Waterfalls

I have found lots of caches near waterfalls, from huge falls like Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe/Zambia to small cascades on a creek in the woods. I like them all. I'll start with a photo of Ithaca Falls. It is 150 feet high 175 feet wide. It's about 2 miles from where I live so I always take out of town visitors to see it. The cool thing about it is that it's basically right in a neighborhood with a little dirt parking area for a few cars, then a very short walk to the base of the falls. A cache that was placed along that walk was a real nemesis for me. I DNF'd it about six times before finally finding it.

Ithaca2003+015.jpg

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Great topic!

Thanks. I should mention that there are apparently over 100 waterfalls over 15 feet high within 10 miles of where live. Here's one this is about 1/3 of a mile from my house. There's a real nice trail that goes through the gorge that passes 19 waterfalls. There used to be a cache about in the middle of the trail. It was placed in 2002 and archived a year or so ago. Apparently there's another one but I haven't gone to find it yet.

new00087.JPG

Not all my waterfall pictures are local. The pic below is just a portion of Victoria Falls from the ZImbabwe side. It's rather difficult get a picture that shows much of it, as it's over a mile wide.

DSC_0303.jpg

We face an ongoing drought, so many of our waterfalls lack water, even in a season where they should have been flowing. I visited my cache at Carson Falls earlier this year, after we had a little rain. It never reached its potential, but I took this iphone photo because there was at least some water:

3971e249-9e06-4c62-be52-337f806ce2e8.jpg

One of my favorite waterfalls in my area is almost unknown. It is up Morse Gulch on land administered by the NPS. A physical cache is not permitted here so I once had an ALR cache that required people to take the half-mile walk on an unmaintained trail to the falls, It was archived after those types of caches were no longer permitted, but I made it into a geocaching challenge . . . until those disappeared. Depending on the time, the path up here is marked by wildfilowers, nettle, and creek crossings, but the falls have a special mystery:

98b2142a-93bf-4f11-a957-1c97bc53a9df.jpg

Still, it is always nice when caching takes me to a waterfall. Like Don't Duc In The Falls:

f3869cec-980c-4ace-b585-cf8d78f50382.jpg

Edited by geodarts

We really enjoyed Gollinger Wasserfall when we were visiting friends in Germany a couple years ago.

25b92351-72eb-4fc0-8a05-fcc08775f3da.jpg

Some of my favorite waterfalls are in Iceland; I'll have to look up the caches we found there when I have more time, but for now I need to get to work!

edit: sigh, I seem to always pick the link button instead of the image button

Edited by hzoi

Here is a shot of Websters Falls in Dundas, Ontario (close to Hamilton). There are over 100 waterfalls in Hamilton.

Within walking distance is Toews Falls. Both of these locations have nearby caches.

The image didn't display correctly. We have over 100 waterfalls within 10 miles of Ithaca. I posted a photo of Ithaca falls in the first post on the thread. Here's another waterfall that's about 9 miles from town. There's a earth cache located here:

taughannock20.jpg

post-896095-045345800 1427055485_thumb.jpg

Hope this tags. Was a thumbnail in original post.

Here is a shot of Websters Falls in Dundas, Ontario (close to Hamilton). There are over 100 waterfalls in Hamilton.

Within walking distance is Toews Falls. Both of these locations have nearby caches.

The image didn't display correctly. We have over 100 waterfalls within 10 miles of Ithaca. I posted a photo of Ithaca falls in the first post on the thread. Here's another waterfall that's about 9 miles from town. There's a earth cache located here:

taughannock20.jpg