Central Illinois

bsmalley

It's been a bit hard to get out since the lil' fella was born, but I'm starting to get a few more.

In fact, I've got to be in Lincoln on Thursday and am hoping to squeeze in a couple of caches. Any advice on what one or two to grab if I'm in a hurry?

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

I dont know about everyone else but I am just getting ready for some serious caching. I have been waiting for this cool weather all summer. Makes me wish I wouldnt have hunted so many caches when it was 90+ deg out. We are going to get the Journal soon and then I will be going after all of the new caches that you have placed along with Seth's new ones.

quote:
Originally posted by JCfans:

I dont know about everyone else but I am just getting ready for some serious caching. I have been waiting for this cool weather all summer. Makes me wish I wouldnt have hunted so many caches when it was 90+ deg out. We are going to get the Journal soon and then I will be going after all of the new caches that you have placed along with Seth's new ones.

I had a four day weekend this week (S/M/T/W) and I had big plans of going after the Journal myself. As fate would have it, I came down with a cold. Thought about goin ahead but rcharlier warns you should be in tip top shape (something I'm not...ever..but certainly not with a head cold). That cache will be mine soon though.

I have however, placed four new caches in the past three days. Three of them are Urban Micro caches kind of like Jeepster's but less original because they're not Jeepster's. icon_smile.gif I doubt long time geocachers will get much excitement out of them but they should be fun for newbies or the handicapped (as they are all handicap accessible). A person could probably log all three of them in under an hour.

I really wish there were more Geocacher's in Lincoln. I think Scout65 is the closest and he is 15-20 miles away. It's getting to be a real problem for me to get to a cache during daylight hours, I've hunted nearly all of them within 30 miles, of course, I'm preaching to the choir now.

Look at me ramble on and on. I do so when I'm very tired and need to go to bed. So, I'll close.

Happy Caching.

quote:
In fact, I've got to be in Lincoln on Thursday and am hoping to squeeze in a couple of caches. Any advice on what one or two to grab if I'm in a hurry?

So, Brad, any advice? I'm thinking I'd like to get the ones out at Kickapoo--that was always one of my favorite spots when I went to college in Lincoln.

Also might grab your micros if I get a chance.

Thanks,

Bret

I do highly recommend the two at Kickapoo Creek Park. The park is great (when you're not tripping over dead people). Seriously though I love the park. My micros will take you no time at all. They almost didn't approve one of them because they are all so close together. I rebutted and Jeremy allowed it with the stipulation that I don't put anymore close by. If you have time, my favorite cache, placed by myself that is, is Turley's Treasure but it is about 12-13 miles out of town. Hope that helps.

I should get started on the Journal this week or next and then will be heading down your way. Now that you have placed your new ones and there are several new ones in Springfield that we havent got we will have to make a day trip of it and try to get them all. I loved Turleys Treasure it is such a unique area. I know what you mean about all the ones that close you have already gotten. Every time a new one pops up that is close we pounce on it icon_cool.gif Good luck on the Journal.

quote:
Originally posted by JCfans:

...I loved Turleys Treasure it is such a unique area...

I'm not sure unique applies as areas like that are all over but it is nicely secluded I think. Just a note, Turley's Treasure has recently (today) became the first stop for a new TB named Smoochy. He's a dark and melancholy frog. I just love typing melancholy. icon_smile.gif

Brad,

I hope I'm not gushing, but those micros you've placed in Lincolnd are OUTSTANDING!!!! I proclaim you KING OF THE MICROS!

I wish I could have gotten the Sully one . . oh well, I guess that's a reason to come back to Lincoln.

Again, simply incredible. People who say they hate micros ought to see "In Plain Sight." It sets the standard.

Bret

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

I hope I'm not gushing, but those micros you've placed in Lincolnd are OUTSTANDING!!!! I proclaim you KING OF THE MICROS!

You apparently haven't visited Jeepster's micros. I do appreciate the flattery but Jeepster is the King of the Micros to me.

quote:

Again, simply incredible. People who say they hate micros ought to see "In Plain Sight." It sets the standard.

I fell in love with micros with the mini-journal by (guess who) Jeepster.

I wish mtn-man could see your post though. He is the admin that wouldn't approve "In Plain Sight." He made some good points though, the caches are pretty darn close to one another. Probably would be better as a multi-cache.

Thanks for the flattery though. I feel a little more hip and happening now.

--------------

quote:

You apparently haven't visited Jeepster's micros. I do appreciate the flattery but Jeepster is the King of the Micros to me.

