What to do this winter?

Guest sbukosky

Guest sbukosky

I've tried to get a feel for the timeframe of Geocaching here in SE Wisconsin. My impression is that it's in it's first year. Has anyone had any experience with wintertime hiding and hunting? Anyone have an opinion on terrain difficulty? I, for one, like the excersize. However, I'm aware of the physical limitations of some who would participate were it not for the distance and hills of many hunts. I'd like to challenge everyone to come up with hides not far off the beaten path but such that the casual wanderer won't happen across it. For example, a drive up cache where the disabled person could see likely spots for the "dog to flush" the cache. Maybe a new diffculty rating would be a wheelchair sign?

Guest kbraband

We were geocaching part of last winter in SE Wisconsin. I've been reading posts from others who think that snow will bury caches, but we found that not to be the case. Most caches were protected by logs, underbrush, etc. so they were accessible and visible if you used your geocaching skills to seek out likely hiding spots. Regarding your suggestion for an accessible winter cache, I recommend our Wilde Goose Chase cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1301