Wisconsin: seeking a forgotten roadside attraction... cache-able?

Hoodoo

A year or two ago while traveling through an area of Wisconsin I saw something in the yard of a private residence that amused me. I was in a hurry to keep an appointment and like a dope I didn't take the time to stop and save the location in my GPS unit. I have since driven back to the general area I think it is located but could not find it.

It is a large item over ten feet tall and I would imagine it is most likely still right where I found it. I believe it to be within a 30 to 50 mile radius of a certain city. Along with a personal recollection of what it looks like, that's all I'd be able to provide.

I am trying to think of a way to involve geocaching in finding the location of this item. Since this is simply an item of interest to me, is there some way for me to create a reverse mystery cache, or something like that?

Assuming the item is still there, and if someone found and posted coordinates for it, I would definitely take the time to drive and photograph it. But because I live quite a few miles from the item, I would have no future contact with it other than that. I wouldn't utilize it to create a regular cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Hoodoo:

I am trying to think of a way to involve geocaching in finding the location of this item. Since this is simply an item of interest to me, is there some way for me to create a reverse mystery cache, or something like that?

I'm replying to my own original post to state that I am going to post this situation into one of the general areas of the forums instead of just this Midwest one. I notice a number of folks viewed this but there have been no responses so I'm assuming it could be better posted elsewhere.

Since locationless/reverse caches aren't currently being approved, *and* this would be limited to one find, I don't think you'd be able to get an official cache page created for the search. It's possible that the item itself could somehow be made into a virtual after you know where it is, though, depending on the details (such as if the property owners are interested in allowing it). I'd say just post your description in the appropriate local forum and see if anyone can come up with it. Maybe offer some sort of geo-reward. I think the lack of responses is simply because the answer is "no, probably not," and because you haven't told us enough about the fabulous object to pique interest in searching for it.

quote:
Originally posted by Kite & Hawkeye:

...because you haven't told us enough about the fabulous object to pique interest in searching for it.

I have been vague about the object and area I think it is located because I feel if it is cache-able in some way, mentioning details about it would ruin that possibility.