User corrected coordinates - feature request

LQ

Corrected Coordinates (hidden from others) is a very nice feature, that's available for multis and unknowns, but for some reason not for whereIgos, letterboxes and perhaps other cache types not located at the listed coordinates. If you ask me, I even need this feature for traditionals from time to time, when some not too responsive beginner have the official coordinates off by 10 meters or so and some trusted user have included better suggestions in their log.

Any chance we could get this feature at least for said non tradidional types at some point?

Edited by LQ
I am not sure that I understand how this could be used for a Letterbox hybrid. Unless it's at the starting coords, you need to follow the instructions to get to the final. Where would you get the corrected coords? You have me befuzzled here.
I would expect it to be used by people who keep track of where local caches are actually located, to avoid saturation issues with their own caches.
I am not sure that I understand how this could be used for a Letterbox hybrid. Unless it's at the starting coords, you need to follow the instructions to get to the final. Where would you get the corrected coords? You have me befuzzled here.
I would expect it to be used by people who keep track of where local caches are actually located, to avoid saturation issues with their own caches.

Ah! Okay! Must be fifteen or twenty geocachers worldwide that this would appeal to. Sounds like a very low priority. Just put the coords in your GPS as a waypoint, and you have it!

Just put the coords in your GPS as a waypoint, and you have it!
Yeah, except that some of us wipe out the contents of our GPS receivers on a regular basis. If the physical cache locations are stored in the geocaching.com database, then it's easy enough to download the local cache data (found and unfound caches alike) when we're checking potential cache ocations.
Yeah, except that some of us wipe out the contents of our GPS receivers on a regular basis. If the physical cache locations are stored in the geocaching.com database, then it's easy enough to download the local cache data (found and unfound caches alike) when we're checking potential cache ocations.

There probably aren't many that would use corrected coordinates for a letterbox hybrid, but if corrected coordinates could be added for *any* cache type, users that wanted to could use the feature would have it available for any cache type, or not use it at all. I would find it especially useful for a multi-stage multi where I was only able to complete some of the preliminary stages. I know I've got at least a couple of multi caches that I started but didn't complete on the day I started and would have to start from the beginning because I can't find the coordinates I wrote down somewhere after completing a stage. I have also seen a lot of traditional caches which have a log along the lines of "I found the cache 75 feet from the posted coordinates...try these coordinates". Sometimes caches owners don't update their listings in a timely manner. My vote would be to allow corrected coordinates for any cache type, even if the feature wouldn't be used much for some. That way, the code doesn't have to do anything different for specific cache types. It would just always render that little pencil which allows a user to add corrected coordinates.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Better Idea is - use GSAK (commercial) or GeoGet (free)

Better Idea is - use GSAK (commercial) or GeoGet (free)
Not all of us run MS Windows.

But more to the point, these kinds of features should be built into the geocaching.com corrected coordinates system. Then they're available to everyone without the need for third-party systems or the extra steps required to use a third-party system.

I don't get the need wherigos. I mean, you are suing something to navigate the Wherigo, and you use the same thing to navigate to the final.

So for a Wherigo I use my iPhone. But not the regular app, I use the Wherigo app. You get the final coords at the end. Just use the same thing!

Because all letterboxes need to have the final coords posted. So nowadays people just want to change the final coords off jump street and skip all that "letter boxing" to get straight to the final

To me this strikes as lazy. If I need coords added, I just add a wpt. Easy to do on every device I own. Like, so freakin easy that having GS implement this seems like a crazy waste of time and valuable resources.

But hey, that's just me.

I don't get the need wherigos. I mean, you are suing something to navigate the Wherigo, and you use the same thing to navigate to the final.

So for a Wherigo I use my iPhone. But not the regular app, I use the Wherigo app. You get the final coords at the end. Just use the same thing!

Because all letterboxes need to have the final coords posted. So nowadays people just want to change the final coords off jump street and skip all that "letter boxing" to get straight to the final

To me this strikes as lazy. If I need coords added, I just add a wpt. Easy to do on every device I own. Like, so freakin easy that having GS implement this seems like a crazy waste of time and valuable resources.

But hey, that's just me.

At least in my neighborhood letterbox hybrids usually can be solved as mystery cache, too.

About the work load on GS, they just need to remove the code, that checks weather a cache type is eligible for corrected coordinates. This would apply for all current and future cache types.

But hey, that's just me.

At least in my neighborhood letterbox hybrids usually can be solved as mystery cache, too.

About the work load on GS, they just need to remove the code, that checks weather a cache type is eligible for corrected coordinates. This would apply for all current and future cache types.

Exactly, so in the meantime I wrote a gresemonkey script to do just that, so that I can correct the coords for tradis where the owners fail to do so. And if you expect low usage of this feture, then the sever load will be very marginal too, right?

BTW:some posters reasoning for why this ain't needed for WIG:s and LB:s could apply to multis too, where this functionality already is.

e7abc882-8305-49ea-af89-9b3c4e61b724.png

Seems no one (from Groundspeak) ever cared to answer this, but good(?) news from another thread:

It is planned to extend this functionality to all cache types. Before we do so, we are working on improving the mechanism so that the API and web site do a better job recognizing and synchronizing a user's changes.

Edited by LQ

So for a Wherigo I use my iPhone. But not the regular app, I use the Wherigo app. You get the final coords at the end.

Well, only because you've used only such wherigos, it doesn't mean that there aren't others.

There are wherigos that you can play anywhere, update the coordinates and when you finally go to the actual point, you have the correct coordinates in the pocket query.

Some wherigos give away the numbers to calculate the final coords. If you make an error, you can fix it at home.

And just a trivial case - you get the coords but you don't find the final. Either it's away, or it's too good hidden, or just you can't reach it (too high). If you write the coordinates, you can have them anytime you go back to the same place.

As for letterboxes, just note, many of them are quizes meant to make at home. Many are multis, so if you make an error on any stage, and with the help of the owner you correct it, you want to update the coords. Same as with 'classic' picture letterbox where you stop in half and want to easy resume in the future (which doesn't mean the next day, it may mean the next year or so).