Downtown caches

Rabid Bunny

I have plans to put a few micros in downtown Columbus, Ohio and was wondering if anyone had input/advice on that. Do most feel uncomfortable with urban caching or do you see it as a challenge? Waiting for the right moment to grab it without anyone seeing, or is it just going to raise suspicion? Would it be better to do virtuals in the city? These are just some questions, any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

imurevenge.gif

"Can't stop the bunny"

In this day and times with the way things are going I personally do not like to do things in public that looks suspicious. This could give the sport a bad name because even though what we are doing is not bad, if someone calls the law on a cacher and they come out to investigate then that is causing them problems since they would be busy with "us" and there may be a real crime going on because the cops were distracted by "us".

This is just my humble opinion and everyone may not agree.

RB,

I think you're Sunday Afternoon Virt was a perfect Urban cache. Along the same lines, I enjoyed Barn Cache in Dublin because of the thrill of finding a micro in a VERY public space (at least in the daylight.) As I troll for stache spots, I've been looking for places where no one will do a "clean-up" project or some sort of landscaping. I think it might be best to try to get specific permission to leave one somewhere (Under the sign of the church at Broad and 3rd, for example). That way, if someone asks about it, it won't close a street or bring the news crews.

The parks are good and easy, but I, for one, would be up for a CacheBash in the Center City. Hmmm. Make all of City Center a cache and the whole city can post a TNLN find!

I personally haven't really be out to find many "urbans" however I think that I would enjoy it. It adds an extra sense of adventure trying to be stealthy. Of course, like was mentioned above, you might want to make sure that you place them in areas that aren't going to make bystanders curious. It seems to me that done correctly, we wouldn't have to worry when finding it, and you wouldn't have to worry when placing/maintaining it. I'm sure that in light of the Ancient Artery mess you knew that though. Any word on that cache yet btw? I still think that sucked what happened with it, I really enjoyed that one. icon_frown.gif

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

DevilDogs actually responded to an e-mail of mine saying that the cache is in the back of their car, and they are in Virginia. They'll let me know when they are back in town to deliver the cache.

As far as the downtown caching goes I think I'll try a couple of micros with really nothing more than a log sheet in it. Hopefully easily mistaken for garbage and easily replacable. Maybe tie them together somehow, like there are in Cinncinatti, but hidden it slightly more interesting places. Maybe once you find certain ones you get coords to a regular cache somewhere. Just thoughts.

imurevenge.gif

"Look at the bones!"

My wife and I did some of Electric Shavers "caches". We found them to be anything but interesting and in the exact kind of places that would arouse suspicion. Such was the case when an employee of the establishment we were looking in front of came out and asked us what we were doing because we were in front of a Saab dealership. Hmmm...not fun or interesting. I'm not really looking for that kind of "excitment" from my caching experience, nor would I expect that from the other cachers I know.

I'm looking more for interesting or historic locations downtown but still in hidden places. I want people to walk away from a cache thinking that they didn't just waste their time.

ok, done bashing.

imurevenge.gif

"Look at the bones!"

I haven't done any of the ES caches, but if that's how they're setup, I wouldn't be interested. Like you said, RB, if it's historic or at least of some value (Maybe an unusual feature or design) then I would be all for it. Otherwise, I can visit a car dealer or whatever on my own time if I wanted to.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

There are others who send people to various places to find information listed at that point to be used in calculating the final cache

co-ordinates. See GC2741 as an example.

If its not what you want, atleast I tried. icon_smile.gif

I'm not Lost, my GPS says I'm right here....no over here......no over here.