank spot in her position on the world leaderboard, so unless there's a Mars leaderboard or something, it looks like she's been nuked. And I checked Nunavut too, just in case.

Whew! Our long, national nightmare is over.

I think not, I'd hate to think what would happen if a Martian walked into one of her local events and asked her how many caches she had found? What if she really emptied her bladder on his head?

It could start an inter global war...

:ph34r:

Edited by Don_J

So it is all right for you to rant about being placed anonymously on a leaderboard, but not for others to rant about your ranting?

where did i say it wasn't ok with me for people to rant about my rantings?

what's the point of entering into a discussion about things i don't like without other people being able to speak? i'm fully capable of wandering about the house ranting to nobody in particular.

and whoever was sad that i called it a "loserboard" my intent is clearly to make people uncomfortable with the words themselves. language is a very powerful thing. it can be subverted in all sorts of fun ways. if i can manage to get the word "leaderoard" associated with "loserboard", nobody will know who is being ironic and hip and maybe the whole thing will drop into disuse.

Doubtful. If people want to be ranked by whatever means they choose they'll continue to do it. "I've got more finds than you" can be anything from a friendly competition to a friendly dig to a hostile put-down. Better to ignore it completely if you're really not interested in it. People like to rank others, whether that's based on find count or salary or what car you drive or whatever else.

if i have to be made uncomfortable by my inclusion against my consent in a list of top ranked anythings, i get to call that list any old name i want.

i think next week i will be calling the list the little golden book of no-life point grubbers.

Call it what you like but you'll probably sound like someone who doesn't want to play anymore because someone overtook them. A 15-stage multi taking in a 10-mile hike gets one smiley while a powertrail could have chalked up 100 smilies in the same time, but when the person who is 98 caches "behind" points that out it still looks like sour grapes.

here's the deal: if i don't have to be on the list i'll be very respectful. as long as it's a forced frogmarch, i'll call it what i want.

if you're make everybody be ranked, expect the unwilling to be rankled.

Who said it was a forced frogmarch? If you don't care about where you rank on the board how is it a forced anything?

I've been to two events. If I ask someone how many finds they have (which I have), it's in order to steer the conversation: if they have less than, say, 20, I'll maybe discuss hide/find methods that they may not be aware of. If they have, say, 5000 or more, I'll ask advice. It's not a competition for me, but simply a way to determine how best to continue the conversation. Please don't turd on me.

Or maybe I should just look up their stats on my phone before continuing the conversation, so I don't have to ask? :unsure:

I've been to two events. If I ask someone how many finds they have (which I have), it's in order to steer the conversation: if they have less than, say, 20, I'll maybe discuss hide/find methods that they may not be aware of. If they have, say, 5000 or more, I'll ask advice. It's not a competition for me, but simply a way to determine how best to continue the conversation. Please don't turd on me.

Or maybe I should just look up their stats on my phone before continuing the conversation, so I don't have to ask? :unsure:

I have at times. Mostly to see if we'd get along with the group.

We've skipped a local. regular event, due to the competitive atmosphere.

We go to events to meet folks and relax. The last thing I wanta hear is numbers.

- Being the only ones to log a DNF on a night cache afterwards (that wasn't even there) didn't help...

I don't see where asking "how many finds?" gleans you any info in conversation.

That person with less than twenty could have all "5" hides with serious technical knowledge (someone you could learn tons from) and you come off as a know-it-all, while that person with 5000 may have simply just leapfrogged a buncha 1/1.5 powertrails, someone we wouldn't be asking advice from...

I have never thought about numbers being personal data, but if Groundspeak interprets them as such, then the TOU prohibits users who "Collect, store or distribute personal data about other users of our services."

I think this answers the whole question.....I think your stats are personal data.

I have never thought about numbers being personal data, but if Groundspeak interprets them as such, then the TOU prohibits users who "Collect, store or distribute personal data about other users of our services."

I think this answers the whole question.....I think your stats are personal data.

My stats may be personal data, but they're not private data. Before signing up for a membership, I checked out the Web site and saw that cachers' statistics were public. Years later, there are a lot more stats to look at, and they're still public.

When I signed up, Groundspeak never promised anything about the privacy of my stats. They still haven't, at least as far as I'm aware.

The ability of others to see at least your basic stats, including your find count, is part of the package you signed up for when you became a member. Either live with it, stop logging your finds, or campaign to get it changed.

--Larry

Edited for clarification.

Edited by larryc43230

I think not, I'd hate to think what would happen if a Martian walked into one of her local events and asked her how many caches she had found? What if she really emptied her bladder on his head?

Maybe to a Martian that's a high compliment. But if she states she's going to google its gender, on the other hand, I think that may be the end of our planet.

Maybe to a Martian that's a high compliment. But if she states she's going to google its gender, on the other hand, I think that may be the end of our planet.

