Garmin GPSMAP 64S upload gpx from phone via bluetooth

Hi. After 2 years of caching with phone I decided to buy dedicated GPS device for convenient holding, better accuracy, rain/drop proof. So I have chosen GPSMAP 64S. Is it a good choice?

But I cannot understand one thing: is it possible to upload gpx'es from android phone via bluetooth? Because I am not planning to take my laptop on vacations where the phone will be used to plan caches on the go.

Edited by vukisz

I bought 64s anyway. The only spec why I choosed 64s over 64 was bluetooth and gpx upload. So far I failed to find a way to upload anything from my phone to device ;-(

And garmin made iphone app for this task, but not the android one. Let's hope that it will release similar app to android also. If not the bluetooth of this device will be waste of money :(

OTA cable works pretty good from my GS3 to the 64s. I have not been able to get the 64s to see the GS3 via bluetooth though. I think the 64s requires Be 4.0.

What cable exactly are you using? And how you see your 64s from android? Through file manager, or other app?

EDIT: bought micro usb female to normal usb female adapter cable. Connected to garmin device through cable and nothing. Bit of googling showed that I need some special app on android stickMount to see external drives when connected through OTG. And finally I can see garmin device from android!

According to the manual, the 64s can exchange data with smartphones using Basecamp Mobile. But I can only find this for iPhones, not Android. Is there an Android

There is only dozens of request topics of Basecamp for android:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?40762-Where-is-basecamp-for-Android/page3

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?32167-When-will-basecamp-come-to-Android/page4

Edited by vukisz

According to the manual, the 64s can exchange data with smartphones using Basecamp Mobile. But I can only find this for iPhones, not Android. Is there an Android version?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-trail-maps/on-the-trail-apps/garmin-basecamp-mobile/prod126765.html

Have you tested this with Basecamp Mobile? It would be great if the 64S can transfer GPX to an iOS device.

I have not tested the current version of Basecamp Mobile. Last time I played with it was some versions back, and it didn't offer me any features I needed. I don't know if it still works the same way - but all syncing of data between your devices passed through Garmin Connect cloud.

I routinely copy GPX files, maps, and firmware updates to my eTrex 20 from my iPad over WiFi -- so a bluetooth link doesn't excite me enough to buy a new GPS.

wait for it

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=311111

Edited by user13371

Just got 64s and use an iphone with basecamp mobile

I download my PQ to dropbox then via pc transfer the GPX file to 64s

This morning i transferred a single GC GPX to the 64s via base camp OK

STEPS

Go to dropboxapp

Open saved file.

In the -open in- section open in basecamp

It will take a few moments

Then transfer to device from. Base camp

You need to have 64s connected via blue tooth

However

I then did an 800 GC PQ GPX file and it got to basecamp ok

But when I asked to upload to 64s it asked me to select each GC within the PQ

there is no select all option. I could have gone thru and ticked all i guess

Might suggest that to basecamp developer

It is moving in the right direction

Mike

Update.

Having loaded single GPX file in 64s it treats it like a waypoint

If you hit Go it shows route and heading etc but does not give paperless GC data

Bah!!!

This sounds to me as though you have .loc files loaded into the unit. If there are ANY .loc files loaded, the unit will default .gpx files to .loc format (similar to that of a waypoint only -- no paperless-style data). This is regardless if later downloads were of .gpx format or not.

You say that you just got a 64s... did you upgrade to Premium Membership using the 'free trial upgrade'... and, had you loaded geocaches prior to that upgrade? If so, then that is your problem, you'll need to delete ALL data downloaded prior to the PM upgrade.

Anything loaded to the GPSr prior to Premium Membership will be of .loc format -- it is a PM benefit and available only to Premium Members.

Once done, .gpx downloads will function as they should... "paperlessly".

----------

If such is not the case, then the problem is of another nature. Just be aware that .loc files and .gpx files do not play well together.

Update.

Having loaded single GPX file in 64s it treats it like a waypoint

If you hit Go it shows route and heading etc but does not give paperless GC data

Bah!!!

This sounds to me as though you have .loc files loaded into the unit. If there are ANY .loc files loaded, the unit will default .gpx files to .loc format (similar to that of a waypoint only -- no paperless-style data).

