Waypoint App?

I can't help thinking that a Waymarking app of similar use and function to the geocaching app would significantly boost Waymarking popularity.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's thought if it, but with the popularity of mobile devices, it seems like a "no brainer," especially since mobile net access is exceeding desktop access.

Please forgive me if this is an old topic. The mobile forum site has no search function.

So, does anyone have insight?

Try a lower case w ... Forums auto correct.

Or try chilehad.us/wm

chilehad, or chilehead?

I really need to check out this app!

Or try chilehad.us/wm

chilehad, or chilehead?

Do uou mean to tell that CONTROLoes not use Chilehead?

(Shameless plug) chilehead is the next best thing since the handheld GPS!

Or try chilehad.us/wm

chilehad, or chilehead?

That should be:

http://chilehead.us/wm

That's what I get for typing on my phone during a meeting.

Thanks! I only explored the link a little so far, but I appreciate the link. Still, if this is exclusively a mobile website, it just reinforces my point, (or at least, I think it does.)

Because Geocaching has become duch a successful subculture, I can't help thinking that more user friendliness is about all Waymarking needs to grow rapidly.

That's just one opinion, but I'm curious what others might think about that.

Because Geocaching has become duch a successful subculture, I can't help thinking that more user friendliness is about all Waymarking needs to grow rapidly.

I don't think it's a lack of a mobile app or user friendliness that makes Waymarking not very popular. People like their stats, their geocaching.com smile count, and hiding or logging a waymark doesn't do anything for that.

If Waymarking were to +1 your geocaching.com find count, it would likely become more popular.

Waymarking could have been the foursquare check-in site. While foursquare focuses on checkins, mostly to commercial locations, Waymarking offers (potentially) a lot more as there is more to each location than just a spot to check-in.

Good point. I think WM could, maybe even still should take off like wildfire with some added user experience or accessibility.

I mean, I'm a dabbler in the hobby, to be sure, but so pay to support it and when I'm in the mood, it's the funnest thing around.

Waymarking could be bigger...or maybe I'm just a dreamer who arrived too late in this game.

So, is this app official, or semi-official site? I mean, since Chilehead has 100 finds for every one of mine, I can't help wondering.

Forgive my questions, I just don't like logging in or granting permissions to a mobile site without a little due diligence.

Chilehead worked together with Groundspeak to create the app. Chilehead is also a Groundspeak Volunteer and a Geocacher for a long time, so no need to worry. :antenna:

My head is in this at the moment, so I'm gonna go free form until my self diagnosed short attention span gets the better of me.

I can guess at good reasons why Waymarks shouldn't add to the cache count, but It seems sensible that a secondary count that shows in tandem with your cache count on relevant pages would potentially achieve the same purpose. That way every time a cacher looks at his count he'd see a zero Waymark count next to his awesome Geocache count.

No self respecting nerd could resist raising the number up then, especially because it's so easy to do.

Edited by Papa Chanoli

So, is this app official, or semi-official site? I mean, since Chilehead has 100 finds for every one of mine, I can't help wondering.

Forgive my questions, I just don't like logging in or granting permissions to a mobile site without a little due diligence.

It is not official, but I've been given permission from Groundspeak (direct from one of the founders) to do this. I'd like to make it "official" at some point, but that's not on the table right now.

And if it makes a difference, I am one of the moderators for this forum.

Edited by ChileHead