World's Largest GeoArt?

well, sheesh, people's non-traditional percentage is going to sky rocket in the area. More than 1000 puzzles. That is over half as many as I have done in my 6+ years. Looking at the area on Google Maps, makes it look that a good many of them will be close to roads so hopefully folks won't be destroying too much desert with this one. Nice looking art. I prefer puzzle art so folks can choose decent hiding spots vs forcing a spot where a cache probably does not belong.

well, sheesh, people's non-traditional percentage is going to sky rocket in the area. More than 1000 puzzles. That is over half as many as I have done in my 6+ years. Looking at the area on Google Maps, makes it look that a good many of them will be close to roads so hopefully folks won't be destroying too much desert with this one. Nice looking art. I prefer puzzle art so folks can choose decent hiding spots vs forcing a spot where a cache probably does not belong.

Indeed, the stats are going to have a shift after this one... Luckily every final is placed on a public, county road. Gotta keep the lands looking good! I like puzzle art too, thanks for checking it out!

I think the geoart is really cool. I don't live in the area so I won't be able to ever really get them all. If I were ever to visit then I think my goal would be the flag then whatever else I can grab.

That's awesome that you guys set this up. Hopefully after someone gets all of them they will post a screenshot of their smilies, I would love to see what that looks like as well, bet it's awesome.

Edited by Kanellar

Indeed, the stats are going to have a shift after this one... Luckily every final is placed on a public, county road. Gotta keep the lands looking good! I like puzzle art too, thanks for checking it out!

Humm, public roads or oilfield access roads?

I think it's a very cool project, nice looking on the maps, and hope to be able to make a trip there to find it someday.

But I have decided that projects like this that use multiple weak puzzles just to put a bunch of ?'s on the map in an ordered fashion should be labeled geo-graffiti. Real geo-art involves caches that are actually at the posted coords, or have some physical container there. That takes real skillz.

The art looks cool, impressive, but you're asking other cachers not to place caches inside the art but it takes up 3,600 square miles when it could have probably been done in 25 square miles, is there a reason it needs to take up so much space?

The art looks cool, impressive, but you're asking other cachers not to place caches inside the art but it takes up 3,600 square miles when it could have probably been done in 25 square miles, is there a reason it needs to take up so much space?

Thanks for checking it out. 3600 sq miles that have basically been untouched in 14 years... besides, we can't stop people from doing so, just a request. And the reason, why not? It's awesome! :)

Thanks for checking it out. 3600 sq miles that have basically been untouched in 14 years... besides, we can't stop people from doing so, just a request. And the reason, why not? It's awesome! :)

I guess that's as good a reason as any but now that you've drawn attention to the area everyone might want to stick a cache there. Regardless, very cool, I cached the jet in Idaho and part of the train so I can appreciate the work that went into your art and glad there are people/groups that are putting in the effort to create very cool caching experiences.

Although I passed through Colorado a few months ago and I should be in Utah next month to get Potter's Pond this geoart is just far enough away that I may not get there but just barely close enough to temp me to go.

I did not notice any Letterbox and Wherigos, am I missing something.

Edited by Roman!

Does GS got a guideline about "messing" with geoarts with new cache placements?

The art looks cool. I can't help but think that if I lived in the area, I'd be compelled to place a traditional off-center in one of the triangles for spite.

You could put trade over the ?s as there is no container at the locations, or events, have one a day for 3 years. :laughing:

The art looks cool. I can't help but think that if I lived in the area, I'd be compelled to place a traditional off-center in one of the triangles for spite.

You could put trade over the ?s as there is no container at the locations, or events, have one a day for 3 years. :laughing:

Trade up or even. :laughing:

Trade up or even. :laughing:

I typed trads, dumb autocorrect.

Am I the only one here who see irony in this request when another new thread has a similar issue from the other side of the coin? :unsure:

Good luck. Since they're mostly unknown caches you're going to have to solve about 1000 puzzles to avoid proximity issues. mad.gif

You guys are funny. Roman!, I still need to get Potter's Pond. The jet and train are definitely on my bucket list too. There are 2 Wherigo, 16 Letterbox and 34 Traditional. Check the mountains of the art, I'm not on laptop to tell you exactly where.

Good luck. Since they're mostly unknown caches you're going to have to solve about 1000 puzzles to avoid proximity issues. mad.gif

I'm still trying to figure out is key and key phrase are the same thing... I want to solve them, or solve some of them and work in a group for the rest (since the intent doesn't seem to be to make the puzzle the interesting part of the experience).

