Lake County IL cachers....

Zoboomafoo

I've only been benchmark hunting, but I know of a couple caches that sound interesting. One is at Sterling Lake and the other at McDonalds Woods. I've hiked quite a bit at Sterling Lake. The trees there are really starting to look good. I live near Illinois Beach State Park and have wondered why no caches have been placed there, then again, I'm the only one finding benchmarks around here. Check out the Wisconsin Geocaching site. The only problem is that they're all probably Packer fans.

And I hope it pleases my fellow Chicagoland geocachers.

I didn't reveal this at first because I wanted to experience caching and benchmark hunting on my own (turns out I love it like I expected I would), but I'm also a member of the media. The only thing I look for more than caches are story ideas and this one's a great one.

So to that end I'll be hoping to talk to a few of you for a story that I've been assigned that is due Oct. 17. Additionally, I'd like to bring a photographer along with me, and one of you, on a cache hunt.

If you're interested, drop me an email at the address in my profile, jjking54@hotmail.com.

Markwell, I'll probably want to talk to you too! icon_smile.gif

Definitely talk to Genius Loci. He's feeling slighted after I missed him on that Chicago Centi-Cachers list.

As far as me - bring it on. I seem to have some experience with the media. As long as you don't say "buried." And don't call me "Markfield." icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm heading out next week with the reporter from the Sun (Wed if the weather holds). As much as I love the limelight, there are plenty of worthy cachers closer to Lake County than I.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Does this look like an excuse for a mini cacher's get-together? icon_smile.gif Just wondering, never hurts to outnumber the press. (joking)

Where you going on wednesday Markwell?

Like I said, I live in Cook, but hunted caches in Lake, as thats also where I used to horseback ride a lot and where I have my horses (Wauconda & Woodstock) Though was not into caching back when I used to ride a lot.

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

Shhhhhhhhh...

It's a secret.

My Wednesday outing is with the Sun reporter. I'll be seeking two down in Romeoville (next to Joliet - I've always loved that!) and placing my huge-deal multi-cache. The Photographer wants to go along on a placement.

I was never advocating that Zoboomafoo tag along, and I doubt that the Sun reporter will want another reporter tagging along.

Since Zoboomafoo has requested Lake County cachers, why not get two or three of you guys together and go hunt Junk Pile Treasure or Hoard of many things the Rebirth? That way he's got something local involved instead of coming all the way down here, and I know Junk Pile Treasure is a GREAT cache. See if anyone can find the half buried farm implement I found... icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the board (I have been quietly watching all you guys for about a week now) and did my first 3 caches last weekend. I too am from Lake County. Wadsworth to be specific. By the way Cholo, the sterling lake hike is WONDERFUL! It was our second one of our "career" and we enjoyed it very much. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi, introduce myself, and maybe start getting involved in some of these discussions...

icon_smile.gif Nice meeting y'all!

-Erin

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Shhhhhhhhh...

It's a secret.

Ahhhh.. secret caches. icon_smile.gif

Isnt that redundant somehow?

quote:

My Wednesday outing is with the Sun reporter. I'll be seeking two down in Romeoville (next to Joliet - I've always loved that!) and placing my huge-deal multi-cache. The Photographer wants to go along on a placement.

I was never advocating that Zoboomafoo tag along, and I doubt that the Sun reporter will want another reporter tagging along.

Nor was I. I was talking about other geocachers.

Seems I have this wednesday off, and so does patch. Mayhaps we will go hunt up a few in lake county if its a nice day. Don't want to intrude on your big placement. Make sure the photographer dosent give it away. icon_smile.gif

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

Hey, Centaur-

quote:
thats also where I used to horseback ride a lot and where I have my horses (Wauconda & Woodstock)

If Santa ever gets my letters, maybe I'll get to say that one day, too.

