Signs

Here's an cool discussion of "No Trespassing" signs: http://forums.officer.com/t21840/

Link posted because I like the lyrics from that Topic:

"The sign says

anyone caught trespassing

will be shot on sight.

So I climbed on the fence

and I yelled to the house,

"Hey! What gives you the right?

To put up a fence to keep me out

and to"

BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

And here's a thread that can go along with it.

Depends on local laws. Around here if there is no fence, or even certain times there is, and there are not any no trespassing signs in certain locations, it's not trespassing. That means if there's a back way without any signs, then yes it is OK- legally, not morally. Of course there's more to it, but the general idea is there.

In Texas a fence IS a no trespassing sign. So is a band of purple paint on a fence post (also often seen on trees or other objects).

In Maine, two silver horizontal stripes painted on a tree is considered a No Trespassing sign also.

In California you do not need either a fence or a sign if the land is cultivated. But crossing a fence is also trespassing regardless of whether it is signed. You also trespass if you dig in a city lot or town park, so that is one more reason to respect the guidelines on that.

I have seen caches placed within the boundaries of cultivated land; behind no trespassing signs on fenced property; behind no trespassing signs with the added warning that it is highly dangerous (and a cache description that warns of encounters with law enforcement); behind no trespassing signs on unfenced property; behind residents only signs; off trail in parks where you are told to keep on trails; behind signs (that pre-deated the cache) forbidding entry due to land restoration; not to mention the fake sprinklers that have been dug in town parks. Sometimes the CO or the reviewer will take care of the situation, sometimes it takes a confrontation with an angry property owner.

Edited by geodarts

I find it hard to believe that this HOA is going to invite strangers from the internet to come chill by the lake!

At the same, I have a hard time believing anyone would be upset about someone walking up to their lake, saying "Nice place to live" while signing a slip of paper, and then being on their way. Not that I'd advocate hiding a cache there -- especially because the base of that awning looks like its covered by the kind of faux rock that get ripped up by geocachers whenever it's near GZ -- but I wouldn't be worried about looking for it.

I find it hard to believe that this HOA is going to invite strangers from the internet to come chill by the lake!

At the same, I have a hard time believing anyone would be upset about someone walking up to their lake, saying "Nice place to live" while signing a slip of paper, and then being on their way. Not that I'd advocate hiding a cache there -- especially because the base of that awning looks like its covered by the kind of faux rock that get ripped up by geocachers whenever it's near GZ -- but I wouldn't be worried about looking for it.

I suppose that depends on whether you were ripping their rocks when someone wanted to know what you were doing.

<snip> A negative impression is very hard to reverse. The general public is now trusted to do much more in NJ parks than Geocachers, who are treated like small children.

Maybe because we leave our toys scattered about in the woods? :laughing:

I see far more trash and damage left my hunters, hikers and fishermen in the state parks than abandoned geocaches.

01f9c07a-1b40-41c5-85be-ac4147f5e7f9.jpg?rnd=0.7590296

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A couple of other examples. A cache almost certainly doesn't belong around this lake, right? <_<

This doesn't seem like a good place either!

The signage in both pics appears to be at the oldest cache in Georgia. Normally it would be not allowed, but Im pretty certain that cache does have permission from the VP of the association.

The problem in most cases like this is that of perceived respect. When a geocache is found accidentally we expect people to respect it, by hiding it back or contacting the CO if there is a problem. Someone who signs up and notices people disrespecting the signs in their neighborhood is probably going to have an impression that there is no respect in the sport, and behave as such. That's how issues arise. Someone paid for those signs, and automatically dismissing the reason they were put up could result in a negative outcome.

At the same, I have a hard time believing anyone would be upset about someone walking up to their lake, saying "Nice place to live" while signing a slip of paper, and then being on their way.

Ask Trayvon Martin

Seriously? Did you really just go there?

Does he really need a sign to tell him not to? :rolleyes:

At the same, I have a hard time believing anyone would be upset about someone walking up to their lake, saying "Nice place to live" while signing a slip of paper, and then being on their way.

Ask Trayvon Martin

Are you suggesting it's reasonable for me to expect to get shot?