SUGGESTION: Bookmark list improvements

ivss_xx

So, i've been fooling around lately, making some bookmark lists and have come to the conclusion that their functionality is very limited and afaik hasn't really been improved during the last 6 years, since i started caching. Then, i saw the lists only as a tool where one drops some caches in to remember for some reason or generate a PQ of chosen caches.

But now they are widely used for statistical purposes, therefore I just wanted to throw in some suggestions for the BL, that I have in mind:

1. Sort view.

There are currently 4 columns in the list by which the current view could be sorted but the list is sorted alphabetically and that's it.

It would be nice if we could click on the column title cells and sort the list view by either GC code, List owner found it, Distance or Cache name. I'm no expert but it think that this kind of sorting could be done purely by browser and hence wouldn't affect server load at all.

I know that the list can be sorted anyhow by changing the entry name but that's "hard-coded" sorting and c'mon...

2. Additional columns.

As stated before, there are 4 columns in lists which show us some kind of info. Would be nice to see more of them, though.

The most useful would be: "Placed date", "Hidden by", "Last found date", "Cache type". There could be even more, like "Find count", "DNF count", "Terrain", "Difficulty", "Favorites" and others.

Would be super-awesome if each user could specify which columns he wants to see in his lists (or on each individual list!) from a list of options with checkmarks.

3. Bulk moving/copying entries between lists.

Has been suggested before, i'm just re-iterating it - we have an option to check multiple entries and to bulk delete, would be nice also to bulk copy or move to another list

4. Search public bookmark lists.

Also has been suggested, it would be useful if we could search bookmark lists marked as public by keywords.

Edited by ivss_xx

I'd also like

5. Filter bookmark PQs

Currently, PQs can either filter by criteria like size, type, difficulty/terrain ratings, attributes, or other characteristics (e.g., I haven't found, Updated in the last 7 days, Is Enabled), or PQs can include all the caches on a bookmark list. It would be really nice to be able to start with the caches on a bookmark list, and then filter by the normal PQ criteria.

I would like to be able to download a list on the website to my iPhone. Also, I would like to be able to map a list on the website. My iPhone app has a feature where you can map a list that you put into the phone.

It is easier to create lists on the website, but it would be nice to be able to create the list on your computer and map the list there. Then download the list to your phone.

Is this already possible and I have not figured it out?

To download a bookmark list, first create a PQ of that bookmark list, then run the PQ, then download the resulting PQ data (as a GPX file, or via the API). Groundspeak's Geocaching app for iPhone can download PQ data. I'm pretty sure most other geocaching apps for iPhone can as well.

Also, i'd suggest making it possible to generate complete PQ files from bookmark lists that contain more than 1000 entries.

I've seen a list (not myfinds, not favorites) with almost 3k entries. I tried generating the PQ and got 1003 waypoints in it :D

To be more precise, it is user qrang and this list http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=d62f0839-90cb-4365-a1c3-e6f6002ec47f

I have a bookmark list with 1000 entries, tried adding another and got "You have reached the maximum number of items for this list (1000)." message so I don't know how it's done.

Domo!!!

For other cacher's public Bookmarks, I would LOVE to have an additional column that shows whether you have found it :) or not :( , just like your own Bookmark.

Please?

~ Dr.MOR

Yes. This would be very useful. Currently I'm trying to create, as complete as possible, a list of cemeteries in the southwest portion the province that I haven't found. What I've been doing is checking cemetery caches in that area for bookmark lists. Creatiing a PQ for each list I find, then checking each PQ for smileys vs non-smileys.

As I go through the lists I bookmark cemetery caches I haven't found and put them on my personal cemetery list. I would love to merge cemetery bookmark lists so I don't waste time opening up caches on Bob's cemetery list that I already checked and bookmarked from Joe's cemetery list.

3. Bulk moving/copying entries between lists.

Has been suggested before, i'm just re-iterating it - we have an option to check multiple entries and to bulk delete, would be nice also to bulk copy or move to another list

I wholeheartedly concur with this one. I'd love the ability to copy from one bookmark list to another, or to upload to a bookmark list from a PQ.

1. Sort view.

There are currently 4 columns in the list by which the current view could be sorted but the list is sorted alphabetically and that's it.

It would be nice if we could click on the column title cells and sort the list view by either GC code, List owner found it, Distance or Cache name.

Distance is the one I would find most useful. Last week we went on a trip and I selected caches I wanted to find along our route. I downloaded the Bookmark list into Excel and then sorted by distance. It worked vey well, but was a time-consuming work-around.