Cross Platform Geocache Apps?

I'd like to introduce a group of people to geocaching at an upcoming event I'm hosting. I currently use the paid GC app on my iphone but I do have a dedicated GPS unit as well. I'm sure the people will have various devices so I'm looking for reviews and tips on apps and how to get started.

What free apps would be suitable to get people started? Can people search for caches within these apps?

The place I'm hosting my event has about 8 traditional caches. Is it a good idea to just print out the coordinates of all 8 caches and give everyone all the coordinates? We would all be searching in one group but I'd like everyone to follow along as we go from cache to cache.

I'd like to introduce a group of people to geocaching at an upcoming event I'm hosting. I currently use the paid GC app on my iphone but I do have a dedicated GPS unit as well. I'm sure the people will have various devices so I'm looking for reviews and tips on apps and how to get started.

What free apps would be suitable to get people started? Can people search for caches within these apps?

The place I'm hosting my event has about 8 traditional caches. Is it a good idea to just print out the coordinates of all 8 caches and give everyone all the coordinates? We would all be searching in one group but I'd like everyone to follow along as we go from cache to cache.

Are the caches yours?

If not, do you have permission from the cache owner?

May be easier to hide some temporary caches of your own (you can provide printouts with coordinates)which means they can be closer together.

(Cache owners may not be happy with a group of muggles/new cachers finding their caches...)

(Cache owners may not be happy with a group of muggles/new cachers finding their caches...)

As long as there are traditionals, CO needs to swallow this 'unhappines' with plain face. Are some caches restricted 'not for beginners'?

Are the caches yours?

May be easier to hide some temporary caches of your own (you can provide printouts with coordinates)which means they can be closer together.

So as a new cacher I now need permission from CO's before I am able to find their caches?

To me this seems counter productive if the goal is to get new people into the game. I understand that there are concerns that they will trash the cache or whatever but I kind of assume the OP will be keeping an eye on things and teaching the group what is/is not acceptable.

Are the caches yours?

So as a new cacher I now need permission from CO's before I am able to find their caches?

To me this seems counter productive if the goal is to get new people into the game. I understand that there are concerns that they will trash the cache or whatever but I kind of assume the OP will be keeping an eye on things and teaching the group what is/is not acceptable.

No problem with new cachers looking for caches...

Using someone elses caches for an event, without permission?

And, the suggestion to set up some temporary caches, allows you to keep a better eye on things, and allows you to demonstrate different kinds/types of caches and cache hides, in a smaller area.

Those that are still interested could then go and find, and log, the local caches.

I have taught several classes in a local park where I take the students to about 10 caches of various types to give them a wide experience. I never asked permission and really don't think you need permission. The caches are there for all cachers to find and since I consider my students cachers while they are with me no problem. You are not taking muggles as mentioned you are taking apprentices to show them the way.

I have heard the hue and cry from the dark about this before and think you should disregard it and go for it.

COs do not have the authority to decide who does or doesn't go for their caches. They are there for everybody and besides isn't introducing new people to this hobby a good thing.

Edited by Walts Hunting

I've seen two kinds of geocaching class work well.

The short classes last about an hour. Depending on the age of the participants, the initial in-class or chalk-talk segment lasts about half an hour to 40 minutes. During this segment, it's good to have actual examples of cache containers, trackables, trade items, GPS receivers, etc. that you can pass around. The rest of the class is taken up by a demonstration using temporary containers hidden just for the event. There really isn't time to teach GPS use or geocaching app use.

The long classes last a few hours. They start with a similar chalk-talk section, but then small groups of participants are paired up with experienced volunteers. Each group receives a loaner GPS receiver, and all the loaner GPS receivers are preprogrammed with the data for several local caches. The groups spend a few hours finding actual geocaches, using an actual GPS receiver, with an experienced geocacher to supervise and assist them. There really isn't time to teach more than the basics of operating a GPS receiver: list nearest caches, select, go, view description, that sort of thing.

