Incorrect street names

squeakmtr11

Just wanted to point out that the map for Port Lincoln in South Australia has a couple (that I have noticed so far) streets incorrectly named.

Orabanda Drive (according to your map) runs from Robertson Road all the way to Western Approach Road. Orabanda Drive (which is the next street over to the east) actually runs from Robertson Road to Kaidan Court. What you have marked as Orabanda Drive is Kurara Road, this runs from Robertson Road to New West Road. The portion From New West Road to Western Approach Road is Nootina Road. Thank you :)

As I have an Openstreetmap account, I've fixed the street names you mentioned. Changes are usually visible on Openstreetmap rendered using Mapnik within a couple of minutes, but I don't know how often MapQuest maps are rendered. These are the ones gc.com uses.

Yesterday I did a few edits on OSM (added some forrest tracks), but still can't see the changes on MapQuest (it's been about 20 hours).

Edited by Pontiac_CZ

There are several map types available on Cache Description Pages... Mapquest seems to be the default, but over on the left side you can choose to view in others... try the OSM there and see if it works differently. Not sure about the general map on the Hide and Seek a cache page... despite using it daily, but I don't think that is selectable... other than PM's can opt for GM I think... even those can be edited via Google somehow.

I edit local OSM maps here and most appear fairly quickly even on the MapQuestvariant... and even some of the others that use OSM to update... however not all at the same rate. For my GPS(es) I use the OSM downloads from garmin.openstreetmap.nl and they sometimes take up to a week. Different story though since those are processed by independent people/groups.

One thing I find annoying about OSM editting is that often the site makes updates containing the same errors I fixed recently wiping out the correct stuff. They seem to do that from government data in large blocks. hmm.

Don't care to do that over and over again. Thought they were supposed to consult over conflicts to resolve.

That and they have progressed way beyond the ability of my GPS to keep up with display items... the newer E20 displays the same map very differently from my Map60 when it comes to trails etc. I'm sure the source could change by type of unit, but why? He probably has a newer one.

Edit: Just went to look... using the Hide and Seek a Cache page, 10km of Port Lincoln, SA, then Map this location... The Mapquest OSM does not show your corrections, but, at least for Orabanda/Kurara, the map has been fixed already on OSMdefault.. you CAN switch maps on the upper right (stack of maps icon)...

Good luck with them sticking, most do that way... the MapquestOSM takes a while since they update on their own schedule and so does GS I believe... but it should be soon... Also you might have to zoom in or out for some things depending on how good you are at editting, I tend to miss zoom levels a lot, but only use the online editor..

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Yep, I know how to swap different map sources by clicking on the paper stack symbol on the upper right and usually use OpenStreetMap Default. ;) MapQuest is ... weird, doesn't show too much information but due to its low contrast it's generally useful for displaying caches without making cachers confused.

BTW, don't you guys know how to make OSM default for cache description pages instead of MapQuest? I've searched my account settings page without success so I doubt it's possible.

For the large map I use GC little helper (greasemonkey script) to make OSM default.

Edited by Pontiac_CZ