It is just how basecamp mobile works - or does not work. This morning I again tried it with my Oregon 600 just to confirm my previous experience. It required me to check each cache I wanted to transfer and then would only send the information as a waypoint rather than include the full details. When I first downloaded the app, I was mildily disappointed since it would have been nice to create a GPX file with the caching app I use and export the full data directly through the bluetooth connection..

I use Kingston MobileLite to transfer files from my iphone - connecting the Oregon to MobileLite through a USB cable and sending the file from the phone with wifi - but if basecamp had fully supported bluetooth transfer it would have saved the extra step. I keep it on my phone in case garmin ever upgrades it, but it just takes up space.

Edited by geodarts

First of all, there's no need to involve Basecamp to get your PQ's onto the 64's unless you intend to do some maintenance on the PQ first. Just drag and drop the PQ GPX file into the 64's Garmin\gpx folder. If you *do* wish to use Basecamp first, use the 'export list' option in Basecamp to export the entire list to a single GPX file and tell it to save to the 64\Garmin\GPX folder. Everything in that List will be contained in that single GPX file; geocaches, waypoints, trailheads, tracks, etc. You will get the full descriptions and logs, too. I do it this way all the time.

First of all, there's no need to involve Basecamp to get your PQ's onto the 64's unless you intend to do some maintenance on the PQ first. Just drag and drop the PQ GPX file into the 64's Garmin\gpx folder. If you *do* wish to use Basecamp first, use the 'export list' option in Basecamp to export the entire list to a single GPX file and tell it to save to the 64\Garmin\GPX folder. Everything in that List will be contained in that single GPX file; geocaches, waypoints, trailheads, tracks, etc. You will get the full descriptions and logs, too. I do it this way all the time.

Granted, but most of the time I want to transfer the file directly from my phone rather than use a computer. I use my phone's caching app to filter and merge online searches or pocket queries. I also use it to keep track of solved puzzles with changed coordinates. If I want to use my handheld gpsr, I need to export the resulting GPX file to it.

It's also nice to travel without a computer and have the flexibility to transfer a GPX file through the phone or tablet.

I had hoped that basecamp mobile would support this and allow a full GPX file to be moved from the phone to the newer Oregon's or 64s through its bluetooth connection. It doesn't. Wifi devices (like Kingston MobileLite or RavPower 5-in-1) work well with iPhones and mobile devices. Many androids also let you do this through OTG cable transfer. Still, I keep hoping that Garmin will update their app to provide greater functionality.

Edited by geodarts

Whoops - didn't notice until now that the OP was talking about BaseCamp Mobile. My post above regards BaseCamp Desktop.

Thanks for your posts

I am trying to get rid of the ' need a PC' step in terms of loading PQ's on my 64s

( i had a 62s for 3 yrs. and dropped in 5 meters of water. End of....)

My current method is via a PC to download PQ to dropbox, unzip and copy it direct to 64s memory. I have UK Ord survey SD card so dont want to put PQ on that

I can get the unzipped file from dropbox onto my iphone 4s. So i am intrigued by 'poster' who gets GPX files to his 64s via a kingston mobile lite unit

Can i please be pointed in the direction of instructions as to how to do this ?

From what i have seen it involves copying to an SD card which for me is a NO. NO.

what i seem to need is an app which identifies the file on iphone and sees the target destination on the 64s and allows the transfer

Is this possible or am I asking too much?

Many thanks in anticipation

Mike

Hi 13371

Many thanks for pointing me off to your other posting

I have since taken your recommendation and bought a RAV wifi file hub and down loaded the Filebrowser App

I am getting there by trial and many errors

(You will remember I didn't want to add GPX FILES. To my UK ORDNANCE SURVEY map SD CARD)

So, thus far I have downloaded new GPX FILES from dropbox eventually to the 64s on the unit itself

HOWEVER

when I mounted the 64s to the Rav file hub with the Map SD card in it, Filebrowser only saw the SD CARD. In fact there were 2 lines of the same thing

No way did it show me the Unit data with the Gpx files

I then took out the SD card and remounted it and there was all the unit's folders inc GPX. I then loaded my new GPX FILE to the 64s itself

I if I look at another Device , my NAS, it shows me all the folders.

Strange!!

