Temporary Geocaches at your permenant cache location

I had a post from a geocacher in reference to my cache- Scottish Korean War Memorial,GC546QT, saying:

'Found today although others had found it today the top was hanging on a nail and the container was hidden without a log book

picture included as proof , sorry no log book'

When I looked at my cache page there was two pictures, (http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/large/5e833965-5d05-4238-8ca0-c0d220533aef.jpg)

(http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/large/c2f8b71e-89a8-45cb-abd2-c408e5c1cd02.jpg)

One of them showing a close location of the cache and the other showing a cache tube with it saying that it was a temporary cache owned by the linlithgow scouts. What are the rules on temporary caches next to permenant ones, and what I should do about this.

Thanks in advance

Brustr

Well since Grounspeak only owns geocaching.com it cannot make rules on other caching sites, or private caches. It's like the NBA can't make rules on your local pickup basketball game in the park.

Second if what the person found was what's in the first picture-the temporary cache- I'd delete it. After all it does say it's a temporary cache, which isn't cache type on geocaching.com(although there are ways to "cheat" the system) and the person admitted that they didn't sign the logbook. But that's just me-if someone admits to that, they get their log deleted. On the other hand, you could very well be a nice guy and let it stand.

But unfortunately Groundspeak can't do anything for caches that aren't listed on their website.

Looks like a Merit Badge type exercise to me as well. Good to see them getting some experience.

Too bad that experience doesn't include the basic "rules" of the game, like cache permanence and saturation guidelines.

They're geocaching.com site listing rules, not the rules of geocaching in general.

The Scout 'temp' also states that it will be removed by Fri 23rd May 2014... that's the bottom line!

Perhaps they put it out for training purposes rather than bother GC caches... In fact I just read it again and it says for "exercise", or they might not even be aware of the OPs cache, just a convenient spot... and of course it's not listed anywhere.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

This is just my opinion, but I would prefer that they just place temp ones and not register them on geocaching.com. It gets frustrating when the scouts saturate an area then do little to no maintenance until a "Needs Archived" gets posted.

The Scout 'temp' also states that it will be removed by Fri 23rd May 2014... that's the bottom line!

Perhaps they put it out for training purposes rather than bother GC caches... In fact I just read it again and it says for "exercise", or they might not even be aware of the OPs cache, just a convenient spot... and of course it's not listed anywhere.

Doug 7rxc

My thoughts too.

With regards to the 'finder' I'd let them know it's not your cache, thank them for letting you know... And maybe cut them a little slack as to not finding your cache. After all they did let you know of a possible problem. (And may even delete their own log themselves)

After the temp cache goes, you really should do a maintenance visit, and post an Owners Maintenance log after to say all is well with the cache. (Scouts may have found/moved it...)

I have never had a problem with scout caches but it seems to be a common problem. Yes, geocaching.com is not the only geocaching web site or "authority", but it is the major one.

Groundspeak ought to be working with the scouting organization to try to head off these problems. One of the rules of the merit badge program should be checking to make sure a "temporary" cache is not placed too close to any other cache.

Scouting ought to be teaching responsibility along with everything else involved with the geocaching merit badge and that means either specifically placing temporary caches and removing them after a set period of time if they are not going to be maintained, or maintaining permanent caches per the rules if they are listed on geocaching.com.

Edited by KC2WI

I have never had a problem with scout caches but it seems to be a common problem. Yes, geocaching.com is not the only geocaching web site or "authority", but it is the major one.

Groundspeak ought to be working with the scouting organization to try to head off these problems. One of the rules of the merit badge program should be checking to make sure a "temporary" cache is not placed too close to any other cache.

Scouting ought to be teaching responsibility along with everything else involved with the geocaching merit badge and that means either specifically placing temporary caches and removing them after a set period of time if they are not going to be maintained, or maintaining permanent caches per the rules if they are listed on geocaching.com.

Just like so many other things in life, the learners are at the mercy of the Teacher, or in the case of Scouts, the Merit Badge Councilor. If that person does not teach the responsibility aspect of cache ownership, then the Scouts may not even be aware of its importance. I have found several Scout-owned caches, and so far, all were properly maintained. One is a few years old now, and one was archived after a two-plus year life. I believe in these cases, the Scouts were well-taught, while in other cases that may not be the case.

In the case of the OP, perhaps he should contact the Scout group and offer to assist teaching the Scouts about Geocaching, from the view-point of an experienced cacher. I'm sure the boys would like the voice of experience helping them learn about our hobby.

It's no secret the that vast majority of posters around here are American (with quite a few Canadians thrown in), but it is interesting to note the OP is NOT from North America, he's from The UK. There may or may not even be a Scouting Merit over there, and I've personally never heard of any American or Canadian Scouts putting out temporary caches for "exercises", and most certainly not for the BSA Merit Badge.

This thing is well labeled, and even has a contact phone number. All is good.

Looks like a Merit Badge type exercise to me as well. Good to see them getting some experience.

Too bad that experience doesn't include the basic "rules" of the game, like cache permanence and saturation guidelines.

The badge is fairly thorough...if that was part of a badge workshop, it was probably hidden for the duration of the workshop so that the boys could practice with the GPSr units (using waypoints for the temporary cache locations) and so that they could experience different kinds of hides. Maybe it was forgotten when the leader picked up, but putting out "practice" containers doesn't mean they're not learning the rules. In fact, doing so means a much greater variety of difficulties and containers than we would find in an area small enough to reasonably walk in the amount of time the kids are there. (Though I wouldn't hide one on top of another cache location--too confusing.)

Mr. Yuck--Yes, the UK has a geocaching scout badge. Also yes, for the American one I hide about 20 containers for the span of a few hours for these kinds of workshops so that each Scout learns to navigate using a GPSr. Then we go find real caches.

I work with an organization called Pathfinders that is sort of like Boyscouts/Girlscouts, but it's co-ed. Pathfinders give out patches for new skills learned during club activities. There is a basic and advanced honor for Geocaching.

I've set up temporary caches to show different sorts of hides for the kids to earn the honor (and have taught the class). But I only set up those temporary caches on private property (summer camps). The honor requires that you find real caches as well, but setting up temporary caches is easier for some of the honor because the temporary caches can be closer together and show greater variety.