Watersheds

19 hours ago, elyob said:

As with many things in Canada, we are bilingual.  We understand both terms, watershed and/or (drainage) divide.  Many of us learned metric and Imperial measurements.  My height is still feet and inches.  I still buy fruit by the pound.  I put so many litres of fuel in the car and drive so many kilometres on a full tank.  However, I still think of fuel economy as miles per gallon.  It's hot outdoors if it's 30 degrees but I set the indoor thermostat to 68 degrees.  Don't worry about us Canadians.  We're stuck somewhere between the rest of the English-speaking worlds.

I couldn't have said it better, or more accurately have described my own situation!

That deserves at least a couple of :lol: LOLs!!! :lol:

Keith

On 9/29/2017 at 3:38 AM, Tante.Hossi said:

We will add the term 'divide' to help the North American Players to understand the topic of the category.

Just a question after I voted yea on watersheds. Are we Waymarking watersheds or divides? I may have missed something in the translation, but there is a difference between the two.

Look at this EarthCache, now this is a divide. Help me understand what we are Waymarking, I can get some watershed sign photos too.

divide.jpg

Edited by Manville Possum
Add stuff

The category is for signs or monuments at the borders of drainage basins. It does not really matter, if the sign says "this is the Y divide" or "you are entering watershed X"; both signs would be at the divide. (In US terminology).

There are different reasons for such a sign. One is more about the border itself as an interesting or even touristic place. They would more probably use the word divide in the US or watershed in the UK (or various translations of that in other languages, of course).

The other reason more about the basin, not only but also for ecological reasons, because contaminations and other possibly hazardous substances take the same way the water does. These signs would more often say watershed in the US or drainage basin in Europe.

But anyhow, both types of signs could be at the same locations: a divide between drainage basins.

20 minutes ago, Tante.Hossi said:

Yes it looks like you missed something. To repeat it another time: You and all other players from North America have to waymark DIVIDES. All other players from the rest of the world will waymark WATERSHEDS. Different words - same meaning.

Your picture is very tiny. It is hard to read. But I gess it is about a continental divide. So it would qualify into the category. I will be happy to see your submission when the category is online.

I still believe that you are not understanding the difference between the two. A continental divide is a line of elevated terrain, which forms a border between two watersheds. We have 4 divides in the US and thousands of watershed drainages. 

I will not waste my time with this category. I was hoping to submit some watersheds for review but I'm not dealing with a fussy category that may not even be translated correctly for the US.

7 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

I still believe that you are not understanding the difference between the two. A continental divide is a line of elevated terrain, which forms a border between two watersheds. We have 4 divides in the US and thousands of watershed drainages. 

I will not waste my time with this category. I was hoping to submit some watersheds for review but I'm not dealing with a fussy category that may not even be translated correctly for the US.

I do understand, always did. A divide is a border between drainage basins, no matter what level. The top level is the continental divide, but also lower levels of basin borders between rivers that flow into the same ocean, or even into the same lake or river system, are called divides.

And the "elevated terrain" is often true, but not necessarily. Depending on the structure and permeability of the underground material, the borders of a drainage can be different from the terrain on the surface.

1 hour ago, fi67 said:

I do understand, always did. A divide is a border between drainage basins, no matter what level. The top level is the continental divide, but also lower levels of basin borders between rivers that flow into the same ocean, or even into the same lake or river system, are called divides.

But yet you are Waymarking watersheds and calling them just that. It makse no sense. May I have my yea vote back please?:(

2 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

But yet you are Waymarking watersheds and calling them just that. It makse no sense. May I have my yea vote back please?:(

Nobody ever wanted to waymark watersheds. It is Watershed Markers and Monuments. Locations at the borders of watersheds, that someone decided are interesting or important enough to inform the people about them. This is a big difference.

1 hour ago, fi67 said:

Nobody ever wanted to waymark watersheds. It is Watershed Markers and Monuments. Locations at the borders of watersheds, that someone decided are interesting or important enough to inform the people about them. This is a big difference.

We have signs here that read "Entering bla bla watershed" and are common highway signs. I thought that was what we were Waymarking, not divides.

2 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

We have signs here that read "Entering bla bla watershed" and are common highway signs. I thought that was what we were Waymarking, not divides.

I think those will be accepted in the category - they are divides as well, just between watersheds. That was my understanding. I do not expect aquifer recharge zone signs (common around the Edwards Aquifer around Austin/San Antonio) to be accepted, 

1 hour ago, Manville Possum said:

Okay, I had a sign local in mind and it's not there now due to bridge construction but I found the ones I was thinking about that I see in Virginia and Tennessee.

Here are examples of Watersheds marker signs as I understood them. The green ones with the word watershed on them. They must be placed by the State.

Yes, those signs are what we are Waymarking.