got a new magellaneXplorist GC today.

well I purchased it new off ebay. when I got it the darned thing wouldn't work right. when I tried to down load caches to it I wanted to find it wouldn't. after about 3 hours on the phone they are sending me another one. i'll put this one right back in the box and send it back to them. can't beat that deal. well yes it could have worked like it should have to begin with. i'll post more when I get the replacement in.

we used four different computers and firefox trying to get it linked up. they all found the comm program, but not the gps. I figure if it was the computer one of the 4 would have worked. I still have one with windows 98 on it. it wouldn't work either. we'll find out soon enough. I will report back what I find out.

It's not unheard of to have a faulty usb port. The cable could also be bad.

In short: If it's the USB connection, then it won't mount as a drive. If it doesn't mount on multiple systems, then it's likely a problem with the cable or the GPS. If it fails to mount with multiple USB cables, the problem is likely on the unit.

But the most common problem lately has been Microsoft's denial/refusal to build IE to support standards in web programming. Thus, plugins such as Garmin Communicator fail to work with the latest IE. But you're also using Magellan's plugin, which may not have the same compatibility issues as Garmin's.

Final shot, would be checking if your GC is set to Connect To Computer, Power-Only, or MNEA mode. look in your Tools, settings for Connection.

Also, sometimes, You'll have to wait.. the 2.xx firmware versions seems to lag-down the speed of the device. (where it should be a USB 2.0, it reacts to some computers as a USB 1.2 (slow speed).. <_<