"Must-do" caches in Michigan?? Need your TB to go west??

TEAM 360

Hello from Arizona to all the Michigan cachers!! I am traveling to Michigan to visit family and friends soon (I started out there) and was wondering if there were any "must-do" caches around the metro area? We are talking Livonia, Farmington, and Novi on the west side and the Chesterfield area on the east side...any suggestions? Also, if any of you want your travel bugs to get some serious mileage and come back to Arizona with me, let me know...

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on May 04, 2003 at 08:11 AM.]

It's a bit west of Novi, but UMC's 1st cache is a good one.

If you have a whole afternoon, try Novi Tree Farm. Tree Farm includes Michigan Trivia, but only 1 question stumped me- I was stuck between 2 answers that both made sense. If you know much about Michigan at all, you should be fine. It's all 'common knowledge' for anyone that lives here. Bringing printouts of Michigan trivia won't help. Though you might want to e-mail the owner, since the 1st leg involves something you will probably have to look up. A swing by one of the local libraries or a quick check online should provide you with the answer, thou.

Kensington Park Disc Golf was interesting, but watch out for those golfers!

For 2 quick (but IMHO better than most park-n-grabs)pickups in Southfield (Telegraph/696 ara, right nextdoor to Farmington) you can do Lunch break and my own Boardwalk Stash. For Lunch break, the park entrance is a bit hard to find and is not listed on maps, so take a look at the aerial photos to find the road to the park if you try for this one.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

Underground Railroad II is one of the longer hikes in the area.

M Cubed Museum is a virtual but well worth visiting.

Creature of the Night is a night cache, about 10 miles north of Farmington Hills.

Rouge Booth is hidden amongst some incredible houses (no private property worries).

If you have a lot of time, and don't mind going a little bit out of the way, there's umc and Victory Mike's SoyBased Biodegradable Pixie Dust to the west, and the Not Tellin' series a little north (NT6 is currently out of service). If you come up for the NTs, be sure to hit Higher Education icon_wink.gif

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

oops.. forgot to mention that the Park Novi Tree Farm is in charges admission to non-Novi residents- during the winter they don't but I'm pretty sure they do once they open the pool- so unless your relatives live in Novi and are tagging along you probably should check with the owner for a hint or have a phone-a-friend with a computer to solve the 1st leg.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

hmmm.. when are you heading over? I'm palnning a sneaky multi in Southfield & Oak Park that I can hopefully get in place before this weekend... One that you can easily hit on 696 from Novi to New Baltimore, or vice versa....

And I bet that most metro Detroiters have driven right past this series of parks and never gave them much thought... icon_wink.gif

Only the last leg will be really sneaky, I'm still debating whether to make the first 2 or 3 virtuals or micros..... leaning towards fairly easy virts since it's in a really open area. It's a mini-cache version of my TB below- so I don't want to make it too hard overall. icon_wink.gif

RandK currently has a TB of mine, Pay It Forward, I contacted them, and it looks like they can drop it off in teh general farmington hills/novi area this weekend. dwgogo wants to see it come their way, so if you find it you can take it back with you. icon_smile.gif

Hi Folks, I'm also headed to MI this weekend. (Troy) I'll probably have about 4hrs to do some caching. I've heard good reveiws about http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCG342

I might have a little extra time on another day or if I get up real early. What time does Stone Creek open/close. (sunrise/sunset??) If I remeber correctly, sunset come pretty late this time of year in MI icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I would really like to get a taste of Mid-West caching flavor, so if anyone has suggestions for cleaver and creative cache hides please share ... or Must do Caches!

Thanks

Pretty much the same ones recommended above. Most in the area are easy city park caches, so you could get a lot.

Of the Not Tellin's, I most recommend Not Tellin' IV.

If you want to do some hiking, come about a half hour north to Lake Orion. See this list. The Knock List is the area's first bonafide urban micro, the next 11 are in Bald Mountain (state park, $5 daily pass), and Orion Oaks or Addison Oaks County Parks (one daily pass covers both, only available at Addison, not sure of the price). With your limited time, don't try the Orion Oaks Not Tellin's.

I haven't tried this year's Bill & Gary yet, but it sounds like it's doable in one very tough day.

And of course, one more plug for my own Higher Education. icon_wink.gif

As for sunset, that depends on whether the sun actually comes out that day. According to my etrex, it's 9:04pm today.

[Edited several times as I had new thoughts]

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

[This message was edited by Dinoprophet on June 05, 2003 at 05:19 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

...The Knock List is the area's first bonafide urban micro, ..

By urban, does he mean the gaint metropolis of Lake Orion? icon_razz.gif

There are a lot more "urban" places than Lake Orion like Detroit that have had micro caches for a while longer. "Back Ally Find" by eklund is one that immediately comes to mind as a real urban micro.

"Adrift in a world he never made!"

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I think of an "urban" cache as anything that's in a downtown area instead of a park, even if it's a small town. I stand corrected in overlooking "Back Alley Find", though.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams