Oregon 650 Profiles

Ok, I have the following scenario that I can't find a solution for. I'm on my Oregon 650 in the Geocache profile. I select Go To -> Waypoint and choose the waypoint I want. I hit Go. The Oregon then tries to send me to the nearest geocache instead of the waypoint I chose. If I switch to the Recreational profile and do the same thing, it works fine. It seems silly to have to switch profiles just to go to a waypoint. Hopefully I'm doing something wrong and this isn't intentional behavior.

Anyone have any ideas?

You can set up the "dashboard" in many ways, including large or small data fields. I think your issue is a matter of selecting a dashboard that suits you. I was able just now to select the large "Geocache" data field, and it indeed points to a nearby cache I wasn't even targeting -- I think it's the closest cache I have not found. I can change it instantly by clicking that little compass, and selecting a different cache. You can navigate to any waypoint while still viewing the bearing to a chosen cache, which could be handy at times.

Read this Topic, and see if it helps:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=248983

It's for the "450", but the dashboard features still exist. Just try some selections, and set it up so it works the way you like. Another suggestion in that Topic is to switch Profiles to avoid confusion. But I have my Geocaching Profile set to direct me only to the waypoint or cache I'm currently navigating to, so I know it's possible to not see the "Nearest cache" dashboard item (which would confuse me too much :anicute:).

I prefer the small data fields dashboard, showing cache/waypoint name (Waypoint at Dest), GPS accuracy, time and distance to "next".

Pretty much any change you make becomes part of the currently selected Profile. You can customize them all in any way you wish. I have a similar dashboard in Automotive, but with "Time Of Day" instead of "GPS Accuracy". When I switch between Automotive and Geocaching, the main menu items for each are set to the most useful ones for me.

Edited by kunarion

I had a 450 at one time and when I selected a waypoint it would go to the waypoint. The 650 doesn't and it's annoying.

Mine is set up to do that. I don't know if it was doing it by default. But I don't even need to do "Stop Navigation", to quit the cache and start the waypoint (kind of a process I used while using the 450 before Garmin fixed the firmware). I actually can't currently duplicate your issue except in the dashboard compass, which I keep out of view.

If you can post screen shots, that might help. If you think your Profile is defective, Garmin will send a new one. You could even post your Profile file (in theory), so Forum people could run it themselves.

Edited by kunarion

So if you are in the geocache profile (which I have set as my default) and you click the little magnifying glass, then choose Waypoints, then a particular waypoint, it starts directing you to your chosen point? Mine instantly tries to route me to the nearest cache instead. Completely ignoring the fact that I chose a waypoint. If my profile is bad, then I know two other people who have bad profiles, as their units (650's) do the exact same thing.

Note that the magnifying glass is an icon that I put on the "desktop" of the geocaching profile.

Edited by C3GPS

So if you are in the geocache profile (which I have set as my default) and you click the little magnifying glass, then choose Waypoints, then a particular waypoint, it starts directing you to your chosen point? Mine instantly tries to route me to the nearest cache instead. Completely ignoring the fact that I chose a waypoint. If my profile is bad, then I know two other people who have bad profiles, as their units (650's) do the exact same thing.

Note that the magnifying glass is an icon that I put on the "desktop" of the geocaching profile.

Cool, "Where To?" is one of the 4 items I put on my main screen.

Embarassingly enough, I can't get my 650T to do what yours does. You may have to type out exact steps. I can't get mine to be annoying B). But I'm trying!

On another note, how do I post a profile file?

You could email it to me (my address is in my profile). The Oregon Profile files are 14KB, very small.

I can place it on my server online. I did it with my own Geocaching Profile that is set up just the way I like it:

http://www.kunarion.com/Geocache/Caching.gpf

So if you send it, there will be a link so somebody might see what the deal is. I'd assume I'd see what you see, if I'm following the same process you are.

(Completely hypothetical): You could download mine, name it (I named it "Caching.gpf" so it doesn't overwrite any file), place it into the Profile folder, select it as your active Profile, and see if it works better that the other one. If it's OK, change what you like, get rid of the old "Geocaching" one or rename it, then rename the new one one "Geocaching" from the Oregon's menu.

Also, while you're in that Profile folder, back up everything. I did that after a previous Topic about scrambled Profiles. I don't want to have to start from scratch.

Edited by kunarion

I've typed out exact steps twice. I wonder of you can post your profile file? I'll see if it works on my unit, although you'll have to give me steps on how to load it. I've never done that.

Wow you type quick. :anicute:

See if you can download mine:

http://www.kunarion....che/Caching.gpf

Windows tries to change the extension, but you may just download it as "txt", then change the extension to "gpf".

The Profile folder on the 650 is here:

[Drive:]/Garmin/Profiles

All of the profiles are like "Geocaching.gpf", with the name of the file becoming the name of the Profile in the 650's menu.

Edited by kunarion

Ok, I think I have it and the solution was in your very first post. It just wasn't computing with me until I saw it. Once I changed to small data fields it points to the waypoint instead of the cache. The large data field, however, still points to the closest cache in my list of loaded caches. However, even with the large data field, the magenta line is still going to the waypoint. Kinda silly that the compass and distance in the large field wouldn't give the info for the waypoint but, whatever. I'm going to try it for a few days with the small data fields to see if I can get used to it. Either way, now I know there's some sort of method to the madness.

Thanks for the help! Sorry to be a bit dense.

Ok, I think I have it and the solution was in your very first post. It just wasn't computing with me until I saw it. Once I changed to small data fields it points to the waypoint instead of the cache. The large data field, however, still points to the closest cache in my list of loaded caches. However, even with the large data field, the magenta line is still going to the waypoint. Kinda silly that the compass and distance in the large field wouldn't give the info for the waypoint but, whatever. I'm going to try it for a few days with the small data fields to see if I can get used to it. Either way, now I know there's some sort of method to the madness.

Thanks for the help! Sorry to be a bit dense.

Like you, I don't typically need the bearing to a Geocache while I'm navigating to a waypoint. I'd prefer it to default to pointing in just one direction at a time :laughing:. Garmin probably just wants everyone to see the raw power of the GPSr (Of course we do! :anicute:).

Anyway, I'm glad you have a better idea of what the deal is.