I haven't been in Jeepster's area to hunt his yet, although he's found a few of mine. It looks like I'm going to have to start widening my search area a bit, so maybe I'll have to head north every now and then.

As for making your micros into a multi, they seem far enough apart for me, but somewhere down the road it might be interesting to see something like that.

I've also always had a few ideas on some virtuals in Lincoln. There's plenty of weird stuff in that little town (like the phone booth on the square). icon_wink.gif

Yes that phone booth is certainly weird. I won't discuss it here, in case you do decide to do a virtual on it but the reason for it being there seems a wee bit shy of a bright idea.

As far as Jeepster's micros, his newest (Hidden Pond) is very cool. I really thought I was grasping at straws when I found it. Never thought anyone would be so cruel as to hide a cache in that way. I just hope I haven't said too much.

----------

A man said to the Universe, "Sir, I exist!" "However," replied the Universe, "that fact creates in me no sense of obligation." -- Stephen Crane

bsmally, thanks for the compliments on the urban caches (micros). I sincerely appreciate it. I enjoy the caches that really tweak our noses (my wife is with me about 80% of the time) and make us think.

It's great to know that others enjoy that type of challenge also. I've got a couple more planned ... just searching for the right location.

&quotThe Big U&quot (CYBret has completed it) in Champaign is also a great Urban Cache ... fun challenge at home if you like studying encryption methods … and a fun puzzle when you get to the site, especially if you visit on a Saturday like we did. Spyderuser - in the Chicago area - has an assortment of Cigar Tube caches that are non-urban micro caches. Actually, I think they are idiot magnets ... only an idiot would go looking for a cigar tube in the woods ... that's why I've located all of them. Well, all but one ... &quotGone Fishin&quot might be AWOL … I'm waiting on a reading from Spyderuser.

As to geocaching in the Springfield area ... I've been meaning to get there. But, family travels and Markwell's new five star cache have managed to distracted our attention. Chicago has sooooo many caches, it's no wonder their local cachers don't leave the area. I'm extremely jealous. However, Markwell managed to beat up on us pretty badly yesterday, so maybe a visit to a friendlier area is in order.

BTW, CYBret, congratulations on the new addition. Have a player name registered yet?

Jeepster

- Road kill on the information highway ...

[This message was edited by Jeepster on October 20, 2002 at 07:48 PM.]

quote:

BTW, CYBret, congratulations on the new addition. Have a player name registered yet?

Jeepster

- Road kill on the information highway ...

I'm seriously considering renaming Megan, Grace and Connor "Eenie, Meanie and Minie" respectively . . because there ain't gonna be no "Moe!"

icon_wink.gif

Bret

Darn it! Darn it! Darn it! My new urban micro "In Plain Sight" has gone missing. I am archiving it for now and haven't yet decided if I will replace it. It's life was significantly shorter than what I hoped for...

UGH!

----------

A man said to the Universe:

"Sir, I exist!"

"However," replied the Universe,

"The fact has not created in me

a sense of obligation." -- Stephen Crane

Sorry to hear about In Plain Sight. I hope we will be getting down there soon to get the rest of your new ones. We started the Journal on Sat so who knows how long it will be before we are done. I will say that The Journal is everything it is cracked up to be. I never imagined it would be this great. Start it as soon as you can you wont be sorry. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by bsmalley:

haven't yet decided if I will replace it

Now you're starting to hide like Markwell ... get a guy's interest up, archieve the cache and then leave it dangling there in front of his face. He archieved his Quasimodo's Quandary cache back in March, right after we first got started. And, left it archieved all summer ... right up until last week. But, even then, you can see by my posting that Markwell still doesn't really want to let others play with his toys.

Would you think about rehiding it for one day? I would love to come down and find it on Sunday afternoon. You might have to leave it up a little longer for Walkin Stick though ... he is getting a little old and slow you know.

Please ...

Jeepster

- We did not inherit the land from our parents; we are borrowing it from our children.

I have been giving it quite a bit of thought and I think I will rehide it in the same place but in a more permanent manner. I will try to get it done tonight but if not should certainly be done by Sunday. Let's hope it just sticks around a little longer this time.

----------

"Sir, I exist!"

quote:

It's there...

hopefully for a long time to come.

Thanks. We'll be there!!

Although, now if things go wrong, I won't have Markwell to blame ... hummmm. Will, I'll just have to think up another excuse.

