Noland Trail, Newport News, VA

Hello! So has anyone else who has cached the Noland Trail ever seen any square, wooden orange and white signs with numbers such as H1 and G8 on them? They're not on the trail itself but are off the main trial on some of the smaller unofficial trails. Some of them also have hanging from a string what are like plastic tongs with 4 spikes on one side. I have encountered 3 three of these, on by Cassie's Cache, on by The Awesome Cache, and another kind of deep in the woods closer to Warwick BLVD. I have no idea what they are, or what they're for, and I can't seem to find anything even on google. I can't be the only one who has seen these and wondered what they are.

Edited by maidenshredds

Hello! So has anyone else who has cached the Noland Trail ever seen any square, wooden orange and white signs with numbers such as H1 and G8 on them? They're not on the trail itself but are off the main trial on some of the smaller unofficial trails. Some of them also have hanging from a string what are like plastic tongs with 4 spikes on one side. I have encountered 3 three of these, on by Cassie's Cache, on by The Awesome Cache, and another kind of deep in the woods closer to Warwick BLVD. I have no idea what they are, or what they're for, and I can't seem to find anything even on google. I can't be the only one who has seen these and wondered what they are.

Those sound like Orienteering markers. The "tongs" are used to punch a scorecard to verify that you found the marker.