Geowoodstock XIII is in...

...Maryland, in the Washington D.C. area!!! [:D]

Boo, hiss, boo! The last four have been central or east coast. It's time we got another one somewhere west of the great divide.

Yeah, we just got to convince someone they want to put one on the left coast.

Super happy to hear this, for number of reasons...

- My fiancée's grandfather lives in Maryland and we've been trying to figure out when we'd be able to get out for a visit.

- I've never been to that area

- Opportunity to find caches in a number of different states

I'm starting my initial planning now!

That's the thing, folks...if you want to see Geowoodstock out west, you gotta have people put in the bids. You can complain until you're blue in the face, but unless someone steps up, there won't be any coming that way.

I haven't a clue who puts in what bid, or why no one out west is putting in an acceptable bid. I guess we can't complain, but we sure as heck can be disappointed. So while everyone in the east is going TA-DA, and "drum roll please". I repeat--- BOO-HISS-BOO!!. :( :( :(B)

...Memorial Day weekend 2015, near Boonesboro, Maryland!!! :D

This is amazing! Well, for me personally. I just set foot in Boonesboro, Maryland 5 weeks ago! I was there to do a virtual cache that is listed on another website. It's a nice, scenic area in the Appalachian Mountains of Western Maryland. Someone said "near DC", I'd put it at about 70 miles from BOTH D.C. and Baltimore. The mentioned virtual cache is 250 miles from my home coordinates (as the crow flies, of course), and I know right where to go, so count me in! This is Mr.Yuck's RSVP. :P

Have they mentioned Fairground, specific State Park or anything yet for the venue?

Event page has been up since yesterday.

http://coord.info/GC54840

Why didn't I think to check that? :laughing: Quite a bit out of Boonesboro, they could almost get away with calling it Hagerstown. Oh well, I just discovered my major hotel chain of choice only accepts reservations 51 weeks out, so I can't snatch those up for a few days. Should I be one of those kooks sitting at my computer at midnight waiting for the day to change over? :P

Quite a bit out of Boonesboro, they could almost get away with calling it Hagerstown.

I noticed that, too. The guy said that Boonesboro is I think the ZIP code of that area or something like that.

The venue had a Boonsboro address, but is convenient to Boonsboro and Hagerstown alike!

We can't wait to see you there!

Follow us on Facebook

Edited by MD GW Committee

I know that a bid for a location out West was indeed submitted; I think it is now beyond obvious that whoever makes the decisions has decided to only have them in the East.

So Texas and Seattle have moved and I wasn't given the memo?

As somebody who knows at least one person who makes that decision, I can tell you that GeoWoodstock goes to the place that can best put on the event. The factors that they're looking at are more than just somebody jumping up and down and shouting "pick me" - can the area *hold* that many cachers, for instance, does it have the infrastructure to handle that type of event, does it have the cache saturation in the area to make cachers want to go there, etc. The last thing anyone wants is somebody to register for GW, travel howevermany miles and find out that the closest lodging is 50 miles away, there are 9 caches in an hour radius, one porta-potty for every 2500 attendees, etc.

Does it suck that certain areas of the population have to travel farther? Sure. But would it suck more if everyone had a bad time? Absolutely. There is *a lot* that goes on to putting on even a small event, and the bottom line is that the people that decide are trying to do what's best for the event.

I know that a bid for a location out West was indeed submitted; I think it is now beyond obvious that whoever makes the decisions has decided to only have them in the East.

So Texas and Seattle have moved and I wasn't given the memo?

How long ago was Seattle? 2010 will have been 5 years ago next summer. What's the probability that you will roll 5 heads in a row? The obvious disparity is becoming statistically suspicious.

As somebody who knows at least one person who makes that decision, I can tell you that GeoWoodstock goes to the place that can best put on the event.

Right. My comment is that for some reason the decision makers have decided that only locations in the East are qualified to hold the event.

Does it suck that certain areas of the population have to travel farther?

No, it sucks that the same people have to travel much farther every year.

I don't know anyone on the decision-making group, and their decision-making process is not transparent, but I would say that it doesn't look very good from outside. Think about the decisions: GW has been held twice in Florida in the heat of the summer. It has not been West in the last 5 years. I would say that the bulk of evidence militates against the notion that the location is chosen so that the most people have the best time.

Again, Fizzy...I'll repeat what you don't seem to understand: People have to put in bids for Geowoodstock. Not only do they have to put in bids, they have to prove they can handle such an event, as others have stated. If no one can step up to meet the requirements out West, then it won't go out West. How hard is that to grasp?