Any thoughts to help me on my way. ? Please. If I can avoid taking out the mini SD card that will be good

Thanks in anticipation

Mike

Mike:

That's interesting. My first thought is that the FileHub doesn't know how to address the Garmin's "drives" when there are multiple volumes (built-in storage and memory card). I have my filehub at the office and my GPS is at home so I can't look at it right this minute, but I'll try this evening.

Not sure I can duplicate it on my eTrex 20 though. Is there a setting on the Garmin 64s, under USB or computer connection menu, to enable/disable mounting the memory card?

-Lee

Mike:

That's interesting. My first thought is that the FileHub doesn't know how to address the Garmin's "drives" when there are multiple volumes (built-in storage and memory card). I have my filehub at the office and my GPS is at home so I can't look at it right this minute, but I'll try this evening.

Not sure I can duplicate it on my eTrex 20 though. Is there a setting on the Garmin 64s, under USB or computer connection menu, to enable/disable mounting the memory card?

-Lee

Lee

Thanks..

Have had another 'play' to no avail

There is no switch go turn off the SD card, you can only turn off maps

Have tried different interfaces in the 'comms' section of the 64s again to no avail ( Garmin spanner/serial etc)

Have tried putting an SD card in the other slot at the same time as the Garmin. The RAV sees the two cards ie SD full size and that in the 64s

I take out the mini SD with the maps and one sees the base 64s folders, which is what I want

It seems that it cant deal with multi volumes on the same input point. That is SD CARD or USB input

Look forward to hearing what you find

Mike

Well, this is strange.

When I connect my eTrex 20 to my router and look in FileBrowser, it shows two volumes; one named "Garmin" and the other named "MicroSD." As it should be.

When I connect it to the RavPower FileHub, it shows only one volume, named USB_Disk1_Volume1. And that's not even the strange part. I retried several times, and sometimes the volume that mounted was the Garmin's internal memory, and other times the card. I could not find a reliable pattern, but mynguess is that variations in timing and sequence, when the Garmin "exposed" these mount points to the filehub, account for the difference. I coudln't get it to show both at the same time though.

I also don't recall seeing this before. But I just got a new one of these hubs - the vendor replaced a broken one - and I wonder if they changed how that worked.

I might email SunvalleyTek and ask some questions, but their English (and my total lack of Chinese) makes communication tricky.

If this is a show-stopper for you, perhaps you could return the product. I'd hate to think you bought something on my recommendation that didn't work out.

Edited by user13371

And that's not even the strange part. I retried several times, and sometimes the volume that mounted was the Garmin's internal memory, and other times the card. I could not find a reliable pattern, but mynguess is that variations in timing and sequence, when the Garmin "exposed" these mount points to the filehub, account for the difference. I coudln't get it to show both at the same time though.

That has generally been my experience with the MobileLite as well. Usually it connects to the internal unit right away. I generally want to transfer GPX files to the sd card, and if I reconnect the gpsr, the app will pick up the sd card instead. I have thought about playing around with the sequence - whether connecting the unit and starting the Mobilelite manager in any particular order will get one or the other, or if other file managers would get a different result - but have not had time to play around with it.

----------

Having just connected first to my Oregon 600 and then my 62s to mobilelite, the app showed the internal gpsr first, but cycled to the sd card and back to the internal memory every time I pulled the USB cord from the MobileLite device itself. I left the gpsr on and the app open. It seemed to be pretty consistent over eight to ten tries. I wonder if RavPower works the same way.

Edited by geodarts

Geodarts, thanks for the comparison to the MobileLite. I was thinking of getting a few other models to try. As I see it, my home router (Apple TimeCapsule) "does the right thing" by showing multiple volumes on the GPSR with their correct names. Doesn't sound like the RavPower or the MobileLite will do that reliably but until Mike pointed it out I hadn't noticed. I usually load my GPS using my home router - I do use the FileHub in the field sometimes but this hasn't presented a problem to me.

Apart from mounting multiple volumes on one USB connection (and unrelated to geocaching, I guess), I'd really like to find on of these wireless hubs that supports different volume formats. My Apple time capsule doesn't support r/w to NTFS, and the RavPower doesn't support HFS. Neither of them seem to support exFAT.

This one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D7FRQMU/ref=&qid=1403098847 is on order for playing, er, work-related testing.

Edited by user13371

This may or may not be helpful info. But to get my Samsung Android phone to connect to the 64s I had to change some settings on the 64s. They might make a difference with your setup.

