What happens to all the daylight we save in the summer???

Treasure Hunters Inc.

I'd like to know who is in charge of all those hours of daylight we save. Where do they keep it? Does it earn interest? If so how much? Is there some sort of penalty for withdrawing some when we need a little extra, say to find that cache when we take longer than we expected ? Does congress have to authorize its release ? We're all saving the same hours you know. icon_confused.gif

The saved daylight is kept at many secret locations thru out the United States. It does earn interest that is how we end up with leap years. Its sort of like vacation time if you don't use it you will lose it. So we cash in some extra every four years. As far as how much interest it is something like..."Since the tropical year is 365.242190 days long, a leap year must be added roughly once every four years (four times the fractional day gives 4*.0242190=0.968760=1). There is no penalty for cashing it in but it must be done by an act of congress unless the condition is such that National Security is at steak then the President can release the time for as much as 180 days before having to report to congress. Many say that there is no stop clause here so the President may after the first 180 days and reporting to congress execute an other order for an other 180 days. So it may continue over and over again. This has never been tested and probably would require a Supreme Court Ruling if ever challenged. Unless you are the President I see no way for you to release extra time while Geocaching. Sorry. I hope this answered your question. icon_biggrin.gif

www.ManuelCasillas.com

Thanks ! I was hoping it wouldn't be too complicated. But the daylight savings act was passed back in 1966 as I remember, and that means we have saved 7688 hours. Since there are 12 hours of daylight per day, that should give us 639 days worth of light saved. There have only been 9 leap years, so I figure the government now owes us 630 days. Guess that sounds about par for the course for government overhead, but I want some of it back!! icon_mad.gif

My guess is that they are using it for some kind of space/time conversion research. icon_rolleyes.gif

$1000 Bill

Not all of it was spent on the area 51,,,The extra rule involving centuries is an additional correction to make up for the fact that one extra day every four years is slightly too much correction (0.25>0.24219). This scheme results in the vernal equinox gradually shifting its date between March 19 and 21, being shifted once every leap year, and then being abruptly shifted in non-leap centuries .

In the Gregorian calendar, 97 years out of every 400 are leap years, giving the total number of days in 400 years as 400.365+100-3=146,097

The leap year was introduced in the Julian calendar in 46 BC. However, around 10 BC, it was found that the priests in charge of computing the calendar had been adding leap years every three years instead of the four decreed by Caesar (Vardi 1991, p. 239). As a result of this error, no more leap years were added until 8 AD. Leap years were therefore 45 BC, 42 BC, 39 BC, 36 BC, 33 BC, 30 BC, 27 BC, 24 BC, 21 BC, 18 BC, 15 BC, 12 BC, 9 BC, 8 AD, 12 AD, and every fourth year thereafter (Tøndering), until the Gregorian calendar was introduced (resulting in skipping three out of every four centuries). The UNIX command cal incorrectly lists 4 AD as a leap year (Vardi 1991).

But some times it passes in your sleep... icon_eek.gif

www.ManuelCasillas.com

Right on icon_biggrin.gif there you see, we're certainly not getting back what we're putting into the bank. icon_mad.gif And I was pretty sure Area 51 would play a roll in this somehow. icon_wink.gif Just think if time is a fourth dimmension, and you get all that energy by splitting attoms (3 dimensions).....if you put a little of that saved time into the mix the energy goes up at least one whole factor.

Hello Jackson's

$1000 Bill

First to Treasure Hunters Inc. I need to know if we are splitting atoms on Earth or in space (vacuum) to better respond to your last comment. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jacksons

Not all of it was spent on the area 51,,,

I will bet your eyes are brown,you are so full of SH%T, BUT HEY,YOU CERTAINLY DO A LOT OF RESEARCH

Research? That was from memory...(I went to the University of Texas)

My eyes are brown but I am pretty regular so that can't be the reason. icon_biggrin.gif

Pick up a book Jacksons you my learn some bigger words than sh%t.

Maybe my eyes are brown becuase...Each individual carries two copies of each of their genes, one from each parent. A gene often comes in two flavors (such as a gene for eye color that makes eyes brown or blue). An individual can thus have two copies of the gene with the same flavor (brown-brown), or two copies of different flavors (brown-blue). Human eye color is controlled by at least three genes, though we only understand two of them well. Human eye color inheritance is a complicated polygenic system. The known Human Eye color genes are: EYCL1 (also called gey), the Green/blue eye color gene, located on chromosome 19 (though there is also evidence that another gene with similar activity exists but is not on chromosome 19). EYCL2 (also called bey1), the central brown eye color gene, possibly located on chromosome 15. EYCL3 (also called bey2), the Brown/blue eye color gene located on chromosome 15. A second gene for green has also been postulated. Other eye colors including grey and hazel are not yet explained. We do not yet know what these genes make, or how they produce eye colors. The two gene model (EYCL1 and EYCL3) used above explains only a portion of human eye color inheritance. Both additional eye color genes and modifier genes are almost certainly involved.

Answer your question Jacksons

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

www.ManuelCasillas.com

They gave most of the extra time to Strom Thurmond and added it to his life so he could continue to sit in the Senate.

The rest went to adding life to Alf's career so he could continue to do those stupid 10-10-220 commercials.

Tonya Harding recently petitioned for 15 more minutes of fame but the Bureau of Weights and Measures had their tire-iron proof chaps on.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

Actually I do know a lot of larger words but I'm not inebriated with the exuberance of my own verbosity which I try to impose on others, I just try to remember the K.I.S.S. principle which of course stands for keep it simple stupid icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Those that can,do; those that can't,teach; those that can't do or teach, manage

The different skin colors of all people (except those without pigment) on earth, are just shades of brown. As for eye color, there sure are alot of songs written about that, right? Oh, the question about daylight: that's kept in the fridge, just open the door and you'll see it.

Ummm....Has anyone figured in inflation? I think my savings account has about a 2% APY and I'm pretty sure that inflation runs from 3-5% per year. Of course, if the saved light is invested in the market or mutual funds it should have really grown since 1966, but; is taking a beating lately. Please excuse me if any of this doesn't make since as I am neither a scholar or an accountant. icon_smile.gif

----------

A man said to the Universe:

"Sir, I exist!"

"However," replied the Universe,

"The fact has not created in me

a sense of obligation." -- Stephen Crane