GCD Hike Before the Ape Event

GrnXnham

Like last year, we are leading a hike to one of the oldest existing caches, GCD, before driving the short distance over to the Going APE 2014 mega-event on August 17th! To accommodate the timing of WSGA's Ape event, we will start the hike very early in the morning. We'll meet up at 6AM with a hike time of 6:30AM sharp.

Parking and the trail starts here:

GC1GMZN - Mt. Margaret Trail Head - N 47° 21.841 W 121° 21.475

There are more caches in the area but we are hiking as a group to GCD only. If you wish to look for other caches in the area, we will not be doing them as a group as most people will want to get over to the Ape Event.

Please come prepared to walk a minimum of four miles (round-trip) AND a little over 1600 feet of elevation gain. Some items you may want to bring are: sturdy hiking boats, extra water, basic first aid kit, and some trail snacks.

PLEASE be aware that this hike is not meant for everybody! You will be hiking uphill for 1-2 hours straight. Know your limitations!

Also, you will need a NW Forest pass to park at the Mt. Margaret Trail Head. You can buy these passes:

Online:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/r6/passes-permits

Please remember that you need to allow enough time for the pass to be mailed to you.

OR…..

USDA FS-Snoqualmie Pass Visitor Center
I-90, Exit 52 
Snoqualmie Pass, WA 98068
425-434-6111
Pay Station Available - Can purchase up to three NWFP Day Passes with VISA or Master Card.

We hope to see lots of people there. Last year we had about 40 people go on this hike!

c88d5864-20fb-446e-bd75-a99b72e10155.jpg?rnd=0.3061488

GCD Hike 2013

Edited by GrnXnham

Hi there y'all.

Let us introduce ourselves, Remco from The Axe Factor, Brenda from R&B Caching and Jan & Margreet from VanderMmeer.

We are happy to let you know that we also plan be taking part in your hike. As three Geocaching teams, coming from the Netherlands, we expect it to be a great experience getting involved with your caching community. Most of all in a wonderfull area with lots of things to see and discover.

Until then and happy greetings from the Netherlands

I am planning on taking this hike also. What is the forest road like between the interstate exit and the trailhead? I have a Honda Civic with very low clearance, so I am wondering if I might have trouble.

The dirt road is quite good, passable for any car. It's a well-traveled road and popular trailhead.

GrnXnham - do you have a rough ETA on when we'd get back to "base camp"? About 9.30am ish? Just wondering if you remember based on last year?

Since Staci hasn't responded yet, I'll chime in. A lot depends on how fast you hike, but if the group leaves by 7:00, you should be done by 10:00 or so. I recall the hikers getting to the Ape event last year around 11:00. A few earlier (speed demons).

GrnXnham - do you have a rough ETA on when we'd get back to "base camp"? About 9.30am ish? Just wondering if you remember based on last year?

Since Staci hasn't responded yet, I'll chime in. A lot depends on how fast you hike, but if the group leaves by 7:00, you should be done by 10:00 or so. I recall the hikers getting to the Ape event last year around 11:00. A few earlier (speed demons).

Staci will never chime in. It's a forum. :D Our group leaves at 6:30AM not 7AM. Last year most got back by 9:30-10AM. But it all depends on individual speed and how long everyone wants to spend standing around shooting the breeze!

I am planning on taking this hike also. What is the forest road like between the interstate exit and the trailhead? I have a Honda Civic with very low clearance, so I am wondering if I might have trouble.

The dirt road is quite good, passable for any car. It's a well-traveled road and popular trailhead.

We hiked up to GCD a week ago. While the road is passable by any car, right now there are some large pot-holes to be avoided by cars with low clearance. If you drive slowly and avoid the pot-holes, you should be okay.

Staci will never chime in. It's a forum. :D Our group leaves at 6:30AM not 7AM. Last year most got back by 9:30-10AM. But it all depends on individual speed and how long everyone wants to spend standing around shooting the breeze!

I stand corrected. :P I didn't realize you left so promptly at 6:30, I was assuming a bit of waiting on folks before starting the hike. By the time they arrived at Ape, it was after 10:00, tho. Hmm, I guess I should put you down for both shifts of Sasquatch, then. B)

Edited by hydnsek

I'll be there! Visiting from Cheyenne, WY.

This is a first for me, a group hike.

I live at 6200 feet, and have hiked/cached longer distances up to 9600 feet elevation, so I guess I can handle this. It'll be nice to finally have people to walk with. I'm always so paranoid about large animals out there, since I'm usually alone.

:cool: Just remember a simply rule of Hiking with a Group...

Recognize the slowest Hiker... If and when the Large animal does approach, you have no worrys.

Since I just did the Hike [AGAIN] but this time alone and saw no Large animals, no worrys for you. That also included NO SCAT. :laughing:

You and the gang will have a great time with the morning being a cool 52 degrees, still take 2 quart of water.