If you look at the geographical population center of the USA. Im pretty sure its East of the Mississippi. If they want the masses attending, why is this any surprise?

Plato, Missouri.

They sorta nailed it this year.

Yes. Yes they did. :)

Geowoodstock is all about location, location, location.

I was in St Charles this past weekend and I will say it was a very good location, better than Seattle.

Also, if the county and nearby city are going to be a big help, the more chances GW will be there. Because of the size of the event, you need alot of outside help. I am very sure that St Charles works very hard to make it happens. If a city/town wants it, they will pour money and time into it and that's music to the ears of decision making group.

Another thing some people aren't aware is that you need permit to host that large of an event in some cities/counties. A lot of red tapes going on. If there are any hint of red tape(s), GW WONT be there. That simple.

When a city/county is going to make it happens, they will bend any rules to make it happens. Plow right through the red tape(s).

Another thing to keep in mind, some people HATE geocaching and want to ban them. Some of them are in local government and some might have power to say they dont want the large event in their town/city. They can be the city police chief or city government people.

As I wrap this up, its NOT that simple like some people want to believe. You need a lot of local government help.

Edited by SwineFlew

Boo. Hiss. Again.

It's too bad, as there are a lot of good cachers in the West.

As the co-chair of #5 and an active and voting member of the committee (made up of all previous hosts) I will call bullpuck on this statement, or perhaps you were just misinformed. No one from the west submitted a bid for GW13. Hopefully there will be some for GW14 in 2016. Although I have lived on the east coast my whole life, I would love to see someone out west host this event. I'm always looking for an excuse to travel and cache. I haven't missed a GW event since #2.

Want to know a really good way to get my vote? Get a state that's blank on my map to host it. :rolleyes:

Edited by wimseyguy

Boo. Hiss. Again.

As the co-chair of #5 and an active and voting member of the committee (made up of all previous hosts) I will call bullpuck on this statement, or perhaps you were just misinformed. No one from the west submitted a bid for GW13. Hopefully there will be some for GW14 in 2016. Although I have lived on the east coast my whole life, I would love to see someone out west host this event. I'm always looking for an excuse to travel and cache. I haven't missed a GW event since #2.

Want to know a really good way to get my vote? Get a state that's blank on my map to host it. :rolleyes:

Hm. Hello, Idaho! :laughing:

I've been on groups in the past that had to make decisions about this, so I know that what looks bad is often not intended.

I'm just very disappointed that it has been so long since I have been able to attend a GW. I probably won't be able to go to this one, either.

It will be a fine location for GW, though. Vinnie has great caches out there, and the local caching group is active and vibrant. It's close to Gettysburg and DC, so there will be a chance for a lot of people to do some really outstanding virts.

Boo. Hiss. Again.

I kind of like the idea of Idaho. Boise is less than a 2 hour flight from San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, and Salt Lake CIty, all areas with a large geocaching population. Get outside the city and it gets rural in a hurry. Lots of beautiful country in Idaho. It's probably one of those states that is not colored in on may geocachers stat maps.

Some notes from the Maryland Co-Chairs:

There are rooms

Call the hotels. Most websites are not ready to book that far in advance at this time. I spoke to 2 hotels yesterday and they have availability. We will be posting a list of available hotels and campgrounds with event rates soon.

How did our bid packet process work?

- We started working our bid shortly after Warren (GW IX).

- We assembled a team of experienced cachers who have attended GW, and tried to think of all aspects of the event to give cachers a well-rounded event.

- We contacted a prior host, KCPenn of GW IX, and he was a huge help in bid process development.

- We have known since GW X, that we would have to wait for 2 other excellent locations (Lakeland and St Charles) before we got our turn.

- Washington County, Maryland, is amazing and wants to host GW. They are extremely supportive of GC and currently has a coin awarded Geo-trail for cachers to participate in.

We would love to see an event on the West Coast for 2016 or 2017!

Some notes from the Maryland Co-Chairs:

There are rooms

Call the hotels. Most websites are not ready to book that far in advance at this time. I spoke to 2 hotels yesterday and they have availability. We will be posting a list of available hotels and campgrounds with event rates soon.

