a pocket query query.

4thnoel

I am trying to make a pocket query for 100 miles around my zip code but I get a lot of them that are on the other side of Lake Michigan. So to get to them I either have to swim or drive an extra 200 miles around the lake to get to them. Is there any way to get a query that you can make without having to swim across the lake? :blink:

It might help to select a state, so that your query doesn't cross out of Wisconsin, or Michigan, or Illinois - just guessing as I have no clue where you're starting, beyond "my zip code". This may or may not help.

You could use a different query radius, too. Something back further from the lake edge, and then some smaller radius queries along or nearer the lake.

It might help to select a state, so that your query doesn't cross out of Wisconsin, or Michigan, or Illinois - just guessing as I have no clue where you're starting, beyond "my zip code". This may or may not help.

You could use a different query radius, too. Something back further from the lake edge, and then some smaller radius queries along or nearer the lake.

Thank you for that information. I am going to do that from now on.

The answer once again is wait for it "....................GSAK. Use the API call to draw the rectangle/circleof your hearts desire and then fill 'er up.

I dont use GSAK because I dont want to pay for that as well as geocaching.com. But thank you for your answer.

The answer once again is wait for it "....................GSAK. Use the API call to draw the rectangle/circleof your hearts desire and then fill 'er up.

I dont use GSAK because I dont want to pay for that as well as geocaching.com. But thank you for your answer.

GSAK is a one time 30$, assuming you don't loose the key and the email address for the key retrieval.

I tried to do a query with only the state but if you look at a map of WI and MI, I live right by the border in MI. If I put in MI. then I get those from both Upper and Lower MI. If I use WI then I get both sides of lake MI. And if I get GSAK how is it going to help me with this problem and how do I use it?

I tried to do a query with only the state but if you look at a map of WI and MI, I live right by the border in MI. If I put in MI. then I get those from both Upper and Lower MI. If I use WI then I get both sides of lake MI. And if I get GSAK how is it going to help me with this problem and how do I use it?

GSAK is a download, you can try it out for 30 days (I think). It has a steep learning curve but handy once set up, it is a big database management system. You can draw shapes on the map and use those boundaries to filter your pocket queries.

One alternate solution is to use the map. Position the window (pan and zoom level) where you need it to capture your desired cache area and choose "Save as pocket query" from the side menu. You may have to do it more than once due to the lake, but it is free and easy to do (and redo).

I had a similar problem. I live in New Jersey, but frequently cache in parts of New York. Due to tolls and traffic, I'm not interested in caching in Queens or Brooklyn. On the advice of Mr. Keystone, I set up two county filters in GSAK. One for northwest NJ, one for NE NJ, depending on where I am going to be geocaching. An alternate way is to arrange the caches in GSAK by county, and delete the caches in the counties you are not interested in.

GSAK is a one time 30$, assuming you don't loose the key and the email address for the key retrieval.

And if you do lose it, all you do is email Clyde and ask for that info again.

The GSAK is to exclude unwanted caches in PQs already downloaded. As was suggested, a zig-zag caches along a route or just backing away from the lake with the centerpoints of the query would avoid that effort.

In favor of GSAK, I use it extensively in my travels. I have several databases within the program, both permanent and a few which are used for temporary projects. When getting a multi-state run, I plan my route and filter the databases with a polygon filter or occasionally, using points or even just states. For those who travel and cache, I consider it a must.