Weird MicroSD reading issue

I noticed something odd in regards to the MicroSD from my GPSmap 60CSx, namely that my computer simply doesn't register it when I insert it into my card reader. I've tried a couple of different adapters, without success. No problem reading any of my other MicroSD's with those same adapters.

First thing I thought was that maybe the card itself was faulty, until I experienced the exact same issue with the MicroSD from my brother's GPSmap 62s.

Do the Garmins give the cards some weird formatting that makes them unrecognizable for PCs?

"Do the Garmins give the cards some weird formatting that makes them unrecognizable for PCs?"

No. When I have issues with my card not being read it's invariably the computer's fault. Try a different computer or perhaps try updating the drivers / re-installing the serial bus controllers for the ports your attempting to plug your card into.

Absolute worse case, put the GPS into Card Reader mode. (I don't own a 60CSx, But I just got the 60CSx manual off Garmin's website..) Page 68,

To activate USB Mass

Storage:

1. Connect the unit to a PC using the USB cable.

2. Highlight the on-screen USB Mass Storage button and press ENTER .

3. Observe an illustration of the GPSMAP 60CSx connected to a computer and an Unplug or Eject

icon shown on a PC’s system tray or a storage device icon for the microSD on a Macintosh®.

4. Double-click on a PC’s My Computer to observe a new Removable Disk Drive listed. If

drives are networked, see the note below. If using a Macintosh, double-click on the icon to

view the directory of files on the microSD card.

This will put the GPS into a 'Card Reader' mode, using the SD card as a drive. While it's connected this way,

go to [My Computer], click ONCE on the drive for the microSD card, then Right-click it. At the bottom of the menu,

Should be the selection "Properties". click on it! One of the tabs along the top, should be [Tools]. Click on it.

Now, here's where it's going to take some time.. You're now about the CHKDSK the SD Card. You should see [Error Checking]

at the top... click on it.

Now, Scan for and Fix Errors should already be checked. DO NOT check the Scan for bad sectors. (doing so kinda shortens the lifespan of the SD card. these are only good for just so many write operations.)

Click on start, and just let it finish! Do not stop or pause it, let it do it's work.

Some versions of Windows will also come up, if the file allocation file is corrupted, it will ask if you want to re-format the drive.. If the data is that badly corrupted, this may be the only option, to reformat the card blank, and re-write everything from scratch to the card.

Also, note the mentioning of the 'Ejector Unplug' icon on the bottom-right system tray? Use it before disconnecting the GPS. this essentially flushes any pending data to be written to the card, out of the PC's memory. If you disconnect it before it finishes writing all of the data, it has a greater chance of corrupting the data.

Hope this helps! It's rare to have a SD card go over the #write-cycle lifespan. But not impossible either.

Edited by gelfling6

Simply you're computer SD card reader does not recognise SD cards over the memory capacity of the SD card you're using.

You need to buy an external USB SD card reader that can handle the larger capacity SD cards!

Been there.. :(

~

Edited by Odourless

Simply you're computer SD card reader does not recognise SD cards over the memory capacity of the SD card you're using.

You need to buy an external USB SD card reader that can handle the larger capacity SD cards!

Been there.. :(

That is most certainly not the case here. The microSD that is not being recognised is a 4Gig. The 4Gig from my phone however, is read without an issue. So is the 16Gig from my tablet and the 32Gig from my camera.

As for the earlier suggested other computer; no luck. Exact same issue there. Trying the suggested scan in mass storage mode later.