Yes, bad info on my part. Post deleted. Or as close as you can come around here. :laughing:

I was having difficulty booking Wyndham group rooms online, but it was because Saturday night was not yet available. It was telling me 2 pages worth of Wyndham properties were "not available". Once Saturday became available (and it appears they allow bookings online about 51 weeks out), I was able to get 3 rooms. About 6 miles from GW. And a place I just happened to stay at 6 weeks ago. The location of GW XIII turned out to be quite the coincedence for me.

I've been on groups in the past that had to make decisions about this, so I know that what looks bad is often not intended.

I'm just very disappointed that it has been so long since I have been able to attend a GW. I probably won't be able to go to this one, either.

It will be a fine location for GW, though. Vinnie has great caches out there, and the local caching group is active and vibrant. It's close to Gettysburg and DC, so there will be a chance for a lot of people to do some really outstanding virts.

This morning, I was looking up caches in the area and I noticed Vinny's caches. :ph34r:

When the time get closer, there should be a thread for those that wanna do one of his infamous cache. <_<

It couldn't have worked out better for us. It's only about 5 hours from home and for several years we've spent Memorial Day weekend in the area so that we can attend the events in Sharpsburg, MD, home of the Antietam Battlefield and National Cemetery. We probably won't spend much time at Geowoodstock because of this. There are some awesome caches nearby that were placed by wvtim.

I appreciate the fact that the committee contacted kcepenn since in my personal opinion, Geowoodstock IX was the best Mega I've ever attended. Of course I'm partial since it was only about 20 minutes from where we live and I was able to work with him and the other volunteers in the week leading up to the event.

Edited by uccacher

Boo. Hiss. Again.

I kind of like the idea of Idaho. Boise is less than a 2 hour flight from San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, and Salt Lake CIty, all areas with a large geocaching population. Get outside the city and it gets rural in a hurry. Lots of beautiful country in Idaho. It's probably one of those states that is not colored in on may geocachers stat maps.

I'd think about going if it was in Idaho. I really enjoyed the one in WA, mostly because it was close. :D

It's weird for me to think about all youse not having cached in ID yet, because I've cached there off and on since 2002. ;) As a matter of fact, I was just there less that two weeks ago. Didn't get a cache, though - I was with a group and the phone was acting up. :(

Boo. Hiss. Again.

I'd think about going if it was in Idaho. I really enjoyed the one in WA, mostly because it was close. :D

It's weird for me to think about all youse not having cached in ID yet, because I've cached there off and on since 2002. ;) As a matter of fact, I was just there less that two weeks ago. Didn't get a cache, though - I was with a group and the phone was acting up. :(

To be fair, Idaho is next door to Washington. I suspect that most non Idaho non-residents that have found caches there are probably from Washington state. For those elsewhere that like to try and find a geocache in as many states or countries as possible I would guess that it's probably a state that is on quite a few todo lists. If someone is going to fly to some place so that they can get as many states as possible, there are lots of places with major airports where one could fly to and pick up 4 different states in a weekend (Memphis, Omaha, Kansas City.) Lots of state/country collectors might have Washington State (I'll be adding it in about two weeks) but Seattle is a long way from Idaho.

BTW, my step-mother grew up in the area where you live.

I'd think about going if it was in Idaho.

So would I. My trip through Idaho last summer was negatively impacted by forest fires, and I want a do-over. I also have good friends in Boise.

I really enjoyed the one in WA, mostly because it was close. :D

So did I, mostly because I got to share a hotel room with you. :ph34r:

I'm excited about the Maryland location. It's beautiful country, and I have about 50 finds in the general area. Antietam battlefield is a must-visit, and the Appalachian Trail in this section is quite scenic and challenging. For me it's a drive of three hours or so.

Definitely going to consider Maryland. Have not cached in any of those eastern states. I wonder how many states one can do in a 4-5 day time span without burning themselves out. To get a state just to simply get one is not that fun. Will be fun to plan out though. In Washington or other western states, you really cannot get too many states in a small trip. Over there, there are many ways one could.

From the GeoWoodstock site in western Maryland, you can score Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia in a matter of hours. If you take a day trip before or after the event, visit DC which allows you to pick up Delaware and New Jersey quite easily.

Definitely target WV Tim's hides in West Virginia, and for an epic Pennsylvania destination, do the "Thousand Steps" cache, which is less than a two hour drive due north from the event.

Edited by The Leprechauns

From the GeoWoodstock site in western Maryland, you can score Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia in a matter of hours. If you take a day trip before or after the event, visit DC which allows you to pick up Delaware and New Jersey quite easily.