Jeepster

- We did not inherit the land from our parents; we are borrowing it from our children.

In yet another twist of this seemingly never-ending saga the "County Seat" urban micro cache has now gone missing with it's keychain contents. I discovered this when attempting to recover the cache to fix it. I have already constructed a new cache and will attempt this one more time in a slightly different way. @!$#%@$^@% I can't help but curse whoever is taking these things...can't they just let us play our game? Argh!!! Oh well, thanks for letting me vent.

----------

"Sir, I exist!"

Yep, we made it to Lincoln this afternoon. Had a great time wandering around downtown and hitting bsmalley caches. Carmelcorn from the local store was an extra plus. Thanks for replacing both caches. We both really liked &quotIn Plain Sight&quot. It was worth the trip ... made us both smile. Thanks ... will log it tomorrow.

By the way, worked it so that &quotIn Plain Sight&quot was my number 400 cache find.

Jeepster

Glad to see they've been replaced. When people ask me questions about geocaching "In Plain Sight" is always a cache I have to tell them about (without giving them the actual coords, of course). icon_wink.gif

Bret

quote:

I've noticed a marked decline in the amount of logs coming out of Central Illinois geocachers lately. Is the colder weather keeping people from going out? Did Seth! wear everyone but me out when he came for his visit? Just curious.

Brad Smalley

Okay, all of the bugs are worked out of the Lincoln Site I cache ... where is everybody. No, Seth didn't wear me out while he was here ... but, he sure got even after he left. Through no fault of his, someone decided to redo the exterior of one of his waypoints. You would think that a bronze plaque bolted to the side of a building would be safe to use as a waypoint, wouldn't you? Well, it wasn't. But, Seth has provided a workaround so the cache is waiting.

bsmally, I'll have an additional cache out for this weekend. Everything is already installed and rechecked ... just have to finish the write-up. If you really spent over five hours hiking the woods while doing &quotThe Steps of La Salle&quot, please leave your family with a well documented &quotWill&quot.

Jeepster

quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster:

bsmally, I'll have an additional cache out for this weekend. Everything is already installed and rechecked ... just have to finish the write-up. If you really spent over five hours hiking the woods while doing &quotThe Steps of La Salle&quot, please leave your family with a well documented &quotWill&quot.

Oh no...It only took me 45min to an hour to do "The Steps of LaSalle" but I was still breathing hard 5 hours later (well, maybe a slight exageration more like ...oh 5 minutes) At any rate, I look forward to hunting your new cache. Maybe it is good that three of the Champaign-Urbana caches I attempted on 11-4-02 didn't work out. Perhaps I will get to do a Jeepster cache as number 50 but, I'll wait for the difficulty rating before I say it's a sure thing.

----------

"Sir, I exist!"

It was a big day for Geocaching today in Lincoln. I had 26 logs added to my caches. Tomorrow, I will head north and try a couple more Peoria caches including Jeepster's new one. I hope that it explains itself a little better when I get there cuz' at this point I'm mostly lost...

----------

"Sir, I exist!"

quote:

quote:

Tomorrow, I will head north and try a couple more Peoria caches including Jeepster's new one.

Promises, promises ...

Jeepster

The operative word in my previous post was "try" I arrived at ICC at around 0800 hrs and proceeded to the waypoints noted on Jeepster's continuing education cache page. I gathered the information I thought was necessary then quickly realized I had no idea how to do the "final exam". I decided to return home and mull it over. Unfortunately my wife had other plans for me. I hope that I will be able to figure out what is required of me and decrypt the message for a return next week. If all goes well I'll quickly solve Jeepster's puzzles and find the cache before moving on to That Old Dirty Dog.

----------

"Sir, I exist!"

quote:

I hope that I will be able to figure out what is required of me and decrypt the message for a return next week. If all goes well I'll quickly solve Jeepster's puzzles ...

Well, next week is here. Hope you have all the information you need. Good luck.

While in Lincoln, we double checked on your three micro-caches ... yep, they are all there and just waiting to stump someone.

After hitting two caches right next to where you &quotwork&quot we stopped by to see if you could come out and play. The REALLY BIG guy at the gate said NO! What a spoil sport ... what are visiting hours for anyway?

Jeepster

quote:

Well, next week is here. Hope you have all the information you need. Good luck.

If everything goes as plans I will give it another try Tuesday morning. I'm still mostly lost but, hopefully with the assistance provided by the professor I'll get this cache finished up.

Wish me luck.

----------

"Sir, I exist!"