I'm free most days and would love to get together on a hunt. I'm still a newbie, but want to know more and would be willing to chat with you, Zaboomafoo, if you want the perspective of my demographic.

charlotte of bloomcru

quote:
Originally posted by bloomcru:

Hey, Centaur-

quote:
thats also where I used to horseback ride a lot and where I have my horses (Wauconda & Woodstock)

If Santa ever gets my letters, maybe I'll get to say that one day, too.

Make sure you don't mind being BROKE most of the time. icon_smile.gif

quote:

I'm free most days and would love to get together on a hunt. I'm still a newbie, but want to know more and would be willing to chat with you, Zaboomafoo, if you want the perspective of my demographic.

charlotte of bloomcru

Which demographic is that?

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

There will be blood oaths involved.

icon_smile.gif Ewwwwww.. Sorry, don't do blood.

Almost fainted at my own wedding blood test. LOL

Have tons of fun, perhaps we can all meet up some other day to go caching down in your neck of the woods.

-Centaur

quote:

-Centaur

Married, Educated female, 18 to (just over) 35!! with two little people , one of which inherited the "horse person" chromosome.

I'm always looking for someone interested in my opinion, cause I don't often have any one here listening to it icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

quote:

-Centaur

Married, Educated female, 18 to (just over) 35!! with two little people , one of which inherited the "horse person" chromosome.

I'm always looking for someone interested in my opinion, cause I don't often have any one here listening to it icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh boy! Quick, Sell her something! icon_wink.gif

Does the one with the "horse person" cromosome ride a lot? Did (she?) pick it up from you? icon_smile.gif

I dont know where mine came from, other then it hit me later in life. See the picture on my profile page.

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

Hey, this opens up a whole new ball of wax.... Geocaching on Horseback! Hmmmmmm....

Does Garmin make a saddle mount for the etrex?

I used to ride (on friend's horse) along the levee of the Mississippi when I was growing up in Louisiana. My 3rd grader (she) must have gotten it from me, because Tom never even rode a pony until 3 years ago, he said he couldn't figure out how to change the oil and the clutch didn't seem to work. I put her in the saddle on her 2nd birthday and she yelled "faster, faster!" and cried when she had to get off.

She's taking lessons (fancy pants english, but that's all they have) at the palatine stables now, but we ride trails when we get the chance, which is not often enough.

I didn't know there were gangs in Wadsworth! Your Great Lakes location made me think you were near the navy base, where there are gangs nearby, but a world away from Wadsworth. My last benchmark find was near Tempel Farms, west of I-94 and just south of Wadsworth Rd. Another good hiking spot is right in downtown Wadsworth. It's at the canoe launch just west of the tracks on the south side of Wadsworth Rd. There's a small parking area there. The trail runs south and more or less follows the DesPlaines River. Go about a mile or so south and you'll come across a wooden bridge over the river, a good place to stop for awhile and just observe. I've hiked this quite a few times over the years. The foilage is great and is a good bird watching site. My wife and I saw one of those parrots that were reported in the area a few years ago. Sad to say, there've been no such reports lately. This seems to be a good spot for a cache. The way this geocaching hobby is going, I'll bet it wont take long before that happens. Oh, a train will come roaring past once in awhile, just to let you know that this is not the pristine area that it appears to be. Speaking of trains, I had a rare find today. Looking for a benchmark just over the border in Wisc. east of Sheridan Rd.(which I didn't find), a short freight train went by, it had a caboose. If anyone reading this asks, "What's a caboose ?", then you'll know why it's rare.

quote:

Does Garmin make a saddle mount for the etrex?

*chuckle*

quote:

I used to ride (on friend's horse) along the levee of the Mississippi when I was growing up in Louisiana. My 3rd grader (she) must have gotten it from me, because Tom never even rode a pony until 3 years ago, he said he couldn't figure out how to change the oil and the clutch didn't seem to work. I put her in the saddle on her 2nd birthday and she yelled "faster, faster!" and cried when she had to get off.