Definitely target WV Tim's hides in West Virginia, and for an epic Pennsylvania destination, do the "Thousand Steps" cache, which is less than a two hour drive due north from the event.

Yep...thats main reason I was happy that Geowoodstock is in Maryland next year. (It was my first guess due to a little bird that told me back in Jan)

I got Virginia and West Virginia, but I need to add DC, Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland and Pennsylvania to my growing list as a geocacher. I got 30 states now. I just added two states during the trip to GWXII. (nice meeting you, I was looking for someone that been to the Moonshine event for the bingo game) :laughing: I been in 38 states before I was a geocacher and have to start over and it was kinda annoying. If I go to the upcoming Geowoodstock trip, be my first time to visit New Jersey and Delaware in my life.

As long Geowoodstock is in a state or neighbor states that I never been to, I wanna go. But If I been to that state before, I am not going. Like Fla for one.

I truely HOPE that GeowoodstockXIV will be in the Twin Cities area!

Edited, OMG... I just looked up the Thousand Steps cache and its not far from McVeytown!! Thats where my very good online friend is from! Her dad and my dad used to work together in Canada for two years back in 1968 to 1969!

Edited by SwineFlew

Yep...thats main reason I was happy that Geowoodstock is in Maryland next year. (It was my first guess due to a little bird that told me back in Jan)

I got Virginia and West Virginia, but I need to add DC, Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland and Pennsylvania to my growing list as a geocacher. I got 30 states now.

I've already got Virginia, West Virginia, DC, Delaware, New Jersey, Maryland, and Pennsylvania (26 total, will be adding Washington and Texas in the next couple of months). I don't have Idaho though. Anyone from Coeur d'Alene considering submitting a proposal? It looks like it's a very active community and would be easy to get to by flying into Spokane.

I've cached everywhere east of the Mississippi, but still plan to attend this Geowoodstock. It's the only chance I get to visit with some of my geopals who also attend GW's on a regular basis. Plus it's driving distance which will save me some money.

I've never cached in Idaho-if a bid was submitted from a group there it just might get my vote based on that. :rolleyes:

Edited by wimseyguy

While I'd love to cache the East Coast, from late May to late September are not my favorite times to be there. Florida was a reminder of how hot and humid it is. I can cache like a mad cacher on national caching day, when it is cool or cold out, but I'm likely to huddle around an air conditioner in Maryland at this time of year.

While I'd love to cache the East Coast, from late May to late September are not my favorite times to be there. Florida was a reminder of how hot and humid it is. I can cache like a mad cacher on national caching day, when it is cool or cold out, but I'm likely to huddle around an air conditioner in Maryland at this time of year.

Dude, where you from, Nunavut? :anicute: Just kidding, I know you're from California, but don't know where. Maryland is not that hot in May. At least not this part, it's smack dab in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. Yes, not the Rockies, and not even a particularly high section of the Appalachians, but a very scenic area. And in my opinion, not very hot. :lol:

We have attended only one GW - the one in Warren, PA. - because it was in July. A consideration for us more than location is the calendar date. Late May is just a terrible time for us teachers and for families with children in school. Have it in late June or July and we can make it to almost any location. Just a thought...

We love Idaho! Lots of geoart, too.

Edited by zoothornrollo

Dude, where you from, Nunavut? :anicute: Just kidding, I know you're from California, but don't know where. Maryland is not that hot in May. At least not this part, it's smack dab in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. Yes, not the Rockies, and not even a particularly high section of the Appalachians, but a very scenic area. And in my opinion, not very hot. :lol:

If I recall, he lives on the coast in central California so might like the coastal area of Maryland as well. I am quite familiar with the area that he lives and although it has beaches and waves it's quite a bit different than the pacific coast. I've driven down the Delmarva peninsula several times and there are some real nice areas there. On the other hand, May to late September is also mosquito season and they can be pretty plentiful. September and October are pretty much may favorite months on the mid-atlantic coast (and, actually, just about everywhere).

We have attended only one GW - the one in Warren, PA. - because it was in July. A consideration for us more than location is the calendar date. Late May is just a terrible time for us teachers and for families with children in school. Have it in late June or July and we can make it to almost any location. Just a thought...

We love Idaho! Lots of geoart, too.

From what I understand, you can either have it Memorial Day Weekend, or 4th of July weekend. And Warren, the only GW I too have attended (so far) choose 4th of July weekend. Although that seems to be becoming the exception, rather than the rule.