Do Martians have a gender? Now that I think about it I should know that answer. Just remember we are good friends and have an alliance with the Vogons, so be careful you don't insult us.

I have at times. Mostly to see if we'd get along with the group.

We've skipped a local. regular event, due to the competitive atmosphere.

We go to events to meet folks and relax. The last thing I wanta hear is numbers.

- Being the only ones to log a DNF on a night cache afterwards (that wasn't even there) didn't help...

I don't see where asking "how many finds?" gleans you any info in conversation.

That person with less than twenty could have all "5" hides with serious technical knowledge (someone you could learn tons from) and you come off as a know-it-all, while that person with 5000 may have simply just leapfrogged a buncha 1/1.5 powertrails, someone we wouldn't be asking advice from...

I went to one event in my area. I won't be making that mistake again. I would love to attend another event in a different area. I would like this whole hanging out, swapping advice about gear, community thing I've heard of in tales.

In my area, the loudest voices say you are not a "real" cacher until you have one thousand finds.

In other words, you have to make a mad attempt to be FTF on each guardrail micro that comes out (and there are hundreds). You have to have a flexible schedule that allows you to be part of a group to do powertrails where one guy signs PFGNIMRF for the "group" on each trailside film container. You have to have "buddies" who will solve puzzles and take you on canoe rides and climb trees or mountains to go get log sheets for you (so you can also claim the DT 81... which may at some future date be the mark of a "real" cacher).

With my less than 100 finds, my bag full of cache-repair-essentials, my desire to have a nice hike with my dog which isn't halted every 161 meters to sign something, my love for nature and for the game... it will probably be a very long time before I'm a "real" cacher.

In my area, the loudest voices say you are not a "real" cacher until you have one thousand finds.

Please add the trademark symbol when using the words Real Geocachers. :ph34r:

Sorry to hear that your experience at an event is so unpleasant. Might want to avoid events in Vermont as well to avoid getting accidentally punched in the face or having your gender googled, but you should be pretty safe here in the San Francisco Bay Area if you decide to visit. You know as well as I do that it's not that those guys are more "real", they're just more obsessed.

Sorry to hear that your experience at an event is so unpleasant. Might want to avoid events in Vermont as well to avoid getting accidentally punched in the face or having your gender googled, but you should be pretty safe here in the San Francisco Bay Area if you decide to visit. You know as well as I do that it's not that those guys are more "real", they're just more obsessed.

I didn't mean Real Geocacher though, I used the "sarcasm quotation marks" instead to insinuate my disdain. In this area it is not unusual for "real" cachers to get 1000 (and the Golden Ammo Can that goes with it) within a year.

I really hate when my ambiguous virtual genitalia is googled, especially by Vermontians. My job sent me to the San Francisco Bay Area many years ago, when geocaching was an infant. I would love to go again, it is quite beautiful there.

I didn't mean Real Geocacher though, I used the "sarcasm quotation marks" instead to insinuate my disdain. In this area it is not unusual for "real" cachers to get 1000 (and the Golden Ammo Can that goes with it) within a year.

I really hate when my ambiguous virtual genitalia is googled, especially by Vermontians. My job sent me to the San Francisco Bay Area many years ago, when geocaching was an infant. I would love to go again, it is quite beautiful there.

1000 in a year? (raspberry sound) Who do they think their kidding? What a bunch of pikers. A Real Geocacher™ can do that in less than a day. A Real Geocacher™ can do 3 or 4 thousand a year without really trying.

Come up here to Washington's wet side if you want to see some beautiful places. I've lived in the SF bay area, but will take the wet side any time.

1000 in a year? (raspberry sound) Who do they think their kidding? What a bunch of pikers. A Real Geocacher™ can do that in less than a day. A Real Geocacher™ can do 3 or 4 thousand a year without really trying.

Come up here to Washington's wet side if you want to see some beautiful places. I've lived in the SF bay area, but will take the wet side any time.

*phhhht* Wetsiders. :anibad:

My stats may be personal data, but they're not private data. Before signing up for a membership, I checked out the Web site and saw that cachers' statistics were public. Years later, there are a lot more stats to look at, and they're still public.

Of course. That is why I have never complained about the find count being included on this site. However, the TOU does not distinguish between private data and personal data. It seems to me that there is a difference between looking at my find count and other public data on this site and taking that information to collect, store, and distribute it on a third party site.

Since it would be up to Groundspeak to interpret and enforce their TOU, it is really nothing more than curiosity on my part. I have no interest in mounting a campaign, and I am satisfied that my detailed stats can be hidden.

Edited by geodarts

The green of the wetside is so much prettier than the brown of your side. :anitongue:

The green of the wetside is so much prettier than the brown of your side. :anitongue:

Interstate wars!!! :antenna::drama:

I spend way to much time on the wet side so when I can I'll take a trip to the brown side.

I spend way to much time on the wet side so when I can I'll take a trip to the brown side.

