Garmin Oregon 600

Erbspueree

Hi guys,

Since today I am the proud owner of a Garmin Oregon 600 and since I "upgraded" my hardware extremely by buying it, I wanted to try a Wherigo cache - there is one listed just around the corner of my house..

But.. I have absolutely no idea where to find the Wherigo app, where EXACTLY to save the cardridge etc.. and in case there is no Wherigo player yet: how can I get it onto my device?

Hi guys,

Since today I am the proud owner of a Garmin Oregon 600 and since I "upgraded" my hardware extremely by buying it, I wanted to try a Wherigo cache - there is one listed just around the corner of my house..

But.. I have absolutely no idea where to find the Wherigo app, where EXACTLY to save the cardridge etc.. and in case there is no Wherigo player yet: how can I get it onto my device?

I don't think Wherigo was included with the OR 600. My 550t has it but I have never used it.

No, there isn't a chance to get it. I don't know the situation between Garmin and Groundspeak, but it's likely something in the 600's architecture changed that caused a bug with their Wherigo implementation, so they took it out instead of spending time to fix it. I can't blame them, actually, since Groundspeak hasn't done anything with Wherigo in six years.

So far that is the only thing that I've found that it doesn't do, well that and hold the imaginary 4 million caches listed on open caching.... Not sure anyone has figured out the max gpx geocaches.

Yees, but it still is a pity.. (we'll try the Wherigo caches with the smartphone of my mother.. )

EDIT: found the mistake.. it has to be turned on, BEFORE connecting to the PC to be recognized..:D Aaah.. :D it works.

Edited by Erbspueree

I too have a new Oregon 600. The pinned Forum message "List of verified hardware" indicates the Oregon supports Wherigo, and the Wherigo cache type shows up as a geocache type on my unit. However, I've not found where in the Oregon's file structure to place a cartridge, so have not gotten the cartridge to display. I'm therefore not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or the Oregon 600 really doesn't support Wherigo. I'm new to the whole Wherigo thing, so am going to try it out on my Droid phone in the interim...

Same here, drshughes- This is why I asked.. it looks like it COUDL handle Wherigo.. especially because the Wherigo website says, that it works "automatically" on "Garmin Oegon" (that does not exclude the 600s..)

But it seems we are unlucky.. :/

And since my mum has a WINDOWS Phone and not android or iOS, we also couldn't try out Wherigo by smartpohone yet.. :D (and I don't have a smartphone yet..)

The new Oregon GPS receivers don't support Wherigo. The thread you're referencing was from 2008. Until Wherigo development officially resumes, I'm not going to start and pin a new topic that has an updated list.

It's also the Wherigo website stating that. So not only the thread.. kind of confusing.. (just to make clear) :)

No need to change anything..

Edited by Erbspueree

I too have a new Oregon 600. The pinned Forum message "List of verified hardware" indicates the Oregon supports Wherigo, and the Wherigo cache type shows up as a geocache type on my unit. However, I've not found where in the Oregon's file structure to place a cartridge, so have not gotten the cartridge to display. I'm therefore not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or the Oregon 600 really doesn't support Wherigo. I'm new to the whole Wherigo thing, so am going to try it out on my Droid phone in the interim...

I just wrote my 1st Wherigo and loaded it on to my Oregon(an older 550)so that I can test it out before publishing it...

When I plug the Garmin in with the USB I follow the path to view files:

Computer-->Garmin(F:)-->Wherigo and just pasted the cartridge to the Wherigo folder. Normally when I click on Garmin(F:) there are 3 folders showing, DCIM (for pictures) GARMIN ( which has several files; but I mostly only ever use "GPX" to load PQ's and "visits" for field notes)and Wherigo.

So then I booted up the GPS and couldn't find the Wherigo, but that was because I was looking for it under the Geocaches/ find a geocache 'buttons' ... finally I scrolled over and found a 'button' dedicated to Wherigos on my main menu. Guess I just never noticed it before!

Hope it's the same for your device or you can get it to work on your phone. Good Luck :)

Hope it's the same for your device or you can get it to work on your phone. Good Luck :)

Nope.:( Unfortunately, there IS no Wherigo-Button, because there is no Wherigo-App/Player on the Oregon 6x0s But thanx for the explanation. :)

Edited by Erbspueree

Nope.:( Unfortunately, there IS no Wherigo-Button, because there is no Wherigo-App/Player on the Oregon 6x0s But thanx for the explanation. :)

Ohhh :( well That IS dissapointing especially since it is advertised that Oregons do Wherigos! Since it seems to be mainly a software issue I'm wondering if it is possible to somehow download it from somewhere... the other option is to play the cartridges using a smartphone or pocket PC. I just test-played my 1st Wherigo, using an android phone & the free app called WhereYouGo.

To my knowledge, the Oregon does not have an app store, so it's not as simple as downloading an app that will work with the software. I'm not certain if the Oregon architecture is app-centric, with each of the tiles you see being an app, or if it's just presented as if it was. Oddly enough, it might be possible to play Wherigo with Garmin's Monterra GPSr because it seems to be Android-based.

It's no secret my stance is to get Wherigo off Garmin. This is because Garmin would have to be involved to create the application and we would then be wholly dependent upon Garmin's releasing updates. Imagine what would happen if the Wherigo Foundation begins adding features to Wherigo, such as video. Garmin's Colorado is discontinued, so those people won't get an update. Aside from doubts that the Oregon contains the processing power to run video--audio is out--the Oregon can't even connect to a hotspot so it could stream the video in the first place (for sake of a faster cartridge download, I would prefer to stream any video the cartridge has). So I believe it's to the community's benefit that Garmin seems to have phased out Wherigo. It's sad, but at least we won't have as many problems in the future.