Geowoodstock XIII is in...

From what I understand, you can either have it Memorial Day Weekend, or 4th of July weekend. And Warren, the only GW I too have attended (so far) choose 4th of July weekend. Although that seems to be becoming the exception, rather than the rule.

Yeah, I thought the general rule was "If it's in the south, do it on Memorial Day before it gets too hot. If it's in the north, do it in July so the snow can melt." Not familiar with the climate in Maryland, so maybe July would have been too humid? Or, maybe it will just become a May thing all the time now.

Regardless, I hope I can make it. It will be my fifth. I haven't made it out since Sellersburg and I miss it.

While I'd love to cache the East Coast, from late May to late September are not my favorite times to be there. Florida was a reminder of how hot and humid it is. I can cache like a mad cacher on national caching day, when it is cool or cold out, but I'm likely to huddle around an air conditioner in Maryland at this time of year.

Dude, where you from, Nunavut? :anicute: Just kidding, I know you're from California, but don't know where. Maryland is not that hot in May. At least not this part, it's smack dab in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. Yes, not the Rockies, and not even a particularly high section of the Appalachians, but a very scenic area. And in my opinion, not very hot. :lol:

If I recall, he lives on the coast in central California so might like the coastal area of Maryland as well. I am quite familiar with the area that he lives and although it has beaches and waves it's quite a bit different than the pacific coast. I've driven down the Delmarva peninsula several times and there are some real nice areas there. On the other hand, May to late September is also mosquito season and they can be pretty plentiful. September and October are pretty much may favorite months on the mid-atlantic coast (and, actually, just about everywhere).

Central Coast, California is home. Temps usually between 45 and 65, year around. I haven't run my furnace since 2000. When the air gets into the 80s I look for a cool place to hide and redwood groves are excellent for that as they do some weird cooling thing with air and moisture. Our relative humidity is usually under 50 percent.

For most of my life I lived in the Midwest and during Summer, except on those rare cool days following a cold front passing through, we tended to get the outside stuff done before 10 AM and spend the middle of the day at the pool or in the basement. My great uncle (Rear Admiral USN) and his wife are buried at Anapolis and I visited the panhandle, Baltimore and Anapolis areas a few times, May to early June, as we made arrangements for memorial and disposal of estate. The heat was intense, the humidity was also, even worse than Michigan, which was a new experience to me.

It's easy to put on layers when it's cool or cold, but hard to peel past your unmentionables when it's too hot. I endured Florida, but I've no intention of repeating that experience. If they'd consider Autumn GeoWoodstocks I'd be there in a flash. I have many fond memories of the East Coast in Autumn.

From what I understand, you can either have it Memorial Day Weekend, or 4th of July weekend. And Warren, the only GW I too have attended (so far) choose 4th of July weekend. Although that seems to be becoming the exception, rather than the rule.

Yeah, I thought the general rule was "If it's in the south, do it on Memorial Day before it gets too hot. If it's in the north, do it in July so the snow can melt." Not familiar with the climate in Maryland, so maybe July would have been too humid? Or, maybe it will just become a May thing all the time now.

Regardless, I hope I can make it. It will be my fifth. I haven't made it out since Sellersburg and I miss it.

Maryland weather in May is hot. I been in that area (camp two night in Hangerstown Md) back in 1981. It was June when I was there and HOT.

The host org that is responsible for fun and nice Saturday weather, belong to the host of the event, its their call on the date and please remember they live in the area year round and have a better feel for things like hot or cold.

Joe // JoGPS

While I'd love to cache the East Coast, from late May to late September are not my favorite times to be there. Florida was a reminder of how hot and humid it is. I can cache like a mad cacher on national caching day, when it is cool or cold out, but I'm likely to huddle around an air conditioner in Maryland at this time of year.

Dude, where you from, Nunavut? :anicute: Just kidding, I know you're from California, but don't know where. Maryland is not that hot in May. At least not this part, it's smack dab in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. Yes, not the Rockies, and not even a particularly high section of the Appalachians, but a very scenic area. And in my opinion, not very hot. :lol:

If I recall, he lives on the coast in central California so might like the coastal area of Maryland as well. I am quite familiar with the area that he lives and although it has beaches and waves it's quite a bit different than the pacific coast. I've driven down the Delmarva peninsula several times and there are some real nice areas there. On the other hand, May to late September is also mosquito season and they can be pretty plentiful. September and October are pretty much may favorite months on the mid-atlantic coast (and, actually, just about everywhere).