Argh, then wait until late April or early May, it's green and flowery and all the orchards are in bloom. It's gorgeous.

Thats just GROSS! :blink:

Ok, this thread isn't good for my health. I'm laughing so hard I'm choking. Knock it off everyone, and get back to the leaderboard argument. :anibad::laughing:

What? I live in Vancouver and last month took a trip to the Mohave desert for the second time this year, next week I'm going to Salt Lake City.

Interrastate wars!!! :antenna::drama:

Fixed it for ya! :P

Ok, this thread isn't good for my health. I'm laughing so hard I'm choking. Knock it off everyone, and get back to the leaderboard argument. :anibad::laughing:

What? I live in Vancouver and last month took a trip to the Mohave desert for the second time this year, next week I'm going to Salt Lake City.

When are you going to be there? We'll be there the 3rd thru the 6th, leaving Seattle area on the 28th for some sightseeing/caching on the way.

When are you going to be there? We'll be there the 3rd thru the 6th, leaving Seattle area on the 28th for some sightseeing/caching on the way.

Just before, June 28 - July 1st, I'll leave my personal little round thing about the size of a nickel with a small, offset hole in Potters Pond for you if you are going there too.

Edited by Roman!

Just before, June 28 - July 1st, I'll leave my personal little round thing about the size of a nickel with a small, offset hole in Potters Pond for you if you are going there too.

Been there already (Sept 2012). Too bad we'll miss - enjoy your trip.

Been there already (Sept 2012). Too bad we'll miss - enjoy your trip.

Thanks, you too.

and whoever googled "the gender of flask", good job. i am not sure whether to laugh derisively or just to laugh.

No one googled it. You've been around a long time, and I just happened to know. I remember, also, that it came up over some comments made by a certain Benwa in a game called Ikariam, long ago. You knew me as "nony" then.

This is Flask you're talking about. She hasn't been any different over the years, and people still like talking to her.

Well, I know I'm not going to be making any friends with this comment, but here goes. The whole time I've been reading this thread, I'm thinking "What's the big deal, I don't get it." But now that I know Flask is a 'she', it all makes perfect sense. Well, maybe not perfect sense, but it's not surprising now.

Oink oink

I'm not really sure what to make of this post.

I know exactly what to make of it.

I step away for a few days, and I come back to this? Yikes. I'm not sure what that was about.

Wait...is this still the geocaching forum?

The only topic that has not come up in this thread yet is flask's cat.

Well, I know I'm not going to be making any friends with this comment, but here goes. The whole time I've been reading this thread, I'm thinking "What's the big deal, I don't get it." But now that I know Flask owns a cat, it all makes perfect sense. Well, maybe not perfect sense, but it's not surprising now.

:santa:

Well, I know I'm not going to be making any friends with this comment, but here goes. The whole time I've been reading this thread, I'm thinking "What's the big deal, I don't get it." But now that I know Flask owns a cat, it all makes perfect sense. Well, maybe not perfect sense, but it's not surprising now.

It only makes sense if the cat is male.

Is it like schrodinger's cat?

Dead?

Dead?

I'm not certain.

Sheldon says it is both dead and alive.

Well, if there's a radioactive source then the cat is dead.

And if it's flake's cat and it's competitive then it's probably dead too..

Edited by Roman!

And if it's flake's cat and it's competitive then it's probably dead too..

Is that a slip or deliberate? And what is the etiquette on googling the gender of a dead cat?

Ha, ipad autocorrect, I think all's fair in love and dead cat research but you just reminded me of a fun site.

Edited by Roman!

You don't understand cats do you? You don't own cats, cats own you.

I have a cat. She doesn't care and is rather indifferent that she is at the top of the leaderboard for mice killed in our house, even though I bring it up from time to time. She wishes I didn't keep stats of that, as she doesn't really see it as a competition, other than between her and the mice.

Edited by TopShelfRob

I have a cat. She doesn't care and is rather indifferent that she is at the top of the leaderboard for mice killed in our house, even though I bring it up from time to time. She wishes I didn't keep stats of that, as she doesn't really see it as a competition, other than between her and the mice.

I am beating my cat in mice killed and the cat is quite upset with me.

Edited by Roman!

Just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading some the OP's Found It logs. Sorta reminded me of a David Thorne humor, which I completely dig. Perhaps next* to oregone's logs, these were some of the funniest I'd read in some time.

* Not that I'm going to rank them anywhere. Promise.

Just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading some the OP's Found It logs. Sorta reminded me of a David Thorne humor, which I completely dig. Perhaps next* to oregone's logs, these were some of the funniest I'd read in some time.

* Not that I'm going to rank them anywhere. Promise.

Cat lover!

I am beating my cat in mice killed and the cat is quite upset with me.

You're also beating Flask (and everyone else) on the leaderboard for this thread:

Roman! 39

flask 28

Chrysalides 21

jholly 15

kunarion 12