Suggestion: MegaPQ

Threefoot

The number of geocaches constantly grows and so do GPSr ability too hold them. Gpsmap 64 can hold 250 000 of them! Takes a while with 5 PQ a day to fill it. I suggest MegaPQ´s. A ready made file containing all caches in a defined area. Could be up to a whole country. Maybe up to 50 000 caches. Just click from a map which area you like and the file downloads. Files updated twice a day. You get a raw file to process on your own computer in a program like GSAK. Or Groundspeak could develop a simple sifter like the PQ form. This would ease the strain on creating ordinary PQ´s.

My first question is why do you need that many? They would be out of date quickly. Then there is the load on the servers which already slows down at times. You can get 11,000 a day between API and PQ. Until you can fine more than that raising the amount seems unnecessary. If you want larger amounts you can also throw in project GC maps which appear to be unlimited.

I´m planning holidays in central europe and have to cover large areas. I have to make numerous PQs. Five a day takes some time to cover a whole country even if I only stick to traditionals. And yes, they are out of date when I use them, some cache data can be more than two months old. But that is still better than no caches at all. A Mega PQ would solve this problem.

I´m planning holidays in central europe and have to cover large areas. I have to make numerous PQs. Five a day takes some time to cover a whole country even if I only stick to traditionals. And yes, they are out of date when I use them, some cache data can be more than two months old. But that is still better than no caches at all. A Mega PQ would solve this problem.

Maybe a better answer is a smartphone with an app. Then you can get the info on the fly.

Maybe a better answer is a smartphone with an app. Then you can get the info on the fly.

Out of question. Here we have to turn off data roaming when abroad. Otherwise we can look forward to bills of several thousands of dollars. Yes its crazy but this is the way free enterprise works over here among telephone companies. At home in Sweden I have a flat rate for surfing on the net by my cell phone.

I've requested Basically the same thing, but by it being a Searchable PQ Result. As in, If I want all caches in a specific State, then I goto a specific directory and Download a Static version of ALL the caches in the entire state. The Static files would ONLY be updated once a week, and would Only have the last 5 logs.

At this point, you would be able to load the 1 file into GSAK, and via the Status Check you would be able to check the status for all the caches in your DB at that point.

This would SAVE Groundspeak 35 PQs just from me a week. And then the Same Result for MANY cachers(that DO Maintain Offline data for various reasons) would NOT have to be requested Every time that someone wants the data. They would just download the Same data that would be available for all to use IF they need it.

The Current way to "maximize" your PQ Result is via Established Fences(State/Province), then by Date(1/1/00-aa/1/bb, aa/1/bb- cc/1/dd etc). Make sure to set 1000 Results.

The Steaks

What kind of phone do you have? The reason I ask is that with most androids you can hook the gps up and move data on/from it. So running a bunch of PQs (plus 6,000 a day from gsak) and save them on the phone. Then you can transfer them to the gps easily.

I know you don't want to tie up to much time but if you already have the pqs set up to run it cant take much time and a nice coffee shop to download them to the phone and off to the gps.

Do you perhaps travel with a netbook (I do just for geocaching) which would make it even easier. There is no way no (or probably ever) to do what you want so you will have to adjust to what is available.

You can also stack up some maps at Project GC for later download. I don't know if they count against the 6,000 a day api limit but get them setup, ten seconds to run, hook up and download and you haven't even finished your double decaf, extra cream with solid brown sugar latte and chocolate croissant.

I use iPhone 4. But that is no option to use it in caching. It flattens the battery quite quickly. I make SD memory cards with about 10 000 caches and a OSM map covering that area. Just change as the trip goes along. Its easy and works fine. I just want a simple way to gather the caches. And to me a MegaPQ is the answer.

If you are trying to get others to be excited about caching, perhaps the answer isn't in a massive amount of caches but well chosen caches. You are a pm, try find the caches that are virus, earth caches, and highly favorited caches and look at those. Careful selection for great locations, history, or clever caches is difficult but makes it easier to sell the idea.

And, instead of trying to cover a large area, have a look at doing a Cache Along a Route PQ.

(providing that you have some idea of which route you are taking!)

(Have to say, the GSAK version is a lot better at doing it, and isn't limited to 1,000 caches,AND is easier to edit where it covers... ie. larger coverage area in towns/cities)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Unless you're going to visit the Vatican you're not going to be able to find every cache in any European country. You're right about using a smartphone and incurring astronomical data roaming charges. I've been to Europe quit a few times and internet cafes and free wireless spots are pretty common. With some planning you could set up pocket queries before you travel that would cover every place you're planning on visiting and as long as you don't add the to your daily queue you can make as any as you want. Just create the ones you need when you need them.

Sure, a Mega PQ might solve your problem, but it's likely going to create more problems for everyone else.

I have at least some sympathy for the OP. Suggestions such as "cache along a route" are useful only if one has a VERY specific itinerary already in mind before leaving for a trip like this.

Sometimes, people just don't know for certain where they will wind up. Some have the luxury of going where the mood suits them on a given day when they travel. In high density caching areas, this creates a problem that is fairly difficult to overcome without a great many steps. I could envision a situation where gc.com allows each premium member TWO PQs a year of some absurd number (50,000 caches?), useful mostly to those with the newer units with tremendous capacity. Then they could take off for a couple of weeks, and within that time frame they could go anywhere they wanted within a large area with some thought that within that shorter period, the data would be current enough. Example .. a serious wandering holiday in Germany. Building THAT from GSAK rectangles over a period of a week would get pretty tedious.

The number of geocaches constantly grows and so do GPSr ability too hold them. Gpsmap 64 can hold 250 000 of them! Takes a while with 5 PQ a day to fill it. I suggest MegaPQ´s. A ready made file containing all caches in a defined area. Could be up to a whole country. Maybe up to 50 000 caches. Just click from a map which area you like and the file downloads. Files updated twice a day. You get a raw file to process on your own computer in a program like GSAK. Or Groundspeak could develop a simple sifter like the PQ form. This would ease the strain on creating ordinary PQ´s.

This sort of thing would certainly be useful, and a large part of it could be achieved by simply expanding the capability of existing pocket queries.

Certainly if the query is as simple as "all caches in North Carolina" it would save a lot of processing power, but could increase bandwidth requirements drastically.

A query like this is certainly useful in situations where someone is travelling and doesn't know exactly where they are going to be. When I visit friends in North Carolina we usually pick off a cache or two, but without knowing in advance where we are going to go it's impractical to run loads of pocket queries to cover the whole area, and we usually only look for fairly easy traditionals and virtuals/earthcaches so their children don't get bored of endless multi stages.

Using a phone isn't practical for people without data plans or for people who are away from home. IIRC my roaming data charges in the US are something like $5/MB and even that's only useful if I've got mobile coverage, which isn't always a given in rural areas. I know assorted places offer free wifi spots but they don't tend to be found in remote areas either.