Good Luck to you all.... :drama:

We (jcar, obarshay and me) were up there yesterday. The trail was hot and dusty, but the road up there is fine--unless you are a fully loaded car transporter who has lost his way. Seriously, the guy was carrying eight cars, and he was up by the Mt Margaret TH parking lot. I bet he's in trouble with his boss!

I was glad to have a trekking pole with me for the way down--in some places, there are lots of little rocks on the trail, making the tread a bit slippery.

You will not see animals larger than a chipmunk with a group, so no worries there. As MtnMutt-ProDuckShins noted, there wasn't even any scat on the trail. (What secret code, Dudley?)

I would suggest carpooling--you need one pass per vehicle, not per person. As the holder of an Old Person's Card, I no longer buy NW Forest Passes or pay admission to National Parks, but I believe there are stores/gas stations on I-90 which open early and sell the day passes. Is there an automat at the pass? It would be nice to give visitors some assurance about the availability of the day passes. Can someone give specific information?

It's a nice hike, and I'd do it again if I weren't working at the event. See you at the event.

PS: BRING BUG STUFF! Flies and mosquitoes were out in full force.

Edited by GrievousAngel

Anyone can tell us what time USDA FS-Snoqualmie Pass Visitor Center
I-90, Exit 52 
425-434-6111
 Pay Station will be opened that early morning??

The USDA FS-Snoqualmie Pass Visitor Center
I-90, Exit 52 
425-434-6111
 Pay Station hours are Thurs. to Sunday from 9:00am until 3:30 pm.

At this late date, here are the options you have to purchase a NW Forest Pass near GCD to make the early morning hike.

Get an epass and print it out from home/motel:

http://www.discovernw.org/store_national-forest-recreation-epass-national-forests-in-washingt

Purchase a pass in North Bend

Mt. Si Cheveron

745 SW Mt. Si Boulevard

North Bend, WA 98045

Open 24 hours

Exit 31

The nearest trail head that you can purchase a day pass.

Alpental Parking Lot. (Exit 52)

N 47° 26.684' W 121° 25.436'

Thx for the reply. We allready managed to purchase a ticket through BIG 5 SPORTS centre/shop. See you next sunday!!

I-90, Exit 52 
425-434-6111

I-90, Exit 52 
425-434-6111

At this late date, here are the options you have to purchase a NW Forest Pass near GCD to make the early morning hike.

http://www.discovernw.org/store_national-forest-recreation-epass-national-forests-in-washingt

Mt. Si Cheveron

745 SW Mt. Si Boulevard

North Bend, WA 98045

Open 24 hours

Exit 31

Edited by vandermmeer

Thx for the reply. We allready managed to purchase a ticket through BIG 5 SPORTS centre/shop. See you next sunday!!

I-90, Exit 52 
425-434-6111

I-90, Exit 52 
425-434-6111

Mt. Si Cheveron

745 SW Mt. Si Boulevard

North Bend, WA 98045

Open 24 hours

Exit 31

Yes, you can buy a Northwest Forest Pass (or a Discover Day Pass for state parks) at any Big 5 or REI store. Of course, you'd need to do that before Sunday morning. ;)

Important travel bulletin: If you're on I-90 approaching exit 54 from the Seattle direction, road construction has the center lane closed. You MUST get in the RIGHT lane when it splits (before exit 52) so that you can get off at exit 54, which takes you to the hike trailhead.

If you don't get in the right lane before the split, you'll be stuck in the left lane (no exits) and take the scenic route around Lake Keechelus until you can get off and make a U-turn at exit 62.

So, save yourself a 16-mile detour and a lot of grumbling - get in the right lane on I-90 approaching the Snoqualmie Pass exits. You've been warned. ;)

Edited by hydnsek

I think the quick stop store at the West Summit sells day passes as well as the gate at the Iron Horse State Park when it is manned. You can also gain a State Park day pass at the state park if you find you need one.

And for anyone camping in Western Washington, the burn ban in camp fire rings has been lifted in most parks. Check with the local authority to be sure.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=69

I think the quick stop store at the West Summit sells day passes as well as the gate at the Iron Horse State Park when it is manned. You can also gain a State Park day pass at the state park if you find you need one.

And for anyone camping in Western Washington, the burn ban in camp fire rings has been lifted in most parks. Check with the local authority to be sure.

http://www.parks.wa.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=69

For the Northwest Forest Pass (GCD parking and Forest Service lot for Ape), there is a ranger office in the commercial area at exit 53, opposite of the street from the hotel and down a bit. Don't think it will be open at 6:00 on Sunday, tho, before the hike.

There's also a kiosk at Hyak parking that sells Discover Day Passes for the state park (altho we are selling them at the event, which is at Hyak).