Setup/System/Interface

Set Garmin Spanner

NMEA Sentences On

Garmin Proprietary On

My phone sees both internal memory and the SD card on the 64s. Wouldn't recognize it at all until I made those changes.

Thanks for the tips on the 64s set up

Where is the Garmin. Proprietary switch. Couldnt find it

Tried using IOS filehub app. Saw two volumes both the same. Ie the sd card. Shame perhaps the last point above is the key!

Lee i am really glad you pointed me to this kit. Despite the volume recognition problem for which I have a workaround , it frees me from having to have a pc

Had a problem a few yrs ago with my 62s in Australia when it just didnt throw up the contents of the GPX file. It was there but had to find a pc and reload GPX FILES from a stick.

Potentially it was 1000 gc's to find in Aus which disappeared overnight!!!

If this was around then it would not have been a problem

Look forward to hearing re first para please

Mike

Thanks for the tips on the 64s set up

Where is the Garmin. Proprietary switch. Couldnt find it

Tried using IOS filehub app. Saw two volumes both the same. Ie the sd card. Shame perhaps the last point above is the key!

Lee i am really glad you pointed me to this kit. Despite the volume recognition problem for which I have a workaround , it frees me from having to have a pc

Had a problem a few yrs ago with my 62s in Australia when it just didnt throw up the contents of the GPX file. It was there but had to find a pc and reload GPX FILES from a stick.

Potentially it was 1000 gc's to find in Aus which disappeared overnight!!!

If this was around then it would not have been a problem

Look forward to hearing re first para please

Mike

You have to click on the option "NMEA Sentences On" and after selecting 'On' again, it opens up another screen with the "Proprietary" option.

Just got the ioGear mediahub a few minutes ago. First thing you want to know - NOPE, it only sees a single USB_DISK1_Volume1 for my eTrex 30, as did the RavPower. The fact that it shows up exactly that way makes me thing it's probably the same chipset or underlying programming as the RavPower to handle it's SMB protocols.

On first launch at least, it's showing the internal storage rather than the microSD card. I wouldn't count on that though, as it was hit-or-miss with the RavPower. I do have a request in to SunValleyTek about this.

Other first impression - smaller footprint, slightly thicker, feels more solidly built. Has an ethernet jack on it so you can use it as a hotspot on your wired network, a convenience I might enjoy.

But it is about $10 more than the RavPower. I'll decide over the next few days if it's really work it.

And somewhat later...

Yes, the RavPower and ioGear share their code base. I downloaded firmware 2.000.014 from both ioMega and RavPower and they match now. I wonder who actually makes the chipset and if there's a universal/unbranded firmware package available.

After updating them to 2.000.014, they both seem to mount Garmin internal storage consistently, in preference to the MicroSD card - which is what MikeD wanted. If you want to load anything on the card you have to pull it out of the GPS and put it in the card slot on the hub.

I have better luck using FileBrowser app on jmy iPad than the branded RavPowet and ioGear apps ore web interface.

Still, to me the ideal functionality would be what my Apple TimeCapsule does - show all of the shares on any device connected to its USB port.

Edited by user13371

Hi Lee et al

Like you I contacted SunValleyTek, simply because they asked me 'how was the unit for me?!'

I emailed back and sent screen shots etc etc. I wont bother to set out here what I said.

Anyway here is the reply, nothing really new but breath not being held!

"Thanks for the reply and your efforts and time in trying to get me fully understand the situation. Actually our filehub could only read one sd card once. The two volumes on your Garmin equal to two sd cards. This is why you could only read the sd card or Garmin at one time. This occurs because of the limitation of the software and our product management center is trying to solve the this limitation. But they still could not find a method. I am really sorry about the inconvenience caused. Please retain your confidence in our product. With the development of the technology, we will find out a way sooner or later.

Best regards,

Sindy

Sunvalleytek-UK Customer Care

I had to explain to Sindy what a 'Volume' was, despite the fact that the word pops up on their own iPhone app.

I think , looking at the web SunValley..... Are the marketing arm or perhaps a wholesaler based in California, US.

I was not getting through to the ' organ grinder!!

We will see

Mike

MikeD:

With so many gizmos using the same basic firmware (RavPower, ioGear, HooToo, others) -- and all having the same issue -- I think you'd have to figure out who the parent is of that firmware and get them to change it. I haven't figured out who that is yet.

