Jersey, Channel Islands

First, please forgive me if the answer to this question is blindingly obvious. I am reatively new to smartphones, and have never been caching in Jersey (although have visited the island many times).

I have a Windows phone with the Geocaching Live app and Mr BK has an iphone with the Geocaching Live app. Whilst these both work admirably well in our home area (suburban London), we have had limited success using them in more remote areas (eg North Yorkshire and Cornwall countryside). We will be holidaying in Jersey later in the summer and wonder whether GC Live on these phones will work there.

Other potentially stupid questions are:

Will this depend on our networks? (I am on O2, Mr BK on Vodafone)

If so, if we buy Jersey SIM cards when we arrive, will GC Live still work?

Any other tips for caching in Jersey would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Jenny

BikerKats

First, please forgive me if the answer to this question is blindingly obvious. I am reatively new to smartphones, and have never been caching in Jersey (although have visited the island many times).

I have a Windows phone with the Geocaching Live app and Mr BK has an iphone with the Geocaching Live app. Whilst these both work admirably well in our home area (suburban London), we have had limited success using them in more remote areas (eg North Yorkshire and Cornwall countryside). We will be holidaying in Jersey later in the summer and wonder whether GC Live on these phones will work there.

Many thanks

Jenny

BikerKats

As you say Charges. Does your provider class it as UK.

And, there may be a possibility your phone might pick up on the French network...

As you are a Premium Member, you could make and run a PQ to cover the area...

Download before you leave, or use wifi once there to download.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Many thanks

Jenny

BikerKats

As you say Charges. Does your provider class it as UK.

And, there may be a possibility your phone might pick up on the French network...

As you are a Premium Member, you could make and run a PQ to cover the area...

Download before you leave, or use wifi once there to download.

Thanks for your reply - I will run a PQ and download it to our GPSr before we go. I do like the view on the GC Live on my smartphone, and that I can look at the phone for caches if I have gone out not fully prepared for caching.

That is a good point about picking up the French network - this happened to me on a previous visit when I had a simple phone. I am almost certain Jersey is not regarded as UK by O2 (I think I used Jersey Telecom for calls when I was there before). I will also find out from O2 what they suggest - I won't need to be contactable at all times when away but would like to use my phone for caching while there (and don't want to find I get random calls when I have the phone on only because I am caching).

It would be useful to hear from someone who has tried caching in Jersey with the GC Live app, and hear how it worked for them.

Vodafone does not class Jersey as the UK!! When we spoke to Vodafone they were not that helpful and just told us European Data roaming charges apply. So am afraid I can't tell you how well the app works.

We had a fab time caching though, we had a caching frenzy so we could get our 1000 cache whilst we were there. Lots of caches at all the tourist attractions and we did some nice circuits which got us out into the Jersey countryside that we wouldn't of otherwise seen.

Hope you have a great time.

Vodafone does not class Jersey as the UK!! When we spoke to Vodafone they were not that helpful and just told us European Data roaming charges apply. So am afraid I can't tell you how well the app works.

We had a fab time caching though, we had a caching frenzy so we could get our 1000 cache whilst we were there. Lots of caches at all the tourist attractions and we did some nice circuits which got us out into the Jersey countryside that we wouldn't of otherwise seen.

Hope you have a great time.

Thanks - I'm sure we will. I'll look at your logs tomorrow.

Perhaps someone from Jersey will reply...

We went in October half term last year. Unfortunately the weather was horrendous, we wanted to do one of the Earth caches as our 1000 but the weather was just too bad, hence it ended up as 1001 when we were on our way back to the airport!

I'm going next weekend for a week (unfortunately returning the day before SP's event :( ) I'm intending to do a PQ for the island before setting off, and stick that in my GPS and I expect that to be sufficient, but I'll also be using the hotel wi-fi with my Nexus to keep up to date and to log finds. If necessary I'll be using GC Live with CacheSense on my Blackberry, I would expect it to "just work" as it has for me in Menorca and Corfu. Interesting to hear that some (all?) service providers consider Jersey as being abroad, but it doesn't bother me as work pay the phone bill :)

I'm going next weekend for a week (unfortunately returning the day before SP's event :( ) I'm intending to do a PQ for the island before setting off, and stick that in my GPS and I expect that to be sufficient, but I'll also be using the hotel wi-fi with my Nexus to keep up to date and to log finds. If necessary I'll be using GC Live with CacheSense on my Blackberry, I would expect it to "just work" as it has for me in Menorca and Corfu. Interesting to hear that some (all?) service providers consider Jersey as being abroad, but it doesn't bother me as work pay the phone bill :)

Can you provide an up-date on this after you get back?

Have a good trip!

So on approaching Jersey (by sea) both mine and the missus' phone reported they had found a new network, and we got a notice from our providers warning to be aware of roaming data charges.

I had a look and found 3 network providers, one is Jersey Telecom, one seemed to be a French network, and the other Cable & Wireless so not sure if this is Jersey based of French.

Anyway I think someone at my work place has been bu**ering about with the phone contracts as I got a very good signal on all three networks but could only make emergency calls so I'm guessing they terminated the international roaming for me, the missus had no such problems and everything just continues to work for her. However I do still have a data service so all my Emails and Geocching Live via Cachsense still work! I have successfully downloaded a PQ, refreshed the logs on caches, logged a find :) , and a DNF :mad: all with no problems and without me having to do anything different. So everything on the Geocaching side just works, and there's a good choice of networks which all show a full strength signal, and given that the island is about 8 miles x 4 miles I would expect the coverage over the whole island to be good. I can't comment on the data charges, but if you are going to be paying the bill I would recommend doing a PQ for the island (only 3-400 cache) and loading it before you leave, that way when you get here you would only need to use the live app for the odd refresh of details/logs, or for logging your own finds, and I expect that will be less expensive.

Having said all that my Etrex 30 with the PQ I loaded up before leaving home is still my primary device, but the live app is useful for to double check the status if the hunt isn't going well :rolleyes:

I am in Jersey and our phone networks are Jersey Telecoms, Sure Cable and Wireless and Airtel Vodaphone. You will be charged for data roaming over here and even more when you pick up French netwoks which happens quite alot around the North/East coast.You could pick up a JT sim card here. As I use a GPS and not my phone I can't help you more on the apps. And feel free to contact me through my profile if you need a PAF or any other questions whilst here. We also have a Channel Island Facebook page if interested.

I am in Jersey and our phone networks are Jersey Telecoms, Sure Cable and Wireless and Airtel Vodaphone. You will be charged for data roaming over here and even more when you pick up French netwoks which happens quite alot around the North/East coast.You could pick up a JT sim card here. As I use a GPS and not my phone I can't help you more on the apps. And feel free to contact me through my profile if you need a PAF or any other questions whilst here. We also have a Channel Island Facebook page if interested.

Thank you, that's helpful. We might get a JT sim for our visit and I will check out the Facebook page.