Ohhh... riding the Mississippi must have been fun. Im basicly a weekend rider. Used to work at a livery stable on sundays. Thats where I bought my old livery horse mickey. Hes blind now and retired, thouhg I get up on him once in a while.

My wife has a tiny 10HH pony, just kinda "because". And a friend of ours has a retired draft horse, Duke.

As for your little girl, at 2 and yelling Faster eh? Yea... fearless. icon_smile.gif Where I have the horses now is an english barn, mine is the only western saddle in the place. But its owned by a friend and is good for the retirement.

Poke around my site at The Midwest Horse Stables Directory if you like,

-Centaur (aka Chris)

logo_small.jpg

Nope, no gangs in Wadsworth! When I started getting into caching (like 2 weeks ago) all my friends said they wanted to do it with me. So far it had just been my best friend. I didnt want to do a team name cause probably it will just be me most of the time, blah blah blah icon_smile.gif

I live in Wadsworth (acutally if you are familiar with Wadsworth, I actually live in Midlane Country Club) but I work over at the Navy Base as a civilian contractor.

I know that area near the canoe launch and railroad tracks very well... I GET STOPPED BY THAT STUPID TRAIN ALMOST EVERY TIME I TRY TO CROSS THOSE TRACKS!!! icon_smile.gif I havent had a chance to go exploring down there but I will definatly take your advice.

Beach Park, huh? My friend Chaney and I were talking about putting a cache in Zion at one of the forest preserves. We were kinda surprised that no one had done it yet... but I wanna get a few more caches under my belt before I go putting my own out.

-Erin

quote:
Originally posted by Erin & Gang:

Nope, no gangs in Wadsworth! When I started getting into caching (like 2 weeks ago) all my friends said they wanted to do it with me. So far it had just been my best friend. I didnt want to do a team name cause probably it will just be me most of the time, blah blah blah icon_smile.gif

I live in Wadsworth (acutally if you are familiar with Wadsworth, I actually live in Midlane Country Club) but I work over at the Navy Base as a civilian contractor.

I know that area near the canoe launch and railroad tracks very well... I GET STOPPED BY THAT STUPID TRAIN ALMOST EVERY TIME I TRY TO CROSS THOSE TRACKS!!! icon_smile.gif I havent had a chance to go exploring down there but I will definatly take your advice.

Beach Park, huh? My friend Chaney and I were talking about putting a cache in Zion at one of the forest preserves. We were kinda surprised that no one had done it yet... but I wanna get a few more caches under my belt before I go putting my own out.

-Erin

You must be taking Wadsworth Rd. west to Rt 41. Try taking Yorkhouse Rd east to Delaney and south to where it hits Rt 41. Btw, the El Rancho Motel on Rt 41 at the lights where it splits off to Il 21, just south of Stearns School Rd, is where the "pillow" scene was shot in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". I live between Yorkhouse and Beach Rd about a mile west of Sheridan Rd. I'm familiar with Midlane. Many years ago, the place where I worked had their golf league outing and "dinner" there. They weren't asked back. Another good place for hiking is Lyons Woods. It's at the corner of Sheridan Rd and Blanchard. Blanchard is the first "thru" road south of Yorkhouse. Zion is a much smaller version of Waukegan, in some ways. There are alot of nice areas, but some neighborhoods you want to avoid.

Jolly and TED, you sure know how to resurrect an old thread!

Genius Loci just posted in the Chicago Yahoo Group that he went out with Zoboomafoo and that the article should be running soon.

Meanwhile, I'm still smarting from THORNEY GLEN and the prickers I got back in April trying to find that cache (but on the same day found Junk Pile). You guys sure know how to hide them north of Madison Street. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Indeed the article should run soon, I'm finishing it up today, and I"ll be sure to post it when it shows up on our Internet site.

Had a lot of fun with Loci on the cache.

And I know what you mean about Thorney Glen Markwell. I never found that thing and now it's been archived. I'll just have to wait till next year I guess.