Cache distances

Sussex Seagull

Hi, i'm still quite new to this, so any help would be appreciated.

I know that new caches have to be at least (I think) 168m apart, but does this apply to all cache types? I notice on a map of my area that some church micro caches are much closer than this.

Can I place a cache closer than 168m to a church micro?

thanks

It doesn't matter what size or type of cache it is....and there's no special type known as a "church micro"....that's just a micro that happens to be located near a church.

Basically, any physical object that has been placed in the environment must be 528 feet (or 168 meters) from any other physical object. If it's a multi cache where something already there is used to figure the next stage coordinates (like if you have to get the date from a historic marker, for instance), those waypoints do not apply because that object was preexisting. But if you place an object there, like an intermediate container or a tag with coordinates on it, that object must be 168 meters from any components of another cache.

You may see two caches that appear to be closer than 168 meters on the map.....it's possible that one or both of those icons are just the starting point of a multi, where information must be gathered but there is no physical object placed there.

Can you provide the GC code numbers of the two caches in question? Perhaps we can help you figure out why they are so close.

Edited by Chief301

I know that new caches have to be at least (I think) 168m apart, but does this apply to all cache types? I notice on a map of my area that some church micro caches are much closer than this.

thanks

You will need to read the Guidelines, more than once preferably, to fully understand the Saturation guideline. The distance required between physical cache containers has nothing to do with size or type.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Click the blue text under Fundamental Placement Guidelines #7 that says "Physical elements of different geocaches should be at least 0.10 miles (528 ft or 161 m) apart." That should explain how some caches seem closer to each other than the 161 meters.

You might also want to read the "Hiding a Geocache" section in the Help Center, before placing a cache:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

As for the Church Micro series, some of them may be multicaches, like this one:

http://coord.info/GC434WG Church Micro 3210 - St Giles; Imber

Here's a link to a page I found while searching for bookmark lists of the Church Micros series:

http://www.15ddv.me.uk/geo/cm/index.html

B.

thanks

You should probably follow the advice of others and read the cache placement guidelines twelve or thirteen times.

No.... really.... Read those guidelines. A LOT

You should probably follow the advice of others and read the cache placement guidelines twelve or thirteen times.

No.... really.... Read those guidelines. A LOT

Yes, at least four times:

Once, to see what they say;

Twice, to see what they don't say;

Thrice, to see what you missed the first two times;

Fourth, to understand just what you read the first three times.

No... we are not kidding, either! :)

Physical components of caches (anything hidden by a cache placer) should be at least 161m from any other cache, however if the start point for a mystery or multi cache is something like a recommended car park or a "read the date on the plaque" type clue then they can be closer together. You do sometimes see more than one mystery or multi cache with the start co-ordinates in the same place, but the clues will send cachers in different directions to final caches furhter away from each other.

I believe there can be exceptions to the proximity guideline but this is usually only OK'd by the reviewer if there is a good reason the 2 caches won't be mistaken for one another, for example they are on opposite sides of a river with no crossing.