Virtual/Webcam hunting helper...

GeoLog81

Is there any list/bookmark/map with virtual or webcam caches? There are very many few of them, and something like that would help hunting them.

The generic search is limited to single region, and even than you can't "map" the search (all caches around single virtual/webcam appear, instead of expected whole country/region map with only virtuals/webcams...

At best, I'd like to see all webcams/virtuals for the whole, say, Germany, or for whole Europe at best.

Have you tried to run a PQ for just those cache types?

PQ doesn't work well for large radius, from what I know :D (large = 500km :D) People claim some caches are missing etc. GSAK claim you shouldn't give more than 50km etc.

As an aside, for Germany, there's a specific website set up mapping all webcam caches, called webcamcaches.de

That one looks good :D It would be super if there'd be something like that for virtuals.

If I wanted the big list of European Virts and Webcams I'd create a pocket query.

select types: virtual webcams

any container

that: I haven't found (or leave this blank to get them all)

within: select all the countries of interest, one at at time, while holding down the control key, scrolling the countries list from top to bottom. This takes some time the first time you do it, but now you own a "all Europe" PQ, or whatever parts of Europe you want.

Once you own it, you can modify it to other stuff that might interest you - 5 5 Mysterys, Wherigos, etc.

You might not add Russia, or you might, you might go east to Kazakhstan, etc. If you're looking at a cache type where the query will exceed 1000 caches, use date ranges to limit the numbers.

From Origin: NONE SELECTED - you don't have to limit the radius of a search, just skip that section.

I just did this, rather quickly and probably with errors, likely picking up some non-European countries and missing some in Europe, and generated a PQ with 475 virts and 25 webcams. You could do one query for each type as well.

It doesn't take that long.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I'd go to Project GC and do a map compare.

Once you link your account, put your profile in the name box, select the country (you can only do this by country) and then choose both found and not found. Then choose cache type from the filters - ignore the size and select both Virtual and webcam from the other drop down - then you'll get a map of them.

This might work: http://project-gc.com/Maps/mapcompare/?profile_name=Blue+Square+Thing&country=Germany&nonefound=on&onefound=on&type%5B%5D=Virtual+Cache&type%5B%5D=Webcam+Cache&submit=Filter

Why can't you use the map? You can filter each individual cache type to either show or not show, as well as caches you own or found.

Sometimes the map isn't very reliable. Two weeks ago, I was looking for WWFM events near me. I centered (sort of) on one I already knew about and zoomed out. When I got to the tiny icons, it disappeared. It would be visible for the large and next smaller icons, but not smaller.

Why can't you use the map? You can filter each individual cache type to either show or not show, as well as caches you own or found.

Sometimes the map isn't very reliable. Two weeks ago, I was looking for WWFM events near me. I centered (sort of) on one I already knew about and zoomed out. When I got to the tiny icons, it disappeared. It would be visible for the large and next smaller icons, but not smaller.

That's not a question on reliability. That's intentional-the more you zoom out, the more caches you could see. Now with more than 2 million caches, that's a lot of stuff to load. 2 million icons, 2 million links, you get the point. Plus it would be impossible to be bale to distinguish each cache-

I can understand this being a problem with traditionals, or even unknowns, but events and each types of virtual cache-no. If you are viewing just event-well I just looked, and they didn't merge until I zoomedo ut enough to view most of BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, in Canada. Keep in mind that most Alberta is bigger than the average country. It's almost 3 times the size of the UK.

Ya you're not going to be able to select every single webcam, or event, but you can see where they are enough to plan trips. Figure out where you want to go, zoom in and make a PQ from the results.

That's not a question on reliability. That's intentional-the more you zoom out, the more caches you could see. Now with more than 2 million caches, that's a lot of stuff to load. 2 million icons, 2 million links, you get the point. Plus it would be impossible to be bale to distinguish each cache-

I had the map only showing events, centered on one I could see. 3 zooms out and it disappeared, while other events were still visible. I tried it several times, panning around and zooming in & out. I just checked again and it isn't doing it today. It was only one particular event that did this. If I see it again, maybe I'll run a PQ on the map and check if it is there. I didn't think of that at the time.

But this isn't helping the OP, so I'll just let it go.