I definitely wouldn't hand out coordinates and leave it up to each individual to (correctly) enter the coordinates into whatever app they happen to have. When I've tried that for puzzle hunts, about half the groups used something that directed them to the nearest street address, instead of to the actual coordinates.

If you're all staying in one group, then have a GPS receiver or two preprogrammed, and/or a phone with an app that is preprogrammed. Let people take turns holding the devices as the group moves from cache to cache. But don't expect them to programm coordinates into a device or an app at first.

I've seen two kinds of geocaching class work well.

The short classes last about an hour. [...]

The long classes last a few hours.

[...]

I definitely wouldn't hand out coordinates and leave it up to each individual to (correctly) enter the coordinates into whatever app they happen to have.

Oh my ...

I'm really sorry - does geocaching needs to be teached ??

Is this really so complicated?

Do you seriously think that average person is unable to enter 2 coordinates into 2 input boxes?

Do you say that average person is so limited in thinking that cannot follow 'the arrow' and observe distance at same time?

As far as I remember, we never had 'geocaching lesson' in our area, and we have a hundreds of enthusiasts, each self-learned.

Wait a minute!

You only have only 8 finds, none of which have much of a log.

You have 2 hides and your first one is just a zip lock bag?

What are you planning to teach?

I'll probably start off by teaching them to stay away from people such as yourself. You know, the kind who criticize without having all the facts and whatnot. Perhaps I had a joint account with a significant other who is no longer a part of my life and I wanted to start a fresh account.

Wait a minute!

Based on the 17 or so total words used to log the 8 finds, I hope someone else teaches the bit about 'how to log your find'. :ph34r:

Wait a minute!

Based on the 17 or so total words used to log the 8 finds, I hope someone else teaches the bit about 'how to log your find'. :ph34r:

Rather than pile-on the OP for their lack of experience, I thought I'd mention that the OP talks about hosting an event, and goes on to talk about organizing a group find on a bunch of caches. If the OP wants that event listed on the site, it will have be listed such that it's not an event for the purpose of finding caches. Geocaching events are supposed to be about geocaching, not for geocaching.

Wait a minute!You only have only 8 finds, none of which have much of a log.You have 2 hides and your first one is just a zip lock bag?What are you planning to teach?

You guys kill me. Sometimes I don't have the time to write a thesis about finding a cache. If I did that every time I found a cache then I would find less caches and spend less time outdoors. (Judging by my cache count you can't criticize me by saying I'm in it for the numbers either.) There are times I'd rather enjoy my hike and the views than write a detailed description about finding a cache laying next to a tree stump 5' off the trail. I cache for the excitement, but I also cache for the exercise. The next cache a mile away keeps me motivated to walk more.

Of course, if I had the time to visit some other person's cache profile and read every log they've made and then comment about the short log descriptions than surely I'd have enough time to write a detailed log for every cache I found. Also, if I had the time to do all that then I'd also have the time to answer the the original question that was posed in this thread which you failed to do.

Wait a minute!

17 words for the first 8 finds is absolutely universal these days. Don't worry, NYPC, I'm not piling on. :P

No one has mentioned the apps yet? There is a free beginners app for both iphone and Android, but it only allows people to see caches designated as "beginner caches". I'm not into smartphone apps too much, but are there any totally free ones that are totally OK to talk about here? The major one for Android is unauthorized, and I or any one else who even mentions it's name will get their wrist slapped.

Is there even a single totally free Geocaching app for iphone? I could be wrong, but I don't think their is.

Is there even a single totally free Geocaching app for iphone? I could be wrong, but I don't think their is.

Geobucket and Looking4Cache have free versions on the iphone. Those who are not premium members can download the full details for three caches a day, or receive basic information for others. Therefore, if people are going to be using one of those, it might be best to have printed out a description or to ensure that it is available.

Edited by geodarts

My comment was not so much on your logs but the quality of your cache container. A zip lock BAG is not an appropriate container in my opinion.

