Iphone & emprum utlimate

Hello, I'm getting back into caching since busyness took me away for a few years... A couple years back I sold my gps (garmin map60cs) and bought a emprum utilimate GPS plugin for my iphone. I read nothing but amazing reviews on it, so I purchased it! I love it, combined with the Gaia GPS app it has been amazing for my deep backcountry backpacking/snowshoeing trips... I used it last weekend to find some caches and it preformed great. I was just curious if anyone in the caching world uses this, or what peoples opinion is on this, or just a general discussion on plug in GPS devices for iPhones.

The bad elf gps is very similar to the emprum model. However, emprum has not developed a new version for the new apple plug. I may check it out when it's phone upgrade time! So you are one of the Gaia developers... Good job on the app, love it. One of the reasons I sold my garmin GPS and went with the plugin & Gaia was because of the ability to use open source maps! Garmin's maps are expensive! Love being able to choose from many different maps and also being able to download other peoples way points & tracks- comes in real handy for off trail backcountry excursions!

I have used the Garmin GLO (bluetooth + glonass) with my non-gps ipad and various maps (including gaia gps, geosphere, pocket earth, and Navigon). My understanding is that it will boost gps reception on the phone to the extent that Apple will take the stronger signal and apply that. It would have made a big difference with my old 3Gs (as did the tough case), but with the 5 I have been hard-pressed to notice anything when I have switched it on and off.

So, will the iphone5 GPS work in airplane mode??? Kinda important while out and about for days backpacking & saving batteries!

My iPhone 5 in airplane mode still receives GPS location. As a test, I turned on Airplane Mode then opened Spyglass, a GPS app and location services worked. I then took a photo with the standard camera app and checked the imange in a 3rd party EXIF app and the GPS location was written into the photo header. So my testing shows that my iphone 5 in Airplane Mode will still receive GPS data.

That apple knowledge base article was dated 2012 before the iPhone 5 was released, so things might have changed.

Edited by coggins

So, will the iphone5 GPS work in airplane mode??? Kinda important while out and about for days backpacking & saving batteries!

My iPhone 5 in airplane mode still receives GPS location. As a test, I turned on Airplane Mode then opened Spyglass, a GPS app and location services worked. I then took a photo with the standard camera app and checked the imange in a 3rd party EXIF app and the GPS location was written into the photo header. So my testing shows that my iphone 5 in Airplane Mode will still receive GPS data.

That apple knowledge base article was dated 2012 before the iPhone 5 was released, so things might have changed.

Interesting. My iphone 5 GPS does not work in airplane mode. The compass works because that is a separate system, but from what I determine the gps and cellular share hardware. According to motion x, all satellites are lost as soon as I turn on airplane mode. 20 minutes later, it still states that the app is searching for satellites.

If I turn off airplane mode - without cellular or wifi - it picks up satellites right away. But when I turn airplane mode on I lose them again and my caching app stops updating my location. Motion x still advises that the iPhone 5 does not work in airplane mode and that apps cannot override this.

Edited by geodarts

Interesting. My iphone 5 GPS does not work in airplane mode. The compass works because that is a separate system, but from what I determine the gps and cellular share hardware. According to motion x, all satellites are lost as soon as I turn on airplane mode. 20 minutes later, it still states that the app is searching for satellites.

If I turn off airplane mode - without cellular or wifi - it picks up satellites right away. But when I turn airplane mode on I lose them again and my caching app stops updating my location. Motion x still advises that the iPhone 5 does not work in airplane mode and that apps cannot override this.

Maybe mine is getting GPS location from my SatSleeve iPhone adaptor then. I'll try it again with that off when I get a chance.