Theft of trackables

Horsforth-Seekers

I was amazed recently by the response from geocaching.com to my complaint about a member deliberately keeping one of my trackables. This by his own admission to geocaching.com and an excuse he gave me. he doesnt now answer emails. Now the trackable cost me money and the item attached to the TB cost me money so where I come from that is theft. Ok I know interpol are not going to intervene over £10.00!! given that I am UK and the culprit is in another country but the least geocaching.com should do is ban the member and they are not doing so. they have said just make another one and etch the track number on it and start it again. Ok a solution yes, do I get the item attached to the TB which cost me a fiver back ? NO! I`ll have to buy another. I do not think it is good enough when it has been established this is a deliberate holding of the TB. I certainly will never buy another until geocaching adopt some new rules.

So what do you expect Groundspeak to do about it? If they ban the offending member, what does it achieve? They can just create a new account and continue to steal trackables.

Seriously, if you release a travel bug you need to be willing to regard it as the equivalent of turning a £10 note into a paper aeroplane and throwing it from the top of a tall building just to see where it will end up. If you're not willing to release a bug knowing it will disappear sooner or later, don't release bugs at all.

Yes, technically this sort of thing is theft. But realistically when you put something out there with the intention that random people will find it and hopefully move it along, sooner or later you have to accept someone will either decide to keep it, or someone will lose it. If something matters to do you, don't put a TB tag on it and leave it in a box under a dead tree.

Loss of a trackable is basically the cost of doing business.

If you have a business and take a check sooner or later you're going to have someone write a bad one that won't be honored. Sure, you can go to the trouble of getting the person criminally charged but you'll spend more time and effort on it for low amounts (like what you have in your trackable) that it isn't worth it. That's the cost of doing business. It isn't right that it happens but that's reality.

I like to fish and part of that cost of doing business is I'm going to lose several lures over the course of a day. I don't enjoy losing those lures but I also know it's going to happen.

I knew when I released our trackable the chance existed that it would disappear and that may be the case based on the last note posted. But that's the cost of doing business if you want play that game. If that loss causes you this much mental anguish then this probably isn't a game for you to be playing.

This will be my last comment on the subject that I can only assume you have misunderstood. I have had many travellers go missing this is a fact of using them and playing the game. But when you have a member openly admits basically stealing the item as he has assumed the rights of ownership and is not moving on and told geocaching.com that he is keeping it them some action however futile should be taken. This is totally different to losing lures etc as I too am a fisherman. If someone came and deliberately stole your lures or borrowed them and then refused to return would you simply say" Well its one of those things". Well I certainly wouldnt. You cant have seen how many years I have been a member either so I forgive you.

Thank you for your helpful answers and true I wont be using trackables again.

Thanks swineflu though for your nice comment.

Edited by Horsforth-Seekers

This will be my last comment on the subject that I can only assume you have misunderstood. I have had many travellers go missing this is a fact of using them and playing the game. But when you have a member openly admits basically stealing the item as he has assumed the rights of ownership and is not moving on and told geocaching.com that he is keeping it them some action however futile should be taken. This is totally different to losing lures etc as I too am a fisherman. If someone came and deliberately stole your lures or borrowed them and then refused to return would you simply say" Well its one of those things". Well I certainly wouldnt. You cant have seen how many years I have been a member either so I forgive you.

Thank you for your helpful answers and true I wont be using trackables again.

Thanks swineflu though for your nice comment.

If you lent someone a lure and they never returned it, would you give up fishing? Or would you figure they are cheap enough that it's irritating but not lose any sleep over it?

Over the years I've put half a dozen or so TBs out there, and all disappeared. Some of them barely moved at all before they vanished. It happens. Deal with it, or don't release TBs.

My views are different to yours and that is my right! Goodness me!! such vitriol! definitely last comment!! You have not read what I have said. If someone steals from you whatever the value they should know that this is not allowed. This is part of trying to learn our children to respect law, to respect other peoples property. I have placed many trackables and only ever had one not go missing. this is different, he has actually admitted he is keeping it and therefore sdome action however futile should be taken. No sleep will be lost over losing trackable. But he /she should have some action against them! "deal with it or dont release tbs" how nice you are. I have and i will.

Edited by Horsforth-Seekers

My views are different to yours and that is my right! Goodness me!! such vitriol! definitely last comment!! You have not read what I have said. If someone steals from you whatever the value they should know that this is not allowed. This is part of trying to learn our children to respect law, to respect other peoples property. I have placed many trackables and only ever had one not go missing. this is different, he has actually admitted he is keeping it and therefore sdome action however futile should be taken. No sleep will be lost over losing trackable. But he /she should have some action against them! "deal with it or dont release tbs" how nice you are. I have and i will.

I have over 12 missing trackables, but that don't stop me form collecting them. Only placing them in geocaches to go missing. Same as ammo cans, they go missing too. You fail to understand that there is nothing that Groundspeak can do, only ban the account of a cache maggot. Would that make you feel happy? Justice would be served then, and cache maggot can make a new account and horde more geocoins and get their jollies by upsetting more users like you. It's only a game, don't dump too much money in it. :D Try PMO caches for your coin drops, some say it helps them. B)

The OP would like this thread closed, and I will honor the request.

However, I also want to remind people that when you post in a public forum, you are going to get all kinds of answers. Some helpful, some not helpful, some might even be humorous, or completely off topic.

And you won't often get the answer you are looking for. That doesn't mean it was a bad answer.

Since your original post is gone now, I will close this thread, as requested.

If you release a travel bug into the wild, you never know where its travels will take it, but don't lose hope, some have come back years later. Sometimes, you might email the may holder, and get no response. Many Cachers never even validate their email, so they won't receive your message.

If your travel bug is gone for sure, you can always release a copy tag.