I went to your profile page before commenting so I would have an idea where you are coming from. Most people that branch off from a joint account log the caches from that joint account into the individual one.

I realize you may not have all your caches logged, I did not log a couple years worth, it happens.

Again, I'm questioning what you will be teaching because of your experience that is documented on your page.

Geobucket and Looking4Cache have free versions on the iphone. Those who are not premium members can download the full details for three caches a day, or receive basic information for others. Therefore, if people are going to be using one of those, it might be best to have printed out a description or to ensure that it is available.

Interesting, thanks. I feel comfortable mentioning the little known and little used Android App Columbus, which has a fully functional (best I can tell) free version, although you will see ads. Probably unauthorized, but no one uses it anyways. :lol: Despite this, I don't think it's all that bad.

And of course there's a very well known and highly touted forever free app for Android, but I ain't touching that one. In the unlikely event any of the OP's "students" are amongst the 3% of American Smartphone users that use WindowsPhone, there's a couple free ones for that.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

My comment was not so much on your logs but the quality of your cache container. A zip lock BAG is not an appropriate container in my opinion. I went to your profile page before commenting so I would have an idea where you are coming from. Most people that branch off from a joint account log the caches from that joint account into the individual one.I realize you may not have all your caches logged, I did not log a couple years worth, it happens.Again, I'm questioning what you will be teaching because of your experience that is documented on your page.

I can understand your concern about the ziploc bag, but while this cache is located outside, it is well protected from the elements. The sun, rain, snow and wind will have little to no impact on it due to it's location. Nothing short of a hurricane or tornado could affect it. The chance of a non cacher finding it is virtually non existent.

In closing, I also inspect this cache 6 days a week so if it ever DOES go missing, chances are that I'll find out before someone else.

Main thing you can teach possible newcomers is not to divulge the location of the caches you seek to all and sundry, show photos of good and bad containers, and explain that geocachers leave no trace. You may want to get a small group together (6 or so) and then do lunch/dinner.

Perhaps the best thing you can do is read the sections on "Hiding/Finding a Cache" on the main site. That'll give you some facts you can pass along.

I'm really sorry - does geocaching needs to be teached ??
I don't think it needs to be taught, but the OP is planning a geocaching class, I was taught geocaching by a friend when I started, and I've taught dozens of others about geocaching over the years. Teaching geocaching can be useful for many people.

Do you seriously think that average person is unable to enter 2 coordinates into 2 input boxes?

Do you say that average person is so limited in thinking that cannot follow 'the arrow' and observe distance at same time?

Following the arrow is easy. That's why the longer classes I've helped teach have provided preprogrammed GPS receivers, so people could follow the arrow.

The rest of it? Well, entering the coordinates correctly can be a challenge. After all, not everyone will realize that these coordinates are all different locations:

N 37.25502° W 122.06434°

N 37° 25.502' W 122° 06.434'

N 37° 25' 50.2" W 122° 06' 43.4"

And plenty of people follow the arrow to the nearest street address, rather than to the actual coordinates.

And then there are "basic" things like Travel Bugs, geocoins, opening and closing ammo cans, replacing the container where you found it, replacing the container as you found it, trading fairly, and not spoiling the hide for others that I've seen newbies struggle with.

Hmm... maybe it does need to be taught.

Hmm... maybe it does need to be taught.

I went around with a group of newbies at a Geocaching 101 event last summer. One of the members of our group had only just purchased a new Etrex and had no idea how to work it. I hadn't used one before either, so we struggled to learn how to use it together. Keep in mind that many new cachers may have purchased a new GPSr and aren't familiar with it yet, or already had one and used it in different ways than we do when caching. It isn't as simple as "entering 2 coordinates into 2 input boxes" when you don't even know how to get to those input boxes. Having the opportunity to get assistance from an experienced cacher can flatten out the learning curve considerably.

I'd be totally in favour of having formal geocaching training. It would help prevent a lot of the problems we see all the time, like the "basics" listed by niraD. I know that won't happen, but we can always dream...