I'm still trying to figure out is key and key phrase are the same thing... I want to solve them, or solve some of them and work in a group for the rest (since the intent doesn't seem to be to make the puzzle the interesting part of the experience).

I think so but if you email the OP he'll send you a spreadsheet where it sounds like most the work is done for you.

That's a rather ironic statement to make, given your recent post about others building a power trail that leads to one of your caches.

That's a rather ironic statement to make, given your recent post about others building a power trail that leads to one of your caches.

The one lead to thoughts of the other. :) The first post was a joke

Am I the only one here who see irony in this request when another new thread has a similar issue from the other side of the coin? :unsure:

The one lead to thoughts of the other. :) The first post was a joke

So I guess I wasn't the only one to see some irony here after all? :huh:

For those who think this doesn't count... I await new html from you for all the puzzles so they aren't "weak" in your eyes, or for you to make one bigger consisting of your imaginary rules... #haters

How about addressing the criticism rather than just dismissing it by alleging that people "hate" the idea?

Is the purpose of the GeoArt to provide geocaches that people will enjoy finding to win some imaginary contest or to see who can create the world largest geoart?

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
  • Love 1

Classic, criticizing the criticizing of the criticizing ;)

"Not true geoart", "weak puzzles", geo graffiti". Okay, hate was a strong word lol. But seriously, come up with a solution instead. This was a huge project, finding Colorado trivia, creating the logo, placing, finding public places to place finals, etc... it is still being fine-tuned and I know not everyone will like it, but to just knock it is stupid and typical of forums, which is why I normally never come here...

The purpose is to be fun, we put the Colorado logo on the Colorado map. "Tattooed" the state with our logo, enjoy, or not.

"Not true geoart", "weak puzzles", geo graffiti". Okay, hate was a strong word lol. But seriously, come up with a solution instead. This was a huge project, finding Colorado trivia, creating the logo, placing, finding public places to place finals, etc... it is still being fine-tuned and I know not everyone will like it, but to just knock it is stupid and typical of forums, which is why I normally never come here...

I understand why you don't want your idea criticised, but you identify yourself that you understand that not everyone will like it.

If you post your idea on a public forum with the comment "Thoughts???" it's not unreasonable to suspect that some people will respond in a more negative way than you might like them to. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "...to just knock it is stupid..." - if you mean to criticise it without some rationale then fair play, but if you're happy to receive criticism that has any kind of rationale to it then I don't really think you're being fair.

Fwiw.

• Upvote 1

"PLEASE refrain from placing caches within the artwork."???????

I think the idea of GeoArt is silly, but like every other part of this game, there's a little something for everyone. However, in this case taking up an area 60X60 miles, then not wanting anyone else to hide a cache in that area, sounds a little selfish.

While I wouldn't hide a cache in the area just to spite, if I lived around there and found a spot I thought needed a cache, I wouldn't hesitate to set one. <_< <_<

• Upvote 1

I understand why you don't want your idea criticised, but you identify yourself that you understand that not everyone will like it.

If you post your idea on a public forum with the comment "Thoughts???" it's not unreasonable to suspect that some people will respond in a more negative way than you might like them to. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "...to just knock it is stupid..." - if you mean to criticise it without some rationale then fair play, but if you're happy to receive criticism that has any kind of rationale to it then I don't really think you're being fair.

Fwiw.

Touche, I am very impressed the amount of micros hasn't been scrutinized. Ducks awaiting for that to start. Lol.

"PLEASE refrain from placing caches within the artwork."???????

I think the idea of GeoArt is silly, but like every other part of this game, there's a little something for everyone. However, in this case taking up an area 60X60 miles, then not wanting anyone else to hide a cache in that area, sounds a little selfish.

While I wouldn't hide a cache in the area just to spite, if I lived around there and found a spot I thought needed a cache, I wouldn't hesitate to set one. <_< <_<

Like I said earlier, just a request that cannot be enforced. Hopefully no spiteful cachers but if it happens, it happens. Can still view the art via PQ or BM. That said, it has been a mostly empty area for 14 years, I think we're pretty safe. Let the jinx begin.

The purpose is to be fun, we put the Colorado logo on the Colorado map. "Tattooed" the state with our logo, enjoy, or not.