-Lee

I contacted Kingston about whether their device (mobilelite) can support multiple drives connected to a single USB port - such as both the internal memory and sd card on my gpsr. I was told that it could support only one drive connected to a USB port and for certain reasons (that I cannot remember) it was unlikely to change. That seems to be a basic limitation with all the wifi devices, since I do not think that Kingston shares the same firmware with RavPower.

It is only a minor inconvenience since mobilelite defaults to the internal memory but switches to the sd card if I unplug the gpsr and reconnect it. If I needed to see both at once, I could always take the sd card out of the gpsr and connect it to mobilelite - but for my needs the reconnect workaround works fine.

(kingston) could support only one drive connected to a USB port ... That seems to be a basic limitation with all the wifi devices

Not so. I have other routers at home and at work with USB ports that support WebDAV and SMB, and they all support multiple volumes on a given USB port/hub. As noted earlier in this thread, my Apple TimeCapsule shows my eTrex 30 as two volumes; "Garmin," and "MicroSD". It's just my portable ones that don't do this.

...It is only a minor inconvenience since ...

Yeah, here I agree with you. I hadn't even noticed the issue myself until MikeD pointed it out. I typically transfer GPS data to/from my iPad at home - on the aforementioned TimeCapsule - and the few times I've had to do so ini the field I didn't pay attention to which volume was present.

Would be nice if it worked, but it's not a show stoppper for me either.

Not so. I have other routers at home and at work with USB ports that support WebDAV and SMB, and they all support multiple volumes on a given USB port/hub. As noted earlier in this thread, my Apple TimeCapsule shows my eTrex 30 as two volumes; "Garmin," and "MicroSD". It's just my portable ones that don't do this.

Yes, I was thinking in terms of the portable wifi devices. Both the sd card and internal memory show up at home.

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I'm looking for some confirmation here to better guide me on which model to purchase.

I have my eyes on the Garmin 64, but the 64s is just slightly more expensive.

I do have an iPad and Basecamp Mobile is compatible with the device.

If I get the Garmin 64, I know I can just plug a USB cable to the unit and transfer the GPX files from the Garmin 64 to my PC.

The Garmin 64s have bluetooth. I'm not aware of any method of connecting the 64s to a PC or Mac and transfer GPX files via bluetooth. Can anyone here confirm that I can indeed transfer GPX files from the Garmin 64s to my iPad via bluetooth? That will definitely make things more convenient and I'll gladly pay more for just that feature. If not, then I think I'm better off buying the Garmin 64 and save myself some money.

Thanks!

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I'm looking for some confirmation here to better guide me on which model to purchase.

I have my eyes on the Garmin 64, but the 64s is just slightly more expensive.

I do have an iPad and Basecamp Mobile is compatible with the device.

If I get the Garmin 64, I know I can just plug a USB cable to the unit and transfer the GPX files from the Garmin 64 to my PC.

The Garmin 64s have bluetooth. I'm not aware of any method of connecting the 64s to a PC or Mac and transfer GPX files via bluetooth. Can anyone here confirm that I can indeed transfer GPX files from the Garmin 64s to my iPad via bluetooth? That will definitely make things more convenient and I'll gladly pay more for just that feature. If not, then I think I'm better off buying the Garmin 64 and save myself some money.

Thanks!

Hi

The 64s will transfer GC from Basecamp via Bluetooth BUT not all the file. Only coordinates, no hint previous logs etc

Not a lot us use

This is why I went down the RAV FILEHUB route. That works well even though I have to take the memory card out see above

I don't need a pc out in the field or away from home

The iPhone app I use is file browser

I just download the GPX file to the phone, hard wire the gps to the hub and have little Wi-Fi network for the transfer job done

You don't need bluetooth for that but I recommend you go for the 64s anyway. Do a comparison on the Garmin site

Hope this helps

Mike

Honestly, I've been a little underwhelmed by Garmin's handling of Bluetooth. Instead of having phone notifications or live tracking, I would have liked to have the ability to do exactly as you described. I can confirm that between their BaseCamp app and their Connect app, it is possible to send / receive waypoints to the GPS, and upload track logs. Better than nothing, but still plenty of room to grow in this area.