Do we need a new category

It seems that the group leader of South Carolina Historical Markers has decided (after a six month absence) to return to the group and reject NATIONAL PARK SERVICE markers posted in this group. (Over 15) He states that they are not OFFICIAL South Carolina Historical Markers.

He has gone so far as to edit the group description with out consulting the other members of the group:

Description: Seek out OFFICIAL South Carolina Historical Markers. Record the coordinates, text, and a picture of the marker.

MUST BE A SC HISTORICAL MARKER CAST OF METAL WITH COUNTY AND MARKER NUMBERS (OLDER MARKERS MAY NOT HAVE NUMBERS)

So here is my question: Should a category exist for National Park Service Markers?

I know that most other state marker categories allow such markers.

ffb520f1-f225-4e81-9654-675d84704272.JPG

What about the 'signs of history' category?

-lumbricus

That is exactly the correct category for situations like this. There are several state historical marker categories that only accept official markers thus this not a unique situation at all. In those state the "Signs of History" category is the correct place to post these markers.

Well, thanks again, BruceS.

It's too bad that folks have to look in 2 different categories for some states' historical markers, and I'm glad Missouri isn't one of 'em. But at least this allowed me to get in some important South Carolina history into Waymarking.

And even though it's not about the numbers, it did get me up over 600.

I'm glad Missouri isn't one of 'em. But at least this allowed me to get in some important South Carolina history into Waymarking.

Yes we are a bit spoiled here but if the Missouri category only accepted official ones it would be a very small category as we have relatively few official state markers... they are huge but relatively rare.

SO:

Now that South Carolina has joined the ranks of non-picayune states that are proud of the various historical markers, not just the "gummint placed/approved" ones. I guess I need to move my waymarks back from Signs of History to SCHM. I don't want to clutter up SoH with waymarks that rightfully belong in SCHM.

Just wanna hear it from other SCHM waymarkers before I go through all that trouble.

I'm not worried about the work involved. That's the nature of Waymarking!!!

And to think, all of that happened because we visited my sister-in-law in SC and decided to drive the extra 3 hours to get to Fort Sumter. Wow. What a trip. (I mean afterward...)

I know that this is a lot of work to ask for, but ...

Would someone from Signs of History please go into all of my Waymarks and Decline them?

Now that they are allowed in the South Carolina Historical Markers, I would like to just move them back over, rather than having to create all new waymarks. But I cannot do that by just using Edit Waymark. I need to have them declined first.

And I thank you folks in the Signs of History for providing a refuge for my waymarks whilst the other civil war battle was going on, to allow SC historical markers into the SC Historical Markers category.

Thank you in advance!

Oh. And to make it a bit easier, here are the links (which is worth my time to copy/paste for you):

Battery Huger

Blockade Runners

Flags of the Fort

Fort Moultrie

Fort Sumter 1861-1865

Fort Sumter Bombarded

Fort Sumter Today

H L Hunley

Holding the Fort

Ironclads Attack

Morris Island

Night Attack

Star of the West

Swamp Angel

I know that this is a lot of work to ask for, but ...

Would someone from Signs of History please go into all of my Waymarks and Decline them?

Now that they are allowed in the South Carolina Historical Markers, I would like to just move them back over, rather than having to create all new waymarks. But I cannot do that by just using Edit Waymark. I need to have them declined first.

And I thank you folks in the Signs of History for providing a refuge for my waymarks whilst the other civil war battle was going on, to allow SC historical markers into the SC Historical Markers category.

Thank you in advance!

Oh. And to make it a bit easier, here are the links (which is worth my time to copy/paste for you):

Battery Huger

Blockade Runners

Flags of the Fort

Fort Moultrie

Fort Sumter 1861-1865

Fort Sumter Bombarded

Fort Sumter Today

H L Hunley

Holding the Fort

Ironclads Attack

Morris Island

Night Attack

Star of the West

Swamp Angel

Why not just leave them where they are and submit them to the signs of history category too? Someone that loves numbers will thank you. :laughing:

I ran into the same issue with one of my waymarks that I wanted to delete after it published. B)

They are already in the Signs of History. That's why I was asking that they be declined in that category.

(Please re-read my post...) :unsure:

You're probably not familiar with Signs of History, but markers should only be waymarked in there if they cannot be waymarked elsewhere. Therefore, it would not be right to leave my waymarks in Signs of History now that they can go into the South Carolina Historical Markers. Thus the request to have them declined. They no longer meet the requirements of Signs of History.

Actually, it sounds like I'm repeating myself. 'Cause I am.

They are already in the Signs of History. That's why I was asking that they be declined in that category.

(Please re-read my post...) :unsure:

You're probably not familiar with Signs of History, but markers should only be waymarked in there if they cannot be waymarked elsewhere. Therefore, it would not be right to leave my waymarks in Signs of History now that they can go into the South Carolina Historical Markers. Thus the request to have them declined. They no longer meet the requirements of Signs of History.

Actually, it sounds like I'm repeating myself. 'Cause I am.

OK, I read the OP, and well.... somewhere through this thread I got confused. :unsure: I'm not fimiliar with the signs of history category, but it does seem intersting. I may have some waymarks to add to the category. B)

SO:

Now that South Carolina has joined the ranks of non-picayune states that are proud of the various historical markers, not just the "gummint placed/approved" ones. I guess I need to move my waymarks back from Signs of History to SCHM. I don't want to clutter up SoH with waymarks that rightfully belong in SCHM.

Just wanna hear it from other SCHM waymarkers before I go through all that trouble.

I'm not worried about the work involved. That's the nature of Waymarking!!!

And to think, all of that happened because we visited my sister-in-law in SC and decided to drive the extra 3 hours to get to Fort Sumter. Wow. What a trip. (I mean afterward...)

At least you didn't drive all the way from KANSAS like I did to visit Fort Sumter only to have the DERN Fort shut down because of the Government. Of course, the first time I tried to go to Sumter was in 83 and the city was hit bu Hugo! :lol::unsure:<_<:blink: I'm not BITTER or anything! LOL At least I got to see it from the boat!

Hmmm. Perhaps the spirit of 1861 still lives on there. I came from Missouri and was able to get in. You came from Kansas and were not. Hmmm.

(They didn't know that I lived most of my life in Illinois...)

Don't make me hafta get my Jayhawker on! LOL! I did have a great time in Charleston, otherwise. Shrimp and grits are awesome!