Central Coast, California is home. Temps usually between 45 and 65, year around. I haven't run my furnace since 2000. When the air gets into the 80s I look for a cool place to hide and redwood groves are excellent for that as they do some weird cooling thing with air and moisture. Our relative humidity is usually under 50 percent.

For most of my life I lived in the Midwest and during Summer, except on those rare cool days following a cold front passing through, we tended to get the outside stuff done before 10 AM and spend the middle of the day at the pool or in the basement. My great uncle (Rear Admiral USN) and his wife are buried at Anapolis and I visited the panhandle, Baltimore and Anapolis areas a few times, May to early June, as we made arrangements for memorial and disposal of estate. The heat was intense, the humidity was also, even worse than Michigan, which was a new experience to me.

It's easy to put on layers when it's cool or cold, but hard to peel past your unmentionables when it's too hot. I endured Florida, but I've no intention of repeating that experience. If they'd consider Autumn GeoWoodstocks I'd be there in a flash. I have many fond memories of the East Coast in Autumn.

Take a suggestion from me. Bring a jacket with you and also bring shorts. I spent the first 30 years of my life in Hagerstown and on Memorial weekend it can be 40 degrees or it can be 85 degrees. Also trust me, Memorial weekend is a much better choice weather wise because July 4th can be miserable due to heat and humidity. Also for those of you relating Hagerstown to Washington D.C. well it about 70 miles west (but it seems a world away LOL) in a valley between 2 mountains and Boonsboro is farm country. Not a bad place to visit, just didn't want to live the any longer

Howdy Folks!

Just dropping a note to remind everyone that the Early Registration Discount period ends this Sunday night/Monday morning at midnight Eastern time. Head on over to www.geowoodstock.com to register!

Giggity.

Too bad I can't make it. I would have to take a loan out to afford a flight, hotel and car out there.

Gas is cheap. Get a VW bus, and drive across the country, man. :blink:

I have to admit, the only two I've been to/am going to have been 100 miles from home, and this one, 320 miles.

Howdy Folks!

Just dropping a note to remind everyone that the Early Registration Discount period ends this Sunday night/Monday morning at midnight Eastern time. Head on over to www.geowoodstock.com to register!

Giggity.

Too bad I can't make it. I would have to take a loan out to afford a flight, hotel and car out there.

I have to admit, the only two I've been to/am going to have been 100 miles from home, and this one, 320 miles.

Where I am gas is no longer cheap. In one day it went from $1.95 to $2.65 My car may not make the trip anyway and it only gets 17 mpg. Don't make enough money to buy one that would be better. So it's fly and rent if I had the money to fly that far.

Howdy Folks!

Giggity.

Where I am gas is no longer cheap. In one day it went from $1.95 to $2.65 My car may not make the trip anyway and it only gets 17 mpg. Don't make enough money to buy one that would be better. So it's fly and rent if I had the money to fly that far.

Ironically I made the same argument about people having to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to fly, pay for a hotel, and rent a car in order to attend the block party and got jumped on by people from the PNW but I guess when it's someone from the PNY that does't want to pay hundreds of dollars to travel from the PNY to the east coast it's a valid excuse.

Luckily this is a nice memorial day weekend.. its going to be in the mid 70's especially up in the mountains area. Also some years it gets in the 90s. So this year we got real lucky and was able to have nice weather.

Also going back to previous post in order to host a Geowoodstock you would need a GW committe of folks from the area and submit the bid. We submitted our bid back in 2011-2012 and learned we won for 2015...

On behalf of myself (Corfmania) and my Co-Chair Cooley1103, our Steering Committee compatriots CalvertCachers and BJ&Snurt101, our entire team and the Maryland Geocaching Society, we hope you enjoyed GeoWoodstock XIII!

It was a great pleasure to host. We can't wait to see what GeoWoodstock XIV has in store in Denver. See you there!