So, I shouldn't bother to start solving them till later? Will you be indicating which ones have been updated clearly?

I'd started doing 5 of them a day, since it'll take me ages to get up to Denver anyway.

I am still hoping to get information from you about if they are on oil field roads or county roads and if you know the miles driven and where gas/food is along the way.

As far as forums go this one is pretty tame, sorry you've had a bad experience with us.

I admit I was expecting more color in it from your description, what it really looks like is a blue shape with color accents.

"So, I shouldn't bother to start solving them till later? Will you be indicating which ones have been updated clearly?

I'd started doing 5 of them a day, since it'll take me ages to get up to Denver anyway."

- Sorry I should have clarified fine-tuning, I just mean adding hints to ones that don't have one, fixing the container size if mislabeled & spelling or formatting issues. Everything will solve as is, and if any coords change due to an error we will be sure to post it on the individual cache page and on #0001. Two cachers have posted on #0001 easier ways to solve them if you hadn't seen that yet.

"I am still hoping to get information from you about if they are on oil field roads or county roads and if you know the miles driven and where gas/food is along the way."

- Not sure what an oil field road is, they are all on County Roads. Most of them are nice dirt roads, some paved, and some a little rougher but okay for 2WD. We are working on a separate site with hotel/gas/food information since we cannot post commercial sites on the page. Mondou2 would be a good resource until we get that going as he has done most, if not all by now. I tried doing a GSAK macro for total distance and it kept freezing on me, I will ask the group if they know.

"As far as forums go this one is pretty tame, sorry you've had a bad experience with us."

- It's okay, I am just being over-protective of our baby that took months to make lol.

"I admit I was expecting more color in it from your description, what it really looks like is a blue shape with color accents."
- We were lucky to get the Trads to line up perfectly with roads, and a few of the Mystery caches just squeezed into the two mile rule. More color would be cool though.
But seriously, come up with a solution instead.

Archive button?

No need to be mean.

He's not being "mean," he and others are expressing contrary opinions.

If you're going to start a discussion about GeoArt, you need to be tolerant of posts from people who are opposed to GeoArt. Otherwise you need a bulletin board rather than a forum.

One solution to weak puzzles used in GeoArt is to ban all GeoArt. Another is to subject the puzzles to some sort of "puzzle quality" standard -- the reviewers wouldn't like the subjectivity. A third solution is to allow GeoArt but require that the containers must be at the posted coordinates. Then you have the issue of caches being placed in locations because they fit into the art picture rather than because they're good places to hide a cache. Some people want that type of GeoArt banned, too. Find the discussions about the Alien Head in Nevada and the impact on the land made by people driving offroad instead of walking to the caches. Find the discussions about an Arizona land manager's blanket ban on geocaches, which some say was influenced by the proliferating GeoArt.

Its a proxy geoart because most of them are unknown caches.

A real geoart is where most of the caches are right at the given point/location of the art itself. You geoart is anywhere in the area, but not at the given point of the art pieces itself. So its not a real geoart.

While I can appreciate the tedium effort involved in placing the design on the map, I see it being more about 'Hey look at what we COs have done' instead of "Here is a cool place to visit" or "Here is a nice hike through interesting landscape".

Can a bookmark list be easily imported into an Ignore List, or will one need to click the 'Ignore' link on each cache page? I don't like 'tattoos' on my map.

• Upvote 1

If I place 4 caches in a perfect square, with each corner 100 miles from each other, would that become the world's largest geoart?

Two would do it, A perfectly drawn straight line is a work of art to some folks. :laughing:

...which some say was influenced by the proliferating GeoArt.

It's like everything else in caching -- once someone does it, someone else has to do it too. And, of course, it has to be bigger than the last guy as well.

I'm not saying there wasn't a ton of effort that went into it, but I don't see the point. I'd much rather see fewer caches placed in interesting locations rather than a whole whack of caches placed just for purposes of making a design on a map.

Don't hold it against me. I'm into caching to be taken to interesting locations rather than numbers.

• Upvote 1

While I can appreciate the tedium effort involved in placing the design on the map, I see it being more about 'Hey look at what we COs have done' instead of "Here is a cool place to visit" or "Here is a nice hike through interesting landscape".

Can a bookmark list be easily imported into an Ignore List, or will one need to click the 'Ignore' link on each cache page? I don't like 'tattoos' on my map.

The